Article on BSA/AHG Partnership in Nov/Dec Issue of Scouting Magazine

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And not one word that AHG is an exclusively evangelical Christian organization when it comes to adult leadership.

This does not help BSA at all. I just sent my letter to the editor.(This message has been edited by Nike)

I just read the short notice, not really an article, about this. It continues to confound me that a few on here are so over the top against the program. We have a new unit in our district area, and it has a wide base of religious beliefs within the families. Other than actually having the belief in God element, they are not pushing any particular religion. Most interesting to me was the note that they have membership in other countries, including India. Now, I realize someone here will say that is a tool to proselytize; but maybe it is simply an offering for a worthwhile alternative female program.

Perhaps, when the group began, it was a bit more focused on a specific Christian goal. But, like many groups, they soon realized that gave too narrow a pool, and that direct proselytizing was a hindrance. But, just like BSA, the CO controls the direction of the unit; so the level of religious indoctrination likely varies considerably.

Of course, I also understand that those so adamantly opposed here will respond in their usual strident manners; which to me is the saddest part of this thread.

Well then, they really need to update their web page skeptic:

http://www.ahgonline.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=19322

American Heritage Girls is a Christ-centered leadership and

character development ministry.

The following Statement of Faith applies to all American Heritage Girls'

Charter Organizations, Adult Members and Adult Leaders.

"We believe that there is One Triune God Father, Jesus Christ His one and only Son, and the Holy Spirit Creator of the universe and eternally existent. We believe the Holy Scriptures (Old/New Testament) to be the inspired and authoritative Word of God.

http://www.ahgonline.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=19318

AHG Vision:

"American Heritage Girls is the premier national

character development organization for young women that

embraces Christian values and encourages family involvement."

My letter to the editor was sent as well.

Asking some questions of the leadership.....

Ya the old AHG are very white, wealthy and suburban....irregardless of the pictures on their website. The two troops locally are in the richest suburbs and are in Churches who do not host BSA Units.

AHG membership in other countries is probably tied mainly to the American ex-pat, military, and missionary communities. India, in particular, has had a strong Guide program since the 1920's and is the location of WAGGGS' Sangam center in Pune.

I just wish AHG would be either more honest about their aims or better reflect their inclusiveness on their website.

'I just wish AHG would be either more honest about their aims or better reflect their inclusiveness on their website.'

*** Be more honest about what? I think they're very much up front with who they are and what they stand for.

BDPT00

It is just another negative against the National BSA that will only cause them even more grief and could cause some severe problems in getting those big contributions in the future. No matter what some others (SP,Pere, etc.) may think there is NOTHING that the BSA will gain from this alliance, just more bad publicity and more losses in membership. I hope Wayne is getting ready for an early retirement because at this rate he will not make it 3 more years.

I don't know very much about the AHG.

Fact is that until they were mentioned here by a Forum Member, I'd never heard of them.

I am very much for coed Scouting.Still, I'm not so sure that any kind of a partnership is needed or necessary.

Ea.

AHG membership in other countries is probably tied mainly to the American ex-pat, military, and missionary communities

One would guess ... would certainly seem weird for young girls in other countries to join a group claiming to be focused on American heritage!

PERE,

We have third-nation nationals who are members of USA Girl Scouts Overseas (a division of GSUSA since the 1920s). American Girl Scouts is very popular with our local ex-pat Japanese community.

If the parents are part of the general expat Anglo-phone community but there isn't a unit from their native country, they will frequently join an American Girl Scout troop. Many English speaking International Schools host Girl Scouts as well as BSA units. There are also occasional British Scout units, depending on the size of the British community.

This does beg the question about WHY this happened NOW.

How come BSA hasn't /doesn't partner with Royal Rangers or Campfire or Missionettes?

Is it purely the religious component or is there something else going on here? Church youth groups have used Council camp properties hereabouts, as has various school districts and park departments. No problems to my mind with these.

Why is this different?

How come BSA hasn't /doesn't partner with Royal Rangers or Campfire or Missionettes?

*** They've already got co-ed programs/relationships.

AHG's program and organization is very similar to BSA, and there's a good chance that charter parters for BSA or AHG would be suitable and willing to charter the other. Seems like a very good match to me.

BDPT00