The harm has been done.

I never displaced or slaughtered Native Americans or enslaved Africans and I will......and should not be held accountable for the actions of those who came before me. Likewise with sexual abuse in Scouting. The sin is owned by the person who committed it, not by those who come after and were not involved in previous actions.

packsaddle:"SR540Beaver, isn't there something in scripture about God visiting the iniquities of the father on multiple generations thereafter, or something like that?"

I think it's right next to the line about "Smite not the Smithsonians, lest thee thyself be smooten."

Actually, all lines that are somewhat similar to yours are from the OT, and the NT says that Christians are no longer bound by the sins of their father (original sin), as they are washed free in the baptism of the Holy Spirit: "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."

Even the references to the Israelites sins being carried to the 3rd and 4th generation are moderated in the OT in Ezekial: "Yet you say, Why should not the son suffer for the iniquity of the father? When the son has done what is just and right, and has been careful to observe all my statutes, he shall surely live. The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself."

The new covenant is also described in Jeremiah: "In those days they shall no longer say: The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge. But everyone shall die for his own sin. Each man who eats sour grapes, his teeth shall be set on edge. Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. ..."

(This message has been edited by AZMike)

I would imagine, at least in the near future, there might be some instances where participation in Scouting might be viewed as detrimental.

Could there be a case where an employer or college admissions staff member sees, Boys Scouts of America on an application and wonders for a moment if the applicant has any baggage from being abused as a Scout?

The same can be said for the staff and participants in "The Second Mile" or even Penn State athletics department...maybe even now the Catholic Church.

Could there be a case where an employer or college admissions staff member sees, Boys Scouts of America on an application and wonders for a moment if the applicant has any baggage from being abused as a Scout?

Yah, I doubt that there's any employer left who would actually blame da victim in that way. Not if they want to stay in business. Could yeh imagine what da fallout would be for an employer who did not give a job to a rape victim because she was a rape victim?

B

And I Imagine that people will hold Catholics in the Same Regards because of What they hid and Employers will be less likely to Hire a Penn State Graduate simply because of their reps also..

Oh and lets all pull children outta Public and private schools because teachers are sleeping with them.. not to mention coaches

Packsaddle,

From the OT. Jeremiah 31:29 - "In those days people will no longer say, The parents have eaten sour grapes, and the childrens teeth are set on edge. Jeremiah 31:30 Instead, everyone will die for their own sin; whoever eats sour grapestheir own teeth will be set on edge.

The sin belongs to the sinner, not their decendants.

As a practicing Roman Catholic (Yes I practice, just as Lawyers and Physicias do, nobody has it down yet) I keep getting told things about my faith. How the current Pope is going to nullify Vatican II, that the mass will revert from the Vulgate back to Latin. I hear about how nobody goes to church anymore and all that. Then I go to church and see the families there. The third Sunday of the month is Children's Liturgy and the youth from the School do the readings, serve the mass, act as ushers. The Mass is still in the Vulgate and Vatican II remains

Life goes on

Life will go on for the BSA as long as we, the members continue to deliver the program. The local area took quite a hit when that Teacher of the Year, revered Mentor and Camp School teacher blew his brains out on the eve of his child molestation trial, but we continue on.

I do remember a sermon I heard one Sunday on heroes. And it does not take person to be in the military to be a hero, it does not tale someone to be a first responder, or Police or Fireman.(Make no mistake, they are heroes) Some of the finest heroes the country has are the men and women who get up everyday and provide for their families and do the things they love and beleive in. If we focus on that, it will be ok(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)