UPS and Intel end support of BSA

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DeanRX, I am curious about the membership issues you mentioned. According to the most recent annual report posted on your council website, the council is bragging about increases in membership as well as record attendance at camp.

By the way, your council spent $1,829,637 of its program expenses on professional salaries and your SE is making $257,497 a year. For all your council spends on professional salaries, are the units being served? Are the youth being served? Will the youth be allowed to camp on the front lawn of the new service center? Your situation is very similar if not the same in many other councils, including mine.

The UPS response:

"Thank you for your e-mail. To ensure inclusion and diversity are reflected in its philanthropic giving, The UPS Foundation believes its funding must align with UPS's non-discrimination policies. UPS policy states that we place great value on the diversity that exists within our workforce, our customers, providers of goods and services to our company, and the global communities in which we do business. UPS also promotes an environment of inclusion that encourages equality among all people.

UPS did not pull funding or take action that directly targets the Boy Scouts of America. UPS did deploy a policy for new grant requests that is applicable to all prospective grantees."

FedEx, here I come!

"Part of the eMail I sent to UPS:

"UPS thinks it is okay for two gay men to take 5 or 6 eleven year old boys into the woods? Really? Is your son going to be on that trip?

FedEx has gained me as a customer."

May not have much impact. But it might be enlightening."

Let me suggest an experiment.

I've noticed a trend in these matters. Some gay activist creates an on-line petition, such as this one to get UPS to defund the BSA, or to get Intel to defund the BSA. The head of "Diversity Affairs" or somesuch department at said corporation gets a copy, and having been hired for graduating at the top of their class in Grievance Studies, feels both a deep sense of ideological solidarity with the activist, and a corresponding worry that the host corporation with which they have developed a parasitical relationship could look bad, so they send an email to their corporate masters suggesting they stop the funding to those gay-hating scouters.

Corporations don't really make decisions, as corporations can't think. They can't really masturbate either, which is why corporations have meetings instead. Those meetings are made up of the people inside the corporations, who make decisions in a manner that make the characters in a Dilbert cartoon look decisive. Those decisions are based around the questions (a) will this action lose money for the firm? (at a higher level in the corporation), or (b) will my masters think my decisions have resulted in a profit or a loss for the company? (at a lower level).

Internet-based petitions, which involve the sort of deep personal commitment to social action and risk-taking that we see in a bored teenage boy channel-surfing while lying on a couch in the afternoon, evoke a strange sense of corporate dread among the corporate minions who make class (b) decisions.

If you do NOT feel that the BSA should be penalized for its current policies (i.e., most of the BSA except the handful of regular posters on this forum), it would be worthwhile to start an on-line petition to inform UPS and Intel that, while they are certainly entitled to their corporate opinion, you as a consumer will base future decisions on their current actions. The petition might further ask why UPS and Intel would refuse to fund a private organization that provides leadership and environmental awareness training to millions of American youth, many of them minorities, while providing community services in mass disasters and millions of dollars worth of community improvement projects.

Then, start emailing everyone you know and suggesting they sign the on-line petition to UPS and Intel, and suggest they contact their friends. Post a link one every scouting website you can find.

There are a lot of people who were scouts, whose kids are or were in scouts, who respect the traditional values the scouts stand for, or who just don't like being pushed around by the new secular cultural elite.

Pick the largest number of people who signed any pro-homosexual petition, and I guarantee that a pro-BSA petition could get 10 times that number, easily. Maybe a 100. UPS may not change their minds (and maybe we don't _want_ their steenken' money any more), but it would create a lot of media attention, make scouts and scouters feel like they don't have to play defense all the time, and make the next corporate sponsor who is bending a knee to the god of political correctness reconsider their actions.

It would be an interesting experiment in civics, if nothing else.

So, anyone know more about this Interwebs fad who know how to set up such a petition? I'll sign.

JoeBob - In other words UPS is more enlightened than the uninformed homophobics who think homosexual is another word for child molester.

Before running to FedEx shouldn't you check to make sure their policy isn't inclusive?

http://charity.lovetoknow.com/charitable-organizations/fedex-charitable-giving

Read the last condition:

Organizations that apply should demonstrate that they are competent to manage a program with low administrative expenses and that they do not discriminate with regards to who the program will benefit.

Soon you'll be living off your own chickens and growing your own corn and living as a hermit due to all companies being PC..

"Organizations that apply should demonstrate that they are competent to manage a program with low administrative expenses and that they do not discriminate with regards to who the program will benefit."

Well any organization that has membership requirements "discriminates" in regards to who their program benefits. Obviously a Troop or Pack doesn't benefit girls.

"Corporations don't really make decisions, ...blah, blah, blah, ...will my masters think my decisions have resulted in a profit or a loss for the company?"

I REALLY liked this. Thanks AZMike, I'm going to quote a slightly modified version of that one particular part at the meeting I have to attend today..should be fun.

"Organizations that apply should demonstrate that they are competent to manage a program with low administrative expenses and that they do not discriminate with regards to who the program will benefit. "

Last time I checked, the nation as a whole benefits greatly from the scouts, in terms of community service projects, disaster response, vocational training, leadership opportunities for youth, and increased environmental awareness and training. Many organizations which restrict membership to women, youths, ethnic groups, religious denominations, etc. receive grants as long as the overall benefit to society is positive.

"Soon you'll be living off your own chickens and growing your own corn and living as a hermit due to all companies being PC.."

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. I'm considering becoming a Stylite next.(This message has been edited by AZMike)

"Corporations don't really make decisions, ...blah, blah, blah, ...will my masters think my decisions have resulted in a profit or a loss for the company?"

"I REALLY liked this. Thanks AZMike, I'm going to quote a slightly modified version of that one particular part at the meeting I have to attend today..should be fun."

You're very welcome, but don't blame me if you get fired...

"Well AZMike, I guess you're penalizing me, because you've never given me ANY money, ever."

You failed to file a timely grant application to The AZMike Foundation, which provides ample financial support to angry Minnesotan former Cub Scouts who obsess over youth organizations' failure to admit the godless and those with a same-sex attraction.(This message has been edited by AZMike)

In the past 12 months our Pack has...

-Cleaned up a local park

-Worked shifts on 6 days at the local food pantry

-Gathered thousands of cans of food for Scouting for Food

-Raised over $600 for the local food pantry through our cake-bake auction

-Donated over 700 pairs of new white socks to the local community closet from our Sock Wars fundraiser activity

These are things our community has benefited from because of Scouting. We are only one small unit. These are the things that people trying to take down Scouting because of policies they don't agree with will take away as well if they are successful.