Thank god your here......

OP: Doing fundraising, I have actually had the same kind of thing happen SEVERAL times. . . people who are glad the BSA is maintaining its standards.

Nothing wrong with that; they're GOOD standards. And organizations such as the BSA should preach and teach them.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basement: I apologize for reading your typo literally:

"scouter. Com is the only place that the gay rights folks can push their views on scooters."

But Damn! It's too funny the way you wrote it!

Any Shriners in the audience?

While not part of the Constitution, it is by far my favorite statement that exemplifies to me what this country is about...

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

-Thomas Jefferson

Maybe when we all learn what this statement means, the issue of religion, race, sexual orientation will become pointless.

Most court cases have basically said there is nothing in the constituion that DENIES homosexuals the same rights heterosexuals have.

They already have the same rights that heterosexuals have ... what they don't have is the right to redefine terms to make them apply to them. And that is what has required government power to intrude upon the freedoms of others.

Ya joebob, it is pretty funny

Contract expired on my old smart phone about a year ago......So 38 month and it finally quit....New phone has this crazy predictive text thing I haven't figured out how to turn it off...

Scouter=Scooter in it's mind...irregardless how many times I try to fix it...Missed that one.

Only 10,000 messages till it learns my train wreck of literary style

> Well BSA24 if you don't like the policy, your welcome to join some other youth group that doesn't have the policy.

I am also welcome to stay in this youth group and disagree vocally and often with the policy.

You sound just like the guys in the 1960's. "You are welcome to go live in a country where colored people are in charge if you think they should be our equals."

Real nice.

Warning to everyone: This is a generational issue. In 20 years people will look back on the fear of homosexuals and the viewing of them as immoral and judge harshly.

"Warning to everyone: This is a generational issue. In 20 years people will look back on the fear of homosexuals and the viewing of them as immoral and judge harshly."

Judge harshly? You mean there will still be judgmental people around in 20 years? Interesting.

And why is this a warning? Will people whose beliefs are out of step with the masses be in some kind of danger?

And... "fear?"

This is a generational issue. In 20 years people will look back on the fear of homosexuals and the viewing of them as immoral and judge harshly.

Yah, nobody is "afraid" of homosexuals, eh?

Most of us feel sorry for 'em. It's a hard burden to bear.

However, we also feel strongly about personal morality. Lots of people have hard burdens to bear of various sorts. It's hard for married couples to be faithful, particularly if one of 'em is struggling with a debilitating disease. It's hard for an unwed mother to choose hope and love for her unborn child over da fear and disruption to her life of an unexpected pregnancy. An alcoholic bears a hard burden to choose to refrain from drinkin' each day. A businessman who is strugglin' bears hard burdens in tryin' to treat his workers with fairness and loyalty. A married couple strugglin' with financial issues and stress bears a hard burden to stay together, and work at their marriage when it is no longer "fun."

Da fact that things are hard, and that some people are asked to bear hard burdens, in no way means that we shouldn't teach young people that there are right ways to bear such burdens, and wrong ones. Married couples should work at their marriage. Mothers should trust and hope, and bring children to term as a gift to the child and the world, rather than end the child's life unborn so that their lifestyle is not inconvenienced. Alcoholics should reach for their friends and the support of their community each day, and each day choose not to reach for a bottle. Businessmen should treat their workers with consideration and loyalty.

Suggestin' that alcoholics refrain from drinking is not "fear of alcoholics". It's compassion for alcoholics. Suggestin' to a young couple that a marriage is a lifetime of work, and that stickin' with your partner when it's more labor than love builds a foundation for deeper love is not "fear of divorce". It's da compassionate wisdom of those of us who have been there.

Yep, young folks are good people, but they are inexperienced in some things, eh? As they grow older and life teaches 'em more, most start to see that da simplistic ways of lookin' at things that they had in their youth aren't always as righteous as they seemed at the time. Some things have longer-term consequences for individuals and societies that aren't as readily perceived in youth. That's just da normal progress of understandin' as people grow.

Now, at da same time, I reckon some of da confusion in the young is our fault, eh? Lots of us old folks tend to treat young people like they're little kids and just try to tell 'em "No! Because I said so!" or "No! Because the Bible said so!". We teach morality or a relationship with God as an act of arbitrary prohibition, rather than as an invitation to bein' a better person and experiencin' more beauty in the world. That's our failing, eh? One for which I expect we will be judged quite harshly. I apologize for that.

Just because we're not always da brightest doesn't mean that young people shouldn't have da intellectual vigor to get beyond such silly notions as "fear of homosexuals", though. Yeh should realize that you're bein' manipulated by other old folks with other agendas, eh? Who benefits da most by diminishing da value of religious notions in society do yeh suppose? Who gains?

Beavah

"Yah, nobody is "afraid" of homosexuals, eh?"

You probably need to visit these parts sometime. I'll introduce you to a few exceptions. There are 'nobodies' who hate them as well. Fairly open about it I might add. But getting fewer and fewer, thankfully. Virtually none that I can identify among the youth these days. 10-15 years ago, I couldn't write that.

Packsaddle: By and large my generation (I'm 19) generally tolerates homosexuals. Very few of us "fear" them. However, not all of us accept homosexual activity. I can support the homosexual person, but I cannot support homosexual acts. I guess my viewpoints mean I can be hated by the Leftys for not loving homosexuality and hated by the right wingers for not doing my moral duty to oppose homosexuality. I believe Jesus would treat homosexuals like he treated the lepers in his day.

My generation is not as tolerant of homosexuals as you might expect. Guys joking around frequently throw around the terms "Gay", "homosexual" and "Faggot" as a slur. I can't even begin to count the number of times a kid in High school failed a homework assignment or test and went: "WOW! That was really gay!"

Dislike of homosexuals has simply gone from outright persecution to ignoring them or avoiding them. Refusing to include them.

Maybe I just live in a bigoted community in Cincinnati, or maybe, Ohio being the bellweather of the nation, it accurately reflects national sentiment.

Who knows? Certainly not me.

With all due respect,

Sentinel947

Sentinel947, I get your point. This community is heavily influenced by several colleges so it is not typical of the larger area. I only have to drive about 5 miles in nearly any direction to find rather open racism, for example. But the youth I see and interact with are those who are associated with the academic environment and therefore probably, as you note, do not reflect the community at large.

Sentinel just reinforces the observations I have posted before about the subject in middle school and higher elementary grades, especially among the boys. There seems to often be a disconnect with the difference between toleration and acceptance. It should be interesting to see how the projections of the younger generation changing the dynamic goes as they get older. Many of us have found ourselves discarding things about which we had strong opinions as youth, in favor of more middle of the road attitudes.

Thanks Sentinel for pointing out your observation, even though the strident few will cast it aside as immaterial to the facts.

>>It should be interesting to see how the projections of the younger generation changing the dynamic goes as they get older. Many of us have found ourselves discarding things about which we had strong opinions as youth, in favor of more middle of the road attitudes.