UPS and Intel end support of BSA

Judging from all the viewpoints in this thread, one can assume that UPS had support from an element inside BSA that wanted to include gay leaders.

Can you imagine what YPT will become?

"Two adult leaders must be present at all time; at least one of whom must be gay."

The left really wants to eliminate Boy Scouts as one of the last Male Bastions. If BSA eventually succumbs to media pressure and allows gay leaders, what do you think will happen to enrollment numbers? We'll lose a few raging homophobes; but we'll loose a LOT of religious and moral folks. One third?

The media is already eroding BSA's moral high ground by inflating the 'Perversion Files.' (Irony alert: Why would any moral gay man want to associate with a bunch of Boy Scout perverts?)

You know; in a digital world, Scout Skills, woodcraft and character as taught by the Boy Scouts may no longer be appropriate. Maybe it's time for the BSA to fade away.

But let's go down being true to the code we grew on.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"moral gay man"

I thought that was the issue, that gay men could not be moral, or moral enough at the very least

"But let's go down being true to the code we grew on."

I got my Eagle in 1969,I was not aware gays could not be in scouts or a scouter back then. Perhaps it was implied but I missed it.

OGE: I knew somebody would rise to that bait!

I don't think gay morals are crooked; just different. The straight objection to having gay scout leaders is based on a parent's desire to not expose their young sons to gay men as role models.

Fear of recruitment is real; the fear, not the recruitment.

I must have missed the memo on how much FedEx donates to the Boy Scouts.

"Fear of recruitment is real; the fear, not the recruitment."

So of course the solution is to pander to those who have that unreal fear, which reinforces their fear, instead of telling them to get over their fear and setting the example in showing them that their fear is unfounded.

"I don't think gay morals are crooked; just different."

I'd really love someone to explain to me just what is different between gay morals and straight morals, without someone assuming that all gays must act some certain way while ignoring that some straights act the same way. If the word "most" is used, then I'd like to see the evidence (and not some article pretending to be serious science) of that.

OGE : I got my Eagle in 1969,I was not aware gays could not be in scouts or a scouter back then. Perhaps it was implied but I missed it.

That is because in 1969, you could have had a scout leader. The rule was not created until 1990.. Before then we even had an openly Gay person as a scoutmaster and national spokesperson.. All was totally cool.. I forget the name, but he was an actor on the original Startrek. In the past there were many gay Scout leaders, and boys.. No one made a big deal of it.

Therefore, we do not have to maintain our principles, we simply need to return back to our principles..

Calico - Don't know if FedEx ever contributed or not.. They simply hold the same rotten principles that UPS does in who they would donate to.. Therefore if they ever did, they now will not.. If they never did, does that make UPS worse because in the past UPS has been generous to scouts, and FedEX is better because they never gave a dime to BSA, ever?? Or are they both just rotten because today, neither will donate to organizations that are bigoted?

There is absolutely no need for the BSA to go down. We simply must determine what our core ideals ARE.

Gay or not gay is so completely irrelevant to our mission, that it is humorously tragic that we allow this issue to impact our ability to provide a program for youth.

Citizenship? Sell-Reliance? Good conduct? All of this wrapped up in program centered on on the outdoors? NONE of this has anything to do with whether or not someone is gay.

Earlier someone asked how one of us would react to sending our son off with a gay Scoutmaster.

1) I am sure that among our units that there is at least one in the closet who has camped with our Scouts. The Star Trek star who was an Assistant Scoutmaster and spokesperson for the BSA is George "Mr. Sulu" Takei for example.

2) I HAVE sent my son for a 4 day ski trip with his youth minister. This young man will soon be ordained in the Presbyterian Church, and I had zero concerns.

Ummm. You might want to consider the concept represented by the term LUG --- Lesbian Until Graduation.

This refers to high school or college women who have found that lesbianism has social cachet or feel pressured into adopting a lesbian persona while in school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesbian_until_graduation

I suspect heterosexual men are, so far, more resistant to such pressure, but I also wouldn't be at all surprised to find students increasingly pressured to adopt a homosexual persona as homosexual influence gains greater social power and influence.

No reason why Scout troops would be immune from that, either, if you had openly gay Scoutmasters leading units. No reason that homosexual social and cultural groups wouldn't become chartered organizations if Scouting dropped their objections to homosexuality either --- indeed, I would expect it.

Homosexual social power has been growing rapidly for several decades. There is no reason to suppose that will stop. Families should be expected to face a pervasive homosexual culture in the future from which they will be able to find little or no refuge.