"Good for nothing ...."

Strange how some things stick with you.

Many years back there was a play on the BBC. - I don't think I ever knew the title and if I did I forgot it long ago.

It was about two men, one who loved classical music and the other loved pop music.

When they died both went to hell.

The Hell the classical music lover went to played pop music all the time and the other guy got stuck with the classics.

Growing up, I used to wear some very way out socks, bright colors and patterns.

My brother who wore only black socks used to say that his idea of Hell, was having to be wear my socks.

I don't spend a lot of time thinking about Hell, but I now think my Hell would be having to sit through all the political ads that are now running endlessly on the TV.

This week all the local and State ads kicked in.

No one seems happy to just say "Hey, I'm Joe and I'm running for office and I'd appreciate your vote." It seems that unless they paint the other guy as a no good, useless person who really can't be trusted. They are not happy.

I'm not sure how telling lies about someone else ever makes you trustworthy?

Oh well it will soon be over and maybe I'll be able to turn the TV back on!

Next election, I think that I'll form a super pack and buy lots of air time to just show how cute my dogs are.

Ea.

Eamonn,

How do the ads here compare to those in the UK? From watching "Prime Minister Question Time" on C-SPAN from time to time, it seems like politics gets pretty nasty there as well.

As far as this election, I have pretty much tuned it all out at this point, except for one of the local races, in which I am actively involved in supporting several candidates. I know who I am voting for for all the offices, so I am directing my attention to the one race I can actually help do something about.

Eamonn

A blog I follow posted a nightmare for those of us tired of the ads and campaign:

A Nightmare Scenario

by Michael R. Newman

Given that Ohio has become the state most likely to decide the presidential election, I was disheartened to see that there are more than 800,000 voters in the Buckeye State have received absentee ballots but have not returned them. Any voter who requested an absentee ballot but shows up at the polls on Election Day will be required to cast a provisional ballot, and the state will then have to check all the returns to make sure no one votes twice. All well and good, but if the race is close we might not know the winner of Ohio-and the election-until Thanksgiving. If you're like me and are less emotionally invested in the outcome of the election than in a deep desire to have the damn thing over with ASAP, this should send a chill up your spine.

Eamonn, Just before I read your post I saw a cartoon in New Yorker magazine. In the cartoon Satan was seated in his throne in hell, with countless masses of miserable, suffering wretches below him. In front of him was a bagpipe player. Satan said, "From now on, YOU provide the music."

Diabolical!

Eamonn,

I remember when my sister went through a Pippi Longstocking phase in the late '70's. Used to wear rainbow long socks with individual toes. Hated to be seen around her waiting for the bus--she was so un-cool. I of course was into my Clash phase and wore all leather--in the Miami heat. She thought I was her idea of hell and now I see her point.

Since I live in Hillsborough County in Florida we are getting bombarded by calls. Obama was here yesterday--again. Actually drove 300' past my house on the way to the local fires station. I wish I had mowed the grass. I have seen his Presidential motorcade 3 times this year without even trying.

NJcubscouter - political ads in the UK can be pretty nauseating as well but there are also heavy restrictions on how many they can broadcast and how long they are hence you can avoid them if you want to.

Prime Ministers question time is, to be honest, just a bit of a circus and doesn't really do much justice to parliamentary democracy. Our politicians can be utterly vile and obnoxious when they want, and that goes for all the parties. Equally though I have seen examples, particularly from backbenchers, of outstanding work, ensuring that important issues are properly debated in the house.

The recent issues surrounding the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 (has that had any coverage in the USA?) were helped to a conclusion no end by the tireless work of a number of politicians on all sides/

And of course the BBC doesn't have any ads!

I'm not sure what's worse the political ads or that foul mouthed chef who never cooks anything?

Maybe all he can cook is fowl?

Tampa Turtle,

Back in the day it was flared pants for me and of course platform shoes!

At college I had a full bead and very long hair.

I sometimes have to laugh when people go off about how the kids of today look like scruffs!

I was in my time the poster child for Scruffs! - Me and Mike Oldfield.

Ea.

My favorite commentary from a friend of mine on FB...

I can't wait for the political ad season to be over so we can get back to decent commercials about erectile dysfunction, feminine hygeine products, and toliet paper.... I will feel so much better watching them instead.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Dean

Horizon

The very idea of having to go through the entire "Hanging Chad" thing again is not one that I'd look forward too.

All this talk about polls has got me thinking.

I have never been involved in any sort of polling.

My guess is that a lot of polls are done by phone.

Just about everybody I know has caller ID and most of these folks only answer the phone if they recognize the name or the number of the person who is calling.

With this in mind I now question all these polls.

Of course not being born and breed on this side of the pond. The Electoral College seems a strange way of doing things.

Apart from the four or five swing states, it kinda looks like everyone else can take the day off and stay home on election day.

With the big storm coming they all might be sitting in the dark, trying to keep warm.

DeanRx

I'm thinking maybe the ad for erectile dysfunction which shows the couple in two separate bath-tubs might be something that could be used to show the pair of Scouter's who are guilty of PDA that there is a time and a place for everything.

Ea.