Article on BSA/AHG Partnership in Nov/Dec Issue of Scouting Magazine

AHG's program and organization is very similar to BSA...

That's not too surprising, considering that they have tried to copy the BSA as closely as possible, right down to at least one of the trademarks ("Tenderfoot") that the BSA had to ask them to stop using (which they did.) Of course, they did not copy the part about being "absolutely nonsectarian." But hey, if anyone wants to join an organization like that, it's fine with me. I just don't see why the BSA necessarily needs to associate itself with them.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the big thing is the AHG is more aggressive at taking up the BSA on the partnership.

The BSA signs Memoranda of Mutual Support with organizations all the time. It would not be unusual to have one with AHG. The BSA has one with the Military Order of World Wars, with the US Sportsmans Alliance, with the National Association for Search and Rescue, with the American Cadet Alliance, with the Nonprofit Leadership Alliance.

It goes on and on. The US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, the Knights of Columbus, Trout Unlimited, Future Fisherman Foundation.

No reason the BSA wouldn't sign an agreement with AHG. The difference is that AHG is really serious about making the most out of this relationship, wants to use the camps, use Philmont, use the training, etc.

I'm still not sure exactly what the BSA gets out of this. If it weren't for the sectarian issue, I'd think the organizations would be on an obvious merger course, as the programs are almost identical. The only real difference I've seen is the statement of faith required for adult leaders.

I think that organizations like Royal Rangers and Campfire would view the BSA as a competitive organization. Whereas AHG is not (except at the Venturing level). I had not even heard of Missionettes (apparently now called Mpact Girls Clubs as of five years ago). They look to be very specific to the Assemblies of God and are the girls counterpart to Royal Rangers. As such, I'm sure they don't view the BSA as a Christian-enough organization. The Royal Rangers appears to be set up as an explicitly-Christian version of the BSA.

Oak

The Royal Rangers roots go to the Dutch Reformed Church here in America where they felt the BSA was not religious enough and too inclusive, not in keeping with their own beliefs. From what I have seen and experienced with the AHG they are agressively trying to get on the fast track to growing quickly, they still are a relatively small organization. They are almost forcing their way into churches that have active GSUSA troops telling pastors, my own church included, that the Girl Scouts are "AntiAmerican and AntiGod". This nonsense allowed them to break into two Catholic churches in my area until the parents and the GSUSA went to the bishop. The bishop called the two pastors of those churches and the AHG was told to take their program elsewhere.

As I have already stated the AHG/BSA alliance IMO in the long run will just hurt the BSA where it really hurts, in the pocketbook, as many big corporate donors may think twice about contributing to an organization associated with a "radically Pseudo Christian" organization.(This message has been edited by BadenP)

>>>>The BSA signs Memoranda of Mutual Support with organizations all the time. It would not be unusual to have one with AHG. The BSA has one with the Military Order of World Wars, with the US Sportsmans Alliance, with the National Association for Search and Rescue, with the American Cadet Alliance, with the Nonprofit Leadership Alliance.

Engaged how is that a marital status......oh i got a ring and a promise...

Makes ya wonder why how long your married matters????

I wonder if girls born out of wed lock are allowed.. all your married numbers better match up

Signing the application says this

"subscribe to and comply with the American Heritage Girls, Inc. (AHG) Mission Statement, Oath, Creed, Statement of Faith and all other AHG

rules, policies and procedures."

(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

Is BSA using AHG as a stalking horse? Are they testing out a Girls' Division without having to do any work or suffer any embarrassment if it doesn't go well?

And who is AHG's special connection at BSA? It's not just the ladies at AHG pushing a more robust and active partnership.

I don't believe that AHG has any rules against divorcées. And I know girls born out of wedlock are welcome. Our church did not have a GSUSA group, and they did start up an AHG group. They got plenty of people to sign up. I've looked over the materials and they look very much like the BSA's materials.

They do ask their leaders to be Christian, and they are up front about that. Just as the BSA asks that all of its leaders must "recognize an obligation to God" but is nonsectarian about it. Those are similar, albeit incompatible, requirements.

At least around here, it really feels like AHG is a girls' version of the BSA. We let them borrow our flag - pretty much treat them as a sister organization. I'm not sure if they are doing anything explicitly Christian in the implementation of the program. At the same time, I do know of Cub Scout packs around here who are explicitly Christian as well, and there are BSA units that will only accept Christian leaders, too.

Basement, nobody is forced to sign a statement in the AHG. Either you join, and accept the statement, or you do not join and do not accept it. I don't have an issue with the AHG. Like the Boy Scouts, I'd prefer these kind of youth groups be open to all children, but these organizations have a constitutional right to set their membership standards as they see fit.

I've only met one family with children in AHG. They are nice family, and their girls are very smart and motivated.

Organizationally the AHG is a great program match for the BSA. I don't like their stand on being a Christian only organization, but that's their choice to make, not mine.

I'm hearing Horror Stories about them on this forum, but since I live in the local area, I grew up in the town where they were founded (West Chester, Ohio) I've not heard of any local horror stories myself.

Do we have any AHG leaders registered on the forums who could provide us with a little bit of POSITIVE information about AHG?

Yours in Scouting,

Sentinel947