Political trends

Moosetracker,

It must be so cold up your way that you are unaware of other parts of the country. Memphis is highly democrat controlled. The family members who are still voting beyond the grave are voting in democrat primaries and I would assume for democrats in general elections. In a democrat controlled area, my relatives are afraid of democrat retribution for reporting it to the FBI. I live hours away and have not personally investigated the matter so could not easily report. The democrats in the south enacted the Jim Crow laws, had poll taxes and the like. Remember George Wallace? A democrat. Do you believe that the DOJ would drop a case of voter intimidation against the KKK? Then why should it with the Black Panthers? Why did several career attorneys who had been in the original Civil Rights work in the 60's leave the DOJ because the department was only going to prosecute people keeping traditionally democrat voters from voting and not vice versa?

Change you statements from Republican to democrat and you will have a more correct world view.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if the KKK is still in the Democratic party in the Memphis Tennessee area, Memphis Tennessee is in some kind of a time warp for about 50 years and missed the whole JFK era. That was when the Democratic party started to shift (JFK's shift may have lead to his assassination.).. But, since then the Democratic Party has come to embrace these views for not only, blacks but for many more groups, they have became the inclusive party.. Because they had no place else to go, the Republican party then became the one to house anyone with prejudices against another group of people.

So again, I say to you your Tennessee story does not hold water, unless of course you are retelling a story that was told to you 50 years ago.. Or, perhaps told to you from an older relative, one that is living in their past. If it is a story from 50 years back, well then it fits in very well and makes sense. At that time Democrats were very strong in the South, and I could see Democrats at that time doing as you say.. It was the time KKK was in the Democratic party.. Jim Crowe laws were enacted by the Democratic party, etc, etc, etc.. But, today? Someone has to be totally out of touch with reality to be a member of the KKK and considers himself a Democrat. ANYONE!!! But a whole large city, that out of touch?? Do they get TV? Do they get radio? Do they live in caves?

Yeah, Moose, that cold has gotten to you. Not a story and not a long time ago but going on at least in the last national election. The first person died in the mid-1980's and the second in the early 2000's. As presumoptively democrat voters, they live on. You do not know Tennessee demographics, East Tennessee is heavily Republican while West Tennessee is heavily democrat. Middle Tennessee has gone from heavily democrat to about 50-50. So this is the reality now - today. There have been several high ranking democrats that were caught by the FBI in west Tennessee that went to prison for various political crimes and a few republicans. The Obama administration halted the investigations.

So democrats are the tolerant party? Surely you are joking. The vile hate from the occupy protests is tolerant how? The left is only tolerant of those who agree and in my lifetime often resort to violence towards those who disagree.

There have been several high ranking democrats that were caught by the FBI in west Tennessee that went to prison for various political crimes and a few republicans.

This then should make it easy on you.

Stop harping on the two Black Panther guys (who were in Philadelphia PA, not Tennessee) and who were not charged due to lack of evidence, because they only looked intimidating but didn't do or say anything to anyone.. Also stop gripping about people and actions from the 1950's..

You should have some news articles on these, since they were charged and imprisoned.. But, they need to be about voter suppression or election Fraud and the crime needs to be from recent elections.. Also I would be interested in some articles on Democrats suppressing the votes of blacks.. Reporters would find this newsworthy as it is out of step with reality, especially media with Republican leanings.. I mean look at how much they bemoan two intimidating looking guys quietly standing around the Polling place. They would gobble your story up.

I will be quick to admit I am wrong and you truely live in a topsy turvey world if you have that type of proof.

Moose,

Clearly that frost has gotten to you. The last election is not 50 years ago. Also, I have been clear that it is democrats adding votes from dead Republicans. White democrats in the past were the ones keeping African Americans from voting - that was in the past but it was democrats that stayed democrats. Byrd was in the KKK.

The problem with Acorn, is that Acorn is the one who blew the whistle on themselves, they double checked their own registrations, and reported the discrepancies themselves.. If their internal checks are finding and reporting the inconsistencies, there is more of a belief that the agency itself is not behind the fraud, but it is the individual employees.

ACORN's 2008 situation revealed problems not unusual to mass voter-registration drives. First, hundreds of thousands of voter-registration forms turned out to be duplicates; the voters were already registered and for whatever reasonlikely because they weren't surefilled out a form anyway. That lead to hundreds of thousands of forms being rejected. Meanwhile, some paid canvassers faked voter-registration forms, filling them out for Mickey Mouse or John Smith. ACORN's organizers flagged problematic ballots and turned information over to the authorities. In the end, several employees were charged with forgery. But there was no evidence that ACORN was trying to influence the outcome of an election, nor would any of these incidents result in voter fraud. Even if Mickey Mouse was registered to vote, it hardly means Mickey Mouse could cast a ballot. The canvassers were trying to make an easy buck.

This is unlike the current situation.. Strategic Allied Consulting that when questioned threw out a comment, it was only one person!.. Then hoped that that would stop the investigation. The agency that did not do any internal checking, and then tried to do a quick cover-up when questions were raised, rather than taking the matter seriously.

So Republicans were horrified over ACORN who was doing internal checks and self-reporting inconsistencies.. Where is their equal horror over Strategic Allied Consulting irregularities and additionally their cover-up about it? Total Silence.. Probably because they are running away as fast as they can hoping people forget they not only hired them, but hired them KNOWING they had a history for this, and their solution was that they change their company name to avoid suspicion from their past history.

OK.. So vol_scouter you are now backing off your charges that you have current proof of Democrats blocking the votes of African Americans and are trying to argue that because 50 years ago Democratic party was corrupt. But you started that paragraph with the following Not a story and not a long time ago but going on at least in the last national election. Then in this paragraph you state this as one of the things that prove it is going on today.. I was not arguing about your family story of the dead man voting as being impossible this day in age.. All I have argued on that is if it is true, then call the FBI. In which case, you went into this ridiculous story of scary Democrats suppressing black peoples, and being members of the KKK.. This is what I said was impossible for this day and age.. But, you insisted! Proof for you is all stuff that happened 50 years back in your state, and you reported it as proof that is why Democrats are scary corrupt people today.

So your family is frightened of Democratic retribution, based on the fact the party was corrupt 50 years ago.. Well, tell them have no fear.. Democrats have changed, and they cannot come out from under the rock from which they hide, and report voter fraud to the FBI..

Here is another example of the change of the Democratic party on their positions.. Pre-JFK, the Southern states leaned Democrat, Northern states leaned Republican. Now, it is totally flip-flopped, Southern states now lean Republican and Northern states lean Democrat.. It shows that when the views of the parties changed, so did the people who supported those parties.

America as a whole is shifting left while the Republican Party is shifting right. Americans are less religious than ever, having more children out of wedlock, more tolerant of alternative lifestyles, and marrying at lesser rates than previous generations.

Plus the electorate is becoming younger, who votes more liberal, and more Latino. As the Republican party moves farther right, moderate conservatives, like myself, are being pushed out by the neo-conservatives. How can one be party to a group who lies to get us in a war, uses terms like "legitimate rape", and makes compassion-less statements about 47% of our country. I've been a Republican since i first voted at 18 for Reagan.

I have 4 good friends, all Republicans, who have been out of work for 12-18 months, some lost their homes, and it makes them sick to hear Mitt talk about them like that because they need to collect unemployment to feed their families. These are hard working, honest, loyal men who I would hire in a heartbeat.

If the neo-cons are the new face of the Republican party, they are done politically. McCain had a great shot at winning but he tried to pander to the neo-cons by picking Palin as his VP. Romney is a moderate trying to be neo-con which is why he seems so uncomfortable. So the neo-cons nor the moderates trust him.

I don't have it in me to vote for Romney. I trust Obama to look out for the interests of all Americans more than Shifty Mitt and his neo-con VP.

• 2 weeks later...

So I watched carefully as I drove back and forth across La, Ms, Al, Ga, SC, and NC over the last week or so. I saw less than 20 Obama stickers, mostly in Atlanta, a few in Charlotte. But surprisingly I only saw a few dozen, maybe as many as fifty, Romney stickers. I saw nothing BUT Romney at the festival I attended though (deep in Cajun country). There is just no way the deep South is going to vote for a Democrat.

I'm now seeing a few more stickers for the red guy than several weeks ago. Whether that means anything, I'm not sure. Rather than red vs blue, I'm more interested in the general decrease in sticker frequency when compared to four years ago. Some have said they are reluctant to express their political opinions on their vehicle for fear of vandalism. That may be. I suspect however, that political bumper stickers are becoming an anachronism.