Intel (largest BSA corp donor) ends donations

you want to punish Intel because they used to give money to the BSA.

Private company stops giving $$$ to private organization. Private individual responds by complaining to private organization and, when that doesn't work, giving his business to private company's competitors.

And private companies B, C, and D sees this happen and quietly decide to never start donating to private organization in the first place. Good plan.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Now I'm confused, I thought Beavah was a liberal."

Nahh, Beavah is an old fashioned conservative, they kind of conservative that made up the mainstream of your father's GOP. The kind of conservative that the tea party and right wingers think is liberal. The kind of conservative that, as the party has been pulled to the right, pulling the Democratic Party to the right as well so that centrists are now liberal Democrats and liberals are now called the far left by the ignorant right, are now thought of by the GOP as being Democrats.

"I note that the Intel Corporation actively supports the Gaza Islamic University"

Actually, the Intel Foundation is supporting ANERA - a US 501c3 organization - in support of an educational program in Palestine. Unlike the Boy Scouts of America, ANERA doesn't have a policy of discrimination based on sexual orgainzation. The countries they work with may have laws against homosexuality, and folks in the Islamic religion may interpret the Koran to mean that homosexuality is a sin, just like folks in the Christian and Judean interpret the Bible and the Torah in that way, but granting organizations generally don't require that their recipients only work in areas where there is no discrimination - official or otherwise. They only require that their grantees follow their policies. To do otherwise would mean that no one would ever get funding. Intel would have to make sure that none of their grantees does work in states like Arizona, or Utah.

I know you want to paint Intel as being somehow hypocritical, but it's really not. Intel may have announced that they will no longer fund grants and matching funds (which are a form of grant) directly to the Boy Scouts but they didn't announce that they would stop funding organizations that work with the Boy Scouts. They may not give money to the Scouts but they'll still give money to, for example, nature centers that bring Boy Scout units through for programs. That's how the ANERA grant works too.

Our unit does not receive any funding from Intel, but we do receive funding from similar programs at other employers.

As for the question of whether Intel would fund Christian organizations, they will, depending on how you define "Christian organizations."

From the Intel Foundation section on Intel's web site:Intel will not fund:Programs that are outside the defined site community (see list) Foundations that are strictly grant-making bodies (Section 509(a) under US tax code)Sectarian or denominational religious organizations, such as churches, temples, missionary groups or funds which benefit members or adherents, unless grant is being sought for a community outreach program to benefit the community-at-large and offered to without discrimination or restrictionOrganizations that discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, veteran or disability statusIndividuals or trusts/funds to benefit an individualSporting events including team sponsorshipsArts organizationsScholarship funds or awards Requests for in-kind contributions for fund-raising auctions, events, raffle prizes, or giveaways.Travel expensesEndowment or capital campaignsAnnual operating funds or debt-retirement appeal.Advertising in yearbooks, program books, or other good-will advertising Hospitals or healthcare organizations

That's not from the employee-matching requirements (which I did not see at first glance), but it does indicate their criteria for inclusiveness.

FrankScout wrote: "Yes, the "Chick-Fil-A Effect"!!"

But "Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day" was just a one-day event, not a long-term commitment. The withdrawal of corporate support that is occuring is a loss that will be felt for years to come.

"But "Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day" was just a one-day event, not a long-term commitment. The withdrawal of corporate support that is occuring is a loss that will be felt for years to come."

Indeed it was a one-day event, but look at the results! Our local store had lines out the door, with only 6 protesters out front. Could a similar event with Scouting produce similar results? A Scouting Appreciation Day, perhaps? Or, would that be considered "bigoted"? Food for thought, isn't it?

In the meantime, those affected by the Intel decision will just have to sell more popcorn!

The movement will survive, one way or the other.(This message has been edited by FrankScout)

"Actually, the Intel Foundation is supporting ANERA - a US 501c3 organization - in support of an educational program in Palestine. Unlike the Boy Scouts of America, ANERA doesn't have a policy of discrimination based on sexual orgainzation. The countries they work with may have laws against homosexuality, and folks in the Islamic religion may interpret the Koran to mean that homosexuality is a sin, just like folks in the Christian and Judean interpret the Bible and the Torah in that way, but granting organizations generally don't require that their recipients only work in areas where there is no discrimination - official or otherwise. They only require that their grantees follow their policies. To do otherwise would mean that no one would ever get funding. Intel would have to make sure that none of their grantees does work in states like Arizona, or Utah."

Unfortunately, the Intel Foundation's contributions support of the American Near East Refugee Association funnels money towards an "educational program in Palestine" that is not exactly a community college, but which is a religious institution that is closely tied to HAMAS. The Dean of Quranic Studies at the college said, "We place our hopes in Allah and trust that the day will come when our triumph will not be restricted to Palestine. Our hopes go beyond that -- to raise the banner of the Caliphate over the Vatican, the "Rome" of today, in accordance with the hadith of the Prophet Muhammad: "Constantinople shall be conquered and then Rome." (You can watch the clip here: http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/3450.htm).

16 of their professors are HAMAS representatives in Palestinian Assembly, and the University has been used to store weapons directed against Israel. The university has called for the destruction of the state of Israel, and also doesn't like homosexuals too much, either. Mahmoud al-Zahar, a HAMAS terrorist who helped found the University in 1978 and is still on board of directors, has called for the execution of homosexuals in the Gaza Strip (many of whom have fled to Israel, where they are safer.) al-Zahar declared same-sex marriage in the Palestinian strip to be anathema, stating, "Are these [allowing for same-sex marriage] the laws for which the Palestinian street is waiting? For us to give rights to homosexuals and to lesbians, a minority of perverts and the mentally and morally sick?" al-Zahara also said, You in the West do not live like human beings. You do not even live like animals. You accept homosexuality. And now you criticize us?" It is the stated goal of the staff of the Islamic University of Gaza to extend Sharia Law over the middle east and the world, which calls for the execution of homosexuals.

Christians (and most Boys Scouts and Scouters) may believe that homosexual behavior is a sin and should be condemned, but they teach that we should love the individual and treat him or her with compassion. The staff of the Islamic University of Gaza, to whom Intel funnels funds through ANERA, makes the BSA look like the ACLU in its treatment of homosexuals.

We all understand that Intel is perfectly within its rights to extend grant funding to whichever organization it likes. Just as we are free to boycott Intel or to criticize it for corporate hypocrisy.

Don't. Buy. Intel. Pass it on.(This message has been edited by AZMike)

But do buy at Lowe's, which announced a program to financially support Boy Scouts at a grass-roots level with their Eagle Scout projects:

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2012/09/24/lowes-nails-it-helps-pay-for-eagle-scout-service-projects/#more-16419

When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window, as we were told by the Mother Superior in "The Sound of Music." We'll still get by, no matter if a Chief Diversity Officer and Global Director of Education & External Relations throws a hissy fit or not.

Merlyn is of course welcome to send Lowe's a nasty letter for not supporting his gay hobby-horse d'jour, and demanding that they cease and desist.

We may be seeing a "We support our scouts" (not BSA policies) attitude developing similar to "We support our troops" (not foreign policies). Northern Star Council, even with a muted inclusive policy, appears to be doing very well with corporate donations at all levels.

Ironic role reversal that Corporate America may be becoming the ethical role model for Scouting.

I stuck an "Intel inside" sticker on my handbook.

My $0.02

AZMike writes:

Merlyn is of course welcome to send Lowe's a nasty letter for not supporting his gay hobby-horse d'jour, and demanding that they cease and desist.

AZMike does of course feel welcome to insult me, because he's a member of the BSA, and I'm a second-class citizen according to the BSA.

AZMike does of course feel welcome to insult me, because he's a member of the BSA, and I'm a second-class citizen according to the BSA.

But he didn't insult you.

Maybe you should do something constructive, like starting your own group affiliated with an "inclusive" organization like SpiralScouts or BPSA. One of the reasons that the GOP will lose the upcoming election is that they don't have much to say for themselves other than "We're not Obama." They don't give voters a positive reason to vote for them. Similarly, if critics of the BSA never do anything positive, then they will forever be defined by their opposition to the BSA and won't be viewed as a force for change.

But then starting your own group takes real work.

Peregrinator, you don't get to decide if I've been insulted; I do.

You may be offended but it does not follow that you were insulted.

I find it interesting that that was the one part of my post to which you responded. That suggests to me that you're not interested in scouting or working with youth.(This message has been edited by Peregrinator)