scout denied eagle

Troop 212 has a program to die for. It is very hard to argue with success and I don't want to see the troop go under. If there are things that need fixing, then hopefully those directly involved will recognize the problems and do the fixing.

Moraga is not a poor community, but it is not a super rich suburb either. I doubt that there any households with income below the official poverty line. We are fortunate that the town has not experienced a great many foreclosures compared to other California communities. Foreclosures have been above historical levels in the last few years, but nothing like other parts of California, Nevada or Arizona. So a great many families are able to put unusual amounts of money into their sons' scouting endeavors. Keep in mind that housing costs in California are way above national averages and suck up a great deal of most household budgets.

As others have noted, eagle is not a means tested award. We should celebrate these young men whatever their backgrounds. There are three suburban communities in our district and we have many successful troops with a high proportion of their scouts getting eagle. This is one part of the country where it is still fashionable for teenagers to be in boy scouts and we should all be glad of that.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Truth of the matter here Calico is the boy doesn't believe in duty to god and is also gay.

So he should have never been allowed to be a member.....

His SM did him a huge disservice when he came out.....

From Eisleys description it sounds like it was run more like a private club than a Troop in the BSA.....

Since I posted about the pictures and the wealth they displayed....Have you noticed they are all now cropped so you can't see the grand piano and the thousands of dollars of bobble on the fireplace mantel..........

On the ellen show he talked about a couple of troop trips to alaska and canada.....Bet they didn't drive......

They are Rich Calico so get over it.....This is just a rich mom trying to give her son something that can't be bought............He screwed up and opened his big mouth before he was completely finished with the process. now mom is trying to buy it thru a media campaign.

Calico, You called into question my statement about dad's company West Coast Property Management "the company touts itself as the largest property management firm in the San Francisco Bay area"

You said "There are also so-called "facts" being bandied about which just aren't. No where on the father's property management firm's website does it say they're the largest in the SF Bay area"

"West Coast has grown into one of San Francisco's largest local property management companies with almost 2,500 units in more than 300 properties under its care and guidance" First paragraph on their company's website http://www.wcpm.com/management/our-history

They are ONE of the largest companies in the SF area.

Partial mea culpa then Eagle732 - their website does say "one of San Francisco's largest local property management companies", but you are the one that changed that to "the largest property management firm in the San Francisco Bay area". I'm sure they would have appreciated the promotion - but of course it still isn't true. And them claiming to be one of the largest LOCAL property management firms is, once again, busines hyperbole - I can prove they're not the largest property management firm in the San Francisco Bay Area (heck, they don't even make Crain's top 25), but as soon as they start using the modifiers "one of" and "local", the criteria change - do they mean the entire bay area is local or do they mean they're one of the largest in their bay area town? Maybe, if all the national and big regional firms were pulled out of the criteria, they might make the top 25 - but based on what measurement? There is a local "boutique" apartment property management firm with 16,000 units under management but they only have 25 employees - under units, they beat out this firm, but in number of employees, they're smaller - so what's the criteria Meanings of words change as phrases and words are added and subtracted. I'm sure when you just doubled down and said they are one of the largest companies in the SF area, you didn't really mean to suggest that they are that big - maybe if San Francisco was a small town in Wyoming, but a major metropolis like San Francisco, the notion that a 75 employee firm is one of the largest is a bit absurd. There are retail stores that have more employees than that. It might put them in the middle tier somewhere, but it certainly doesn't put them in the one of the largest categories.

Basement - I don't see a mother trying to buy her son the Eagle Scout Award - I see a mother fighting to see that her son got the Eagle Scout Award that he EARNED.

One of my scouts does this exact same thing.......

My family's median income is $21k and they are probably not Caucasian.

What are the chances or probability that they will end up on the Ellen show??? Or get all of the media attention this young man is getting........ZERO

Because my families don't have the financial resources to tear up the internet or connections to blitz the media......

Would we be talking about this is name was Antonio or Xavier......I doubt it.....

He is wealthy white and blonde.....

"One of my scouts does this exact same thing.......

My family's median income is $21k and they are probably not Caucasian.

What are the chances or probability that they will end up on the Ellen show??? Or get all of the media attention this young man is getting........ZERO

Because my families don't have the financial resources to tear up the internet or connections to blitz the media....."

The sad thing is the assumption that one needs financial resources in order to do what this family has done - it's a shame because there are lots of resources out there, probably in your very city, that would be championing an impoverished gay kids cause just as loudly, if only folks took the time to look in a phone book. Most states have a gay rights organization with connections to the media, and to national gay rights organization (who have access to Ellen) but apparently it wouldn't occur to some folks to look for and use those resources. How much of that is because the adults would prefer to keep their heads in the sand and just deny what's happening? How much of that is because the adults in the family would prefer not to deal with it at all? I'll tell you what, Basement - if one of your Scouts comes out as Gay and is denied the Eagle Scout Award because of it, and his parents are supportive of the lad and angry about it, get in touch with me and I'll make sure that lads story gets to the right people to make it a national news story. Matthew Shepard's story (remember him? Beaten and left to die on a wire fence like a stray dog by two guys, one of whom was an Eagle Scout, in Wyoming?) didn't become national news because Matthew's "rich, white mom" made a stink - it became national news because some college student classmates of Matthew's made phone calls to some state and national gay rights organizations who then used their media contacts to make it national news. There is absolutely nothing to prevent someone in an impoverished area from doing the same (heck, here in Chicago, a quick call to the Sun Times or the local tv station will bring reporters running).

So let me pose a hypothetical scenario;

You, the SM have an application in front of you for a boy who has completed the requirements for Eagle.

You find out he smokes, drinks alcohol (both violations of law) and does not believe in God.

He admits to you that the above is true.

Do you sign off?

(This message has been edited by Eagle732)

Calico it is the same reasons that house fires, quikie mart robberys aren't covered from my area..... A house fire or gas station robbery from the burbs is much more news worthy...... A window gets broken out of a car in the burb makes the news....three generations of a hispanic family die in a house fire it makes page 3 in the newspaper.....

It ain't right......

Well Eagle

they give the rank to shoplifters

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=201286&p=1

Drug abusers and felons

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=209163&p=1

So smoking and drinking isn't so bad, right???

But interestingly.......We throw out a young well spoken man for being gay and being agnostic, but allow thieves and drug abusers to be come Eagles......

So what are we trying to tell our boys and the public.

Interesting thought.......Being gay isn't illegal in most if not all the country, sodomy laws not withstanding..