Fundraising Ideas Needed

ALL,

The silence is deafening.

I would really appreciate your comments and feed-back to our EMSfile as a fundraising product. In our early market research, we previewed our products to youth ministers and local Scout leaders. They all commented with great! Im so tried of selling candy (or cookiesor popcorn). Our product has proven to save lives and provide lasting value to those who purchase.

A major credo of Scouting is to serve others

Please comment

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JimHayes1949,

Although I'm sure you represent a fine product, as a scout leader you must surely be aware that to sell a brand name product such as yours, a scout or scout unit would not be allowed to wear their uniform or to mention scouting at any time in the sales presentation or during advertising,payment or delivery of the product.

That being the case it is far more difficult to sell a name brand product. I would never support its use as a fundraiser in a unit.

Bob White

JimHayes1949

Most people think emergencies never happen to them. Yet, they do get the munchies and want popcorn or can give popcorn as a gift.

Are my local paramedics going to know about this little sticker and the bottle in my refrigerator? Why can't I just print up my medical information and post it on my refrigerator door?

Just my two cents worth....

AND yesterday a neighbor stopped and asked me when we would be selling popcorn again.

Boy Scouts are only allowed to wear their uniform when selling the Trail's End popcorn. It is the only product that National will allow to be sold in uniform. The local unit and the council get profits from the sale.

Nope! They don't bake them or do any of the work for them but they have no problem letting us do it! You really don't want to know my whole opinion of the Girl Scout Organization because lately I don't have anything nice to say. If you would like to contact them you can and I'll get you the website address but I doubt you'll get anywhere. If it's not self serving for their needs then they don't bother.

SCTMOM

peekaswine

Thanks for replies.

I guess what we would be is the non-consumable; non-perishable version of Trails Ends popcorn or Girl Scout Cookies.

We can private label and establish a similar revenue sharing program for local and regional councils.

jimhayes1949,

As sctmom pointed out Trails End Popcorn is the only Commercial product approved by the BSA to be sold in the Scout uniform. The BSA works closely with Trails End to control product quality, cost, profit margins, delivery and distribution, marketing and prize programs. Because the scouting name and uniform is a tradmark controled product of the BSA they have sole authority over the use of that trademark for advertising and sales any name brand product that the name and uniform is used for.

Scout units can sell non-branded products such as Scout Show tickets, Pancke breakfast tickets, Christmas wreathes etc.

However your product does not have national endorsement and so any unit that chose to sell it would be prohibited from the use of any connection visually, orally or print, with the Boy Scout movement. Whoever your scout connection was when you formed your company should have been well aware of this policy.

Bob White

Bob White

Thanks for reply.

I have spoken with the national office of the Boy Scouts and their director of fundraising. My understanding is that they, unlike the Girl Scouts, do not do ANY national PRODUCT sales. I was informed that such sales decisions are the purview of the regional councils and that the popcorn program is authorized and administered at council level.

I will try to confirm my understanding.

I am sorry if I have given you a wrong impression. We have been producing the EMSfiles and saving lives since 1996. We have done so primarily with television stations and very reputable national and local sponsors of our programs. Our program was even the basis for an Eagle Scout project. I would invite you to visit our site at www.emsfile.com and select the "Participating Stations" button. There you will see some of the Stations and Sponsors we have had the pleasure to provide our program to.

Thanks again for your comments. If you would like to call me or e-mail me directly, I can be reached at jimhayes@emsfile.com or 409-892-8194

jim

Jimhayes1949

Whether or not a local council chooses to participate in popcorn is a local decision. That does not change national BSA's control of the name and symbols of scouting movement. They would still have final say over whether or not the name and uniform of the BSA could be associated with a brand name. The current policy is spelled out on the national form "Unit Money Earning Application". This form is required to tbe completed by any unit in the BSA doing any fundraising project. The rules for uniform wear and BSA name association are printed on that form.

As an aside just in case your product or any product a unit is considering selling requires a contract to be signed, you will need to know that a scout unit is not a legal entity. No "unit" can enter into a contract. Only the Council executive can sign a contract within the council. A contract signed by a leader is an independent committment and only that individual is legally responsible for the conditions of the contract.

Bob White

Bob White

Thanks again for replies.

This is some great information. Whatever we do we certainly want to do in conformity with any and all regulations. The information you have given me is very helpful. I know better what the issues are and what I'll need to do to "thread the needle" in having Scouts adopt our Program.

Once again, thanks

Best wishes,

jim

• 4 weeks later...

This thread seems to have dies off a bit but here goes...

We have raised $3500 from selling sausages in bread with onion and sauce every saturday since Aug 2001. With all families taking part one at a time that is once every 6-8 weeks for us and for you mega troops in the USA that might mean much less. Each Sat earns $100 on average (yes I know that with the exchange rate that is $52 US but all the same..) It is money earned - not donated.

We sold toffee apples and got $300 in a day.

We are selling Mothers day hanging baskets and at about $10 per basket expect to make $500 at least.

We are making little first aid kits called the "Hero Pack" that contain sachets and bandaid strips etc for $5 per pack. It's a bit gimmicky but think that it will go all right.

What sells these items is Scouts in uniform. Keep the parents hidden in the background and people line up. When the Scouts are seen to be working hard people want to help and buy up. When the parents come forward or the Scouts are not busy everyone walks by.

We also advertise that we are sponsoring Scouting in a small pacific nation and that we intend to go there. That helps too. It also keeps the Scouts motivated.

We like your cookbook idea. Will try that next. We are a bit busy at the moment.