scout denied eagle

Basementdweller, not that your point is wrong, but your citation is.

The second forum link you gave refers to a Scout who winds up a Life for Life, not an Eagle, in his own words. Some folks did advocate for methods of rehabilitation for his error (it IS a youth program), but none said he deserved it in spite of his error.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eagle732,

There would be at least two grounds for not signing off in your hypothetical situation. One would be the duty to god issue. The second would be a failure to "keep myself physically strong...." by smoking. The violations of law would possibly be a third.

Eagle732, I'd ask him how he acquired the alcohol and inform him that I'm referring this to the police for further investigation. That would be the end of it. No signature, pending the outcome of the police investigation. The rest is less important AFAIC.

It does. I'm not so interested in punishing the boy. What I'd really like to do is to get to the person(s) who supplied the alcohol to him and then hurt them. Badly.

Tobacco, OTOH, isn't likely to hurt other people as much has alcohol can, mostly the boy himself. And I consider his beliefs to be something for him to sort out. None of my business.

Coming back to the original topic...

I understand that the mom, Karen Andresen, will attempt to deliver her petition to the Mount Diable Silverado Council office tomorrow afternoon, Thursday, October 18, in Pleasant Hill with full media coverage. I thought she already got her fifteen minutes. Watch your local news to see if there is any coverage.

I hope the lack of response to my hypothetical question doesn't mean that there are few who are interested in helping youth struggling with the problems of alcohol, drugs, smoking or have questions about their faith.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Eagle732,

Appeal what? How do you appeal removal from membership? This is not a matter of appealing an adverse decision regarding one's eagle. He never got to a board of review, although he could have gotten there without the SM signature on his eagle application. By removing Ryan from memberhsip in BSA altogether BSA national said he was simply ineligible to receive any further awards, and cut off the eagle process before it got to an EBOR.

E732,

My CO is a Presbyterian Church. Presbyterian ministers were players in the whiskey rebellion. Consumption of hard liquor is a grand tradition (although the Women's Temperance Union did manage to, well, temper it.)

Smoking, well, tobacco made this country what it is. So, unless the boy insists on inhaling Cuban cigars, it is sort of duty to country.

If he doesn't believe in God, how can he do his duty to it? I would encourage the boy to stop the charade. Or, get serious with his maker because all of that drinking and smoking is doing nothing to forestall an encounter with Him.

I wouldn't sign. I would ask him to think sincerely about what's being put before him, and have him come back in a month so we can continue the discussion. Even if he decides scouting's not for him I'd enjoy keeping in touch with the lad.