Our troop has come across a great fundraiser -

low cost - high profit - very low (pester the neighbors and family) annoyance factor -

WATER!

yup - plain old bottles of drinking water - the 16 oz size. We buy them from Sam's club (tax exempt, too!) at about $.17 each and sell them for $1 each at fairs, parades, community events. Anything we don't sell is easy to store and non-perishable. (and even if the boys drink some of the profits, it doesn't matter! - we're still way ahead!)

We usually freeze about half the bottles (yup - frozen solid) because it keeps the others cold, and we've found that on a hot, humid day, people love to carry around a big ice cube! it melts really fast, and people find it cools them down - we see people walking around with these pressed against heads, inside their arms, on the back of their necks.

We now have people looking for our Troop at community events.

Our most recent event was a parade in town - 12 - 2:30 - we bought 24 cases for about $140 and collected over $800. - and we were sold out in the first 1 1/2 hours!

hey - that's about $300 bucks an hour - I think I'm changing careers.......

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a great idea! Our troop is always on the lookout for fundraisers that don't impoverish the usual family, friends, neighbors. Since we are a Florida troop in a community that has lots of events, this could be really profitable for us. I'll bring it up at our next committee meeting.

Thanks for the info!

At our annual yard sale a few weeks ago we could have used this. We talked about doing it next time. I think it would help keep people shopping at the yard sale too.

One thing to be aware of in seling bottled water. We have had problems with this due to the fact that A wel known locla orginzation was selling water at a parade and The Salvation Army was asked by the Parade orgainzers to provide it to parade participants. The problem was caused by the fact that The Salvation Army and the other group ended up in the same parking lot distruibiting water and the Salvation Army doesn't always mark their vehicles and my Scout Uniform shirt was hanging in the van as were also marching in the parade. They instantly assumed we were selling water instead of giving it away.

The moral of the Story check with the event organizers in advance.(This message has been edited by scomman)