CNN Report: Boy Scouts, end discrimination against gays

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/20/opinion/graddick-boy-scouts/index.html

This picture was taken April 2011 at Normandy where our COuncil holds a Camporee once every three years. The kid on the far right is a friend, and from a great Scouting Family. His Father is one of the hardest working Scouters in our Council. The scout is asking everyone to contact CNN to take down the picture.. he doesn't like having his picture related to the topic.

It would have been nice if the title of this thread indicated somewhere that it was about an opinion column. When I first read it I almost fell off my chair. I must have missed the comma, which changes the meaning.

I think it was probably poor judgment for "CNN Opinion" (I didn't even know that existed) to put a photo of Scouts on the top of this column.

I've also got a kid in the photo, and I think this is a TAC photo. It appeared on CNN.com at teh time of the camporee.

My son sent an email to CNN stating that he didn't think they should use a photo of Scouts, kids who can't make policy decisions, to illustrate this issue.

"Agreed. Looking at the photo jpg properties,I was unable to determine owner and note there is no CNN copyright specified. I wonder if the photo came from Council/BSA??"

Looking at the photo on the web, alongside it is attribution to Getty Images. Getty Images is a stock photo shop - they have an extensive catalog of stock imagery available to the press. Getty buys photos and all the rights from photographers to put into their catalog.

"A question, did this scout check Yes under Talent Release Agreement, Part B, of the "idiotic" (IMO) Annual BSA Health and Medical Record?"

Probably irrelevant - unless the BSA is in the habit of selling photos to stock houses like Getty, it was likely a photo taken at an event in a public place. In most of the US and Europe, photographers are free to take and sell photographs of people in public places and at events open to the public without the need for a talent release, a model release, or any permission or acknowledgment.

Unfortunately, that pretty much leaves this Scout SOL if CNN doesn't respond.

For AP Hill is public property. Any photos taken there are the property of the photographer. And, any photos pretty much taken anywhere ever in the United States are the property of the photographer. You don't have a right to not have your picture taken and published.

Isn't punctuation wonderful? Now if we can just eliminate that one comma, now THAT would be a headline!

I think they meant the comma to be a colon. Or perhaps an exclamation mark and the "e" would be capitalized. In any event, the headline is still a sad commentary.

Time will tell...

http://www.snopes.com/language/mistakes/noprice.asp

Alexander III personally wrote the death sentence of a prisoner with the following words: "Pardon impossible, to be sent to Siberia." His wife Dagmar (daughter of Christian IX, king of Denmark) believed the man innocent. She saved his life by transposing the comma. The sentence then read: "Pardon, impossible to be sent to Siberia."

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update:

CNN's digital editorial director just called me and let me know that they had removed the photo from the article and that CNN had violated their own policy of not using photos unconnected to the article.

So, writing in works.