In the memory of Holden Caulfield

Heh, heh, I'd like to steer clear of other countries...that would make this list WAY too long! But Gulag is a great one to put on the list. I'd include it with a special reference to the tragic life's end of Elizaveta Voronyanskaya. I'm humbled by the drive to speak freely and the willingness give everything for that right.

Spiney, yep, love that Scifi. I've never completely understood why some of those books were banned.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl - banned in some places because of sexual content and homosexual content.

Mirriam-Webster Dictionary - banned in some California elementary schools for it's definition of oral sex.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See (a children's book), banned by the idiots on the Texas School Board because the author has the same name as an obscure Marxist theorist.

I know it isn't PC because of the illustrations, but I loved "Little Black Sambo" when I was little.

The banned classics list was basically our high school's reading list. Who could choose just one?

I've always felt conflicted about the so-called banned books week.

To some extent, it's the job of "responsible adults" to keep from wasting money and squandering good efforts---so a library board might well consider NOT subscribing to Penthouse or Hustler, and should very well consider the negative impacts of various materials.

The downside of this is that a small percentage of "filth" is actually more valuable than is recognized by people on committees, etc.

Weigh and balance the matter. Certainly Holden Caulfield wouldn't want any little kids hurt.