"Trail of Betrayal"

The Scripp's "Trail of Betrayal" series began in Sundays local paper; so far almost 7 full pages of stuff. While they definitely are noting local officials sometimes not charging someone, and also the lightness of sentences in some cases, I find it sad that they continue to put the blame completely on BSA in their statements. I will wait to make further comment until the whole series is complete in a day or two.

On day one, there was a quarter page insert of local cases; and they all were handled properly it appears, including a number with long prison terms. I knew two of them personally, and one completely surprised me. The other, looking back, I was not completely blind sided, as I had heard comments and innuendo in a few instances, but never in front of the boys (when I was present); but they were all questionable comments about women and teen girls. He quit making those comments to me after I told him I thought they were inappropriate, or some language to that end.

Here they are running it as a series on the TV news. Late night. I have been watching it to prep myself for an possible questions. I cringe while watching it. I already have a "time to tell" on the troop schedule.

While it is a very serious subject, they are "staging" scenes that make the whole series look like a some of those "ambulance chaser" commercials. Staged events of a dozen "overly serious" people sitting around a conference table pouring through records.

I went through about 10 cases in my council as a youth and my current area.

One brutal one was in the batch. In that one law enforcement and social work was all over the case. It was a national news case from a few decades ago. It all looked as if it was handled above the board.

One of the much older cases contained notes from the abuser's psychologist back in the 60's. He did not see fit to warn people.

As a scout I only ever remember a few creepy comments about a few adults, but I do remember many more creep comments about a few fellow scouts.

I agree with others on this board. BSA is losing the PR battle on this.

I had to add some more. The whole series is presented without context. Yes there were a few very bad people that slipped through the system. Yes maybe more could have been done. However, the entire series ignores the millions of scouts that had a good experience and the hundreds of thousands of good adults.

A bad situation that has been reduced to trash TV ratings.