Intel (largest BSA corp donor) ends donations

I doubt much, if any, of those contributions ever trickled down to the membership base anyway.

These were grants made to units and councils. It doesn't say how much went to units and how much to councils, but many volunteers get matching grants at the unit level. If you were a unit that regularly received these donations, this could make a fairly big difference to you.

This pressure is not directly on National, but it is a way that corporate America exerts influence. I expect more and more of this.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When major donors stop donating to BSA because of its policies do the supporters of those policies step up to the plate and make up for the shortfall? I wonder how many of those who support the policies are just cheerleading from the sidelines without putting their money where their mouths are.

Oak Tree

Unless you are in a unit receiving a so called grant I challenge you to put up anything that substantiates your claim. Most of that money goes to Nationals priorities not the units welfare unless you are talking about LFL.

Sorry, BadenP, but OakTree is correct.

For every hour volunteered for an organization, Intel will donate $10 to the organization in question. (See http://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2012/06/intel_foundation_donates_22_mi.html and http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/06/12/intel-foundation-donates-thousands-to-nonprofits-including-sunnyvale-farm/)

I'm a chartered rep for 6 units with 40 miles of Intel HQ and we typically receive these funds from Intel through the 501©(3) chartered org and pass them through to the units. Other funds come in through employee matching, for instance, if a volunteer donates money to the unit instead of via FOS. The contributions most certainly do not go to National, and only to Council if the employee decides that's where the money is to go (i.e. FOS matching).

In cases where the Chartered Org isn't 501©(something), then the situation probably becomes a bit more muddled.

"When major donors stop donating to BSA because of its policies do the supporters of those policies step up to the plate and make up for the shortfall? I wonder how many of those who support the policies are just cheerleading from the sidelines without putting their money where their mouths are."

Yes, the "Chick-Fil-A Effect"!! :)

I note that the Intel Corporation actively supports the Gaza Islamic University:

"Intel is thrilled to be working with ANERA on this important new educational project in Gaza. ANERA has a remarkable track record in meeting the needs of communities in the Middle East by both expanding the local universe of IT professionals and providing them with the skills they need to find good jobs, remarked Aysegul Ildeniz, Intel regional director for the Middle East, Turkey and Africa. The services and training offered at the Intel IT Center of Excellence will help provide critical building blocks in advancing the adoption of technology in the Palestinian territories. In addition, this new center will offer new opportunities for Palestinian women and help bridge the IT gender divide. The investment in the center underscores Intels long-term commitment to accelerate the development and adoption of technology, contribute to the improvement of the regional economy and improve the lives of those living in the region.

Source: http://www.arabnews.com/node/275959

The last I heard, homosexuality was condemned by Islam, and some Islamic nations (including Iran, Mauritania, Saudi Arabia, North Sudan and Yemen) punish it with the death penalty, the more "moderate" states may just flog gays, yet here the Intel corporation is donating to an Islamic religious university. Gay "marriage" or civil unions are not recognized in the Palestinian territories, and same-sex acts between men are punishable by imprisonment.

Any bets that Intel won't stand up to the Islamic faith and demand they change their doctrine to accommodate the sensibilities of the editors of The Advocate?

You hit the nail on the head AZMike.

A private club that sets its membership policy but does no harm to anyone...they must be destroyed.

A religion with fanatics who kill people who don't agree with it...it must be feared.

That's really the nut of it, isn't it?

I think it would be appropriate if you are a user of Intel products and you find this action by Intel's Chief Diversity Officer and Global Director of Education & External Relations for Intel Corporation, Rosalind Hudnell to be objectionable and discriminatory, to send a polite, reasoned letter to to the Intel Corporation. I would suggest you keep it polite, professional, and courteous, but explain why you find this action offensive, and if it would impact your decision to purchase any of Intel's product line. If your stock portfolio includes Intel stock, or you are considering a purchase of Intel's stock, it would be appropriate to express your concerns as a shareholder, by writing a letter to the Intel Investor's Relations Department or calling them. I'm sure someone there would be willing to listen to your concerns:

Intel Corporation RNB 4-148

2200 Mission College Blvd

P.O. Box 58119

Santa Clara, California

95052-8119

USA

Phone: 1-408-765-1480

Or their general corporate mailing address at:

2200 Mission College Blvd.

Santa Clara, CA 95054-1549

USA

(408) 765-8080

If you would like to send a letter to your local office, or ask to meet with their staff personally to discuss corporate discrimination against youth programs for religious reasons, you can find the address for your local office here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/location/usa.html

Remember that a Scout is courteous, and that a polite, reasoned letter or in-person inquiry has more credibility than a rant, particularly if you have an existing professional or investment relationship with Intel.

Hey AZMike, you may not have heard, but Christianity also condemns homosexuality. Maybe Intel shouldn't donate to any Christian organizations, either. Of course, you weren't bothered by any of this when Intel gave the BSA money, you're only pissed off because they stopped. In effect, you want to punish Intel because they used to give money to the BSA.

> The day the BSA changes its standards for money is the day I leave it.

Such as:

* Having uniforms made in China to save money (got an American Labor merit badge with a Made in China sticker on it)

* Having FOS campaigns instead of tighter budgeting and financial planning

* No longer providing tins with popcorn and selling $4 microwave popcorn for $25

* Changing the uniform repeatedly to get people to re-equip

* Changing the merit badges required for eagle so that outdooring is not necessary (1972)

* Changing the logo of BSA from the first class badge to tenderfoot to save on artwork

* Lowering the quality of nearly everything with a BSA logo on it

* Cooperating in any way shape or form with the LDS church because they threaten to pull out their financial support?

BSA lost any hope of making a principled stand a long time ago in this regard.(This message has been edited by bsa24)

you want to punish Intel because they used to give money to the BSA.

Private company stops giving $$$ to private organization. Private individual responds by complaining to private organization and, when that doesn't work, giving his business to private company's competitors.

JMHawkins - what made you think Beavah was liberal?

Hmmm, I suppose it was his stance on the Tea Party, but in reading more carefully I see he considers himself a "northern GOP."

Well, just goes to show it's no good trying to stuff a Beavah into a Pigeon hole.

BadenP,

Our unit gets contributions from a similar "matching hours" policy from some folks who work for a different company (not Intel). It's pretty nice, but we assume it won't last forever. If nothing else, sooner or later economic pressure will probably force a change. We generally use the money to subsidize a Scout's first summer camp.

Intel has never been a company that I've spent a lot of time thinking about.

I kinda know what they do but unlike a brand of cereal or ketchup when I go to the store I have never put having Intel installed as a make or break point of me buying something or not.

Some years back Sony bought a big plant in our area after VW moved out.

They were lured in with the promise of reduced taxes and other promises.

It seems that once all the advantages run out Sony went as well.

Sony had grants available but the paper work and hoops that had to be jumped through made it that it next to imposable for any local organization to benefit.

Over all the years they were here our local Council received a donation of a TV.

It sounds like Intel might have been easier to work with.

I have charities and causes that I donate to.

While I've never had a written list of charities and causes that I'd never support. I do have groups that for whatever reason are more than lightly never going to receive a penny from me.

Some because in the past they have not done such a great job of using the funds that they have received. Some that are about groups or things that I have no interest in. (I like dogs but am not a great cat lover.)

For a number of years I was upset with the SE of the Council I'm in and rather than donate to FOS I bought equipment that could be used for training and donated the equipment. Strange thing was that this upset a lot of people.

The bottom line is that my thinking is and always will be that it's my money and I'm going to do with it whatever I want. So why should a company be any different?

Then of course there is the BSA.

Does anyone really think that the BSA doesn't know that as an organization it discriminates?

Surely what has happened in the past with other companies pulling financial support has prepared them for situations like this and taken away any shock value that there might have been?

While Intel not supporting the local Scouts is a shame.

However at the end of the day it comes down to rights.

The BSA has the right to not allow groups in and Intel has the right to support or not support groups.

Sad as all of this might be? I can't but help think that this just isn't news any more.

Ea.

I agree with Eamonn.

Intel doesn't have plant or workers in my area, so it won't affect me.

Intel has the right to not support the BSA, and BSA still has the right to not include everyone.

Merlyn still has the right to work everybody on this forum up in his great crusade.

Nothing has changed since before this news broke.