Political trends

Sentinel,

The tea partiers didn't lose the presidential election. The moderate who pretended to be ultra conservative lost.

I support the original tea party movement from 2009 (which was basically a conservative prelude to the Occupy movement). It was a fiscal conservative movement, that was against the stimulus and Obamacare. The idea was to get away from the social issues that too often muddied the conservative movement. Somehow that got perverted to where the tea party became socially conservative as well.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Monona Terrace last night. The Democratic Party was practically doing a dance. But today all the serious problems remain to be solved. It's kind of depressing. So to lift my spirits, I try to imagine...the social circles which include people like Rove, et al. And I try to envision the Olympic-level finger pointing that must be going on now. Simple pleasures. :)

packsaddle "Moosetracker, "I hope you're satisfied!".

Relieved is more like it. Not only got the forward thinking President, but also in my state got a heavily Democratic State Government for Governor, and 2 house seats. We didn't vote for 2 senate seats this time. One of them is Republican the other Democratic.. But!! Interestingly all women in all of these positions. So our upper Government will now be all female..

All I am hoping is it sends a strong message to Republicans, that they have to figure out a political platform that can attract people in todays world.. They also have to understand that finding compromise to get some, but not all that they want while moving the country forward would help their party in being sustainable in the future, where as rejecting everything unless they get it 100% there way will be neither good for their party or the country. And Yes, I understand reaching a compromise does not mean democrats get it 100% their way either..

I know Joe Biden in an interview feels that they have figured out about a dozen from senate, and about 2 & a half from Congress, who have said that if Obama was re-elected, it would be a "get out of jail free card" on the pact they made, because it was in order to make Obama a 1 term President.. If it failed they would be free to work with Democrats to find solutions.. A lot of Republicans on discussion panels today, seemed to be holding out the olive branch of peace, lets hope its sincere.. Democrats of course said similar things.. Joe Bidden in an interview about a day before the election said they had found Republicans that said if Obama was re-elected, they would work for compromise, wouldnt name them, but said there was about a dozen in senate and about 2 in the house.. Not Mitch McConnell though, at least last night who tweeted out a pretty sour grapes, but now the President needs to meet our demands message.. Let's hope for the good of your party, other more reasonable party members will talk him in off the ledge.

That is all I could wish for.. Don't play games that put your party ambitions above the needs of the people you are suppose to be representing..

Oh yes, one other thing.. Something to reform states being able to make up rules to suppress the votes of those who don't hold their political views.. Florida is the worst with such a mess it still cant be called, but Ohio and Pennsylvania also fell into the expected Hall of Shame.. Didnt do any good except get people mad, and gave them incentive to get out to vote, and stand in those 6 to 8 hour long lanes, and be alert and wise to the other con games, prepared with a toolkit of know how to take action against it. But, it shouldnt be so hard, for anyone.. I like that in Obama's victory speech, he thanked those who stood in lines for long hours.. Then he said, "We need to fix that"..

Unfortunately I don't think the Republicans lost bad enough to engage in the kind of platform reforms needed to expand the party. Some seem to get it. Read at least two or three comments by Republican stategists that reflected the sentiment that there just aren't enough old rich white people out there to win national elections. But the Tea Party wing seemed to reflect the sentiment expressed earlier that they lost because they nominated a candidate that wasn't conservative enough, so I anticipate an entertaining Republican primary season in 2016. Looking forward to a Palin/Trump ticket which might be just enough for the rational moderates to finally break away and do something constructive like reach out to blue dog Dems and form a third party.

SA

Unfortunately I don't think the Republicans lost bad enough to engage in the kind of platform reforms needed to expand the party. Some seem to get it. Read at least two or three comments by Republican stategists that reflected the sentiment that there just aren't enough old rich white people out there to win national elections. But the Tea Party wing seemed to reflect the sentiment expressed earlier that they lost because they nominated a candidate that wasn't conservative enough, so I anticipate an entertaining Republican primary season in 2016. Looking forward to a Palin/Trump ticket which might be just enough for the rational moderates to finally break away and do something constructive like reach out to blue dog Dems and form a third party.

SA

perdidochas: I respectfully disagree. The Tea party forced all of their nominees to adopt Evangelical Conservative Positions that do not accurately reflect Independent and Minority voters positions. The Republican party is becoming a party of xenophobic, wealthy, Protestant old white men. As a young Conservative, I look at this and it is profoundly saddening. What may have been started as fiscal conservatism has become corrupted.

Yours in Scouting.

perdidochas: I respectfully disagree. The Tea party forced all of the Republican nominees to adopt Evangelical Conservative Positions that do not accurately reflect Independent and Minority voters positions. The Republican party is becoming a party of xenophobic,old, wealthy, Protestant white men. As a young Conservative, I look at this and it is profoundly saddening. What may have been started as a fiscal conservative movement with good intentions has become corrupted. Until the Republican party purges itself of these xenophobic tendencies, stops drinking the Grover Norquist flavor aid and adopts more moderate social positions that ARE NOT based on a narrow religious intrepretation, it is going to face difficulty in Presidential elections.

My condolences, Tampa Turtle.. Sad that your Governor Election was not at the same time as the Presidential election and you could have voted that guy out in the same election.. Sounds like you have another nasty election to suffer through as he tries to rig his own election to his favor.. I guess Congress can regulate the Presidential Election, but not the local elections.. So without those two tied together, even if some regulation can get through congress (which would mean republican house majority approval).. If you dont get a Democratic local government, you will have this sort of tampering continue..

Hey Packsaddle, if Trump or Palin are not up for it, then maybe you could get John Sununu on the ticket?.. If you can win with him, they will stop always referring to him as the Governor from NH.. He hasnt been our Governor for 30 some years, and it makes me cringe when they say it.. He defiantly does not represent NH well..

Scoutingagain hear you, there still is a lot of conservative not in the reality of planet earth sort of talk going on.. Need to be more conservative.. Romney wasnt Pro-Life enough.. Even some people skewing the election results to figure out how they can change the math to get it to be a Romney win.. Delusional..

I guess I am ever hopeful.. When Republicans were rooted in reality, having two parties to discuss, debate and compromise allowed us to have very good Government.. Does Obama care aid in mental illness? Perhaps there is a cure?.. Obama said Obama-care would help with Romnesia, that's a different mental ailment. This would be more weaninf them off of their dependency on FOX news until they started realizing the world they live in isn't the one created in that artificial reality.

Sentinel947, "flavor aid". Thank you, thank you, thank you...for getting it right. ;) See, everybody, it IS possible to learn this.

Also, "The Republican party is becoming a party of xenophobic,old, wealthy, Protestant white men." I add ...who think they're still in control.

I thought all elections are local elections. They are run on the most rudiementary local basis possible, wards in the city and districts in the more rural areas or whatever terminology that the local area uses, like parishes in Louisiana

As far as I understand it, whehter an election is local or national, the people running it are the same.

Is that wrong?

perdidochas: I respectfully disagree. The Tea party forced all of the Republican nominees to adopt Evangelical Conservative Positions that do not accurately reflect Independent and Minority voters positions. The Republican party is becoming a party of xenophobic,old, wealthy, Protestant white men. As a young Conservative, I look at this and it is profoundly saddening. What may have been started as a fiscal conservative movement with good intentions has become corrupted. Until the Republican party purges itself of these xenophobic tendencies, stops drinking the Grover Norquist flavor aid and adopts more moderate social positions that ARE NOT based on a narrow religious intrepretation, it is going to face difficulty in Presidential elections.

I thought all elections are local elections. They are run on the most rudiementary local basis possible, wards in the city and districts in the more rural areas or whatever terminology that the local area uses, like parishes in Louisiana

As far as I understand it, whehter an election is local or national, the people running it are the same.

Is that wrong?