Political trends

Many if not most of my co-workers are die hard Republicans.

A tour of the parking lot at work results in more NRA bumper stickers than anything else.

I live out in the sticks and my property has a very long frontage.

I get very annoyed when the local elections come around with people who think that it's OK to place signs on my property without my permission.

As a rule I take them down and pile them in a neat pile.

What annoys me more is that very few bother to pick them up after the election.

Yet another peeve that I can add to my ever growing pet peeve list!

I don't do any sort of stickers on my cars mainly because they are so hard to remove.

But maybe also because I'd feel like a real twit if the guy who was riding around on my bumper were to lose.

I don't enjoy the nasty negative ads that both parties are running on the TV.

Thankfully it kinda looks like the Republicans see that spending money in Pennsylvania is a waste of time and the number of these has slowed down a lot.

While I don't know nd have no way of proving it. I think that there are a lot of people who see the millions upon millions being spent on these campaigns as a real turn off and a reason not to support anyone and a reason not to vote.

As for the social media? While maybe it works in the Middle East, where it results in tens of thousands turning out for a demonstration? Here in the USA other than managing to get a few dancers together for a Flash Dance? For the most part the impact it has is if you ask me way over rated. But I'm not in my twenties anymore.

I'm not sure if we are still in "The Information Age" Or not? Maybe we moved on one day when I was sleeping through the negative TV ads?

But I kinda think that getting the word out is hard.

While finding ways of delivering the message isn't as hard as it used to be. The big problem lies in getting the word out and not annoying the heck out of people.

So far this year I haven't had to suffer through as many phone calls that I had in the past. The ones that always came when I was home alone and had just got comfortable on the throne and resulted in me being super annoyed and having sticky cheeks! (That might go to the top of my pet peeve list!)

Then of course there is the message.

While depending on which party you support you can blame the other side, but the truth is that the stale mate in Washington D.C has resulted in very little being done.

The Republican message seems to be what little has been done is all wrong and we don't have to worry, when they win they will undo it all.

The Democrats message is that they are going after anyone who earns over a certain amount and these guys will all move out and set up shop in the Cayman Islands.

As I see it the only people who are doing well out of this election are the elderly people who are being paid to look sad and down trodden in political ads that blame the other side for taking away their health care.

I'm very much looking forward to the debates.

I think that Ryan is going to wipe the floor with poor old Joe Biden.

But, maybe it's just me? Romney never looks at ease it's almost like he is an aged Ken who has lost Barbie. Someone needs to let him know that wearing blue jeans and no tie just makes him look silly and if there ever was a talking head he fits that role to a tee.

My money is on Obama. -Even though I wasn't that impressed by the speech that he gave at the DNC.

Ea.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing is per St Ronald of Reagan's son, his father would no longer fit into the Republicans new camp.. It is funny to see him on shows cringing that he can't free his father.. Unlike their adolation of Clinton, since Reagan is no longer alive, he can not speak for himself.. Clinton had the ability to tell them to buzz off in their trying to make him their idol.

Although I guess Reagan ran his own conspiracy theroy or fear tatic about the Panama.. I did like him as a president. I felt he did care about all the American people..

Eamonn, you think Ryan will do better in the debates then Biden?.. I would say 50-50.. Biden is older and maybe not as quick, and Ryan is slick and reminds me of Eddie Haskell from leave it to Beavah.. But, like the National Conventions, the Democrats have a better message. I know the Medicare issue and the Ryan Budget will come up, I doubt Ryan will want to get anymore specific on how he makes the numbers work without gutting many very popular programs.

They say Romney is his best in a debate, and debates are not Obama's best.. But, I still think Obama at his worst could mop up Romney at his best.. Even Romney is preparing everyone that he may not win the debates, by comments he has made.

Luckily my sister & Brother-in-law will be visiting from out-of-town during the first Presidential debate.. They are also very interested in the election and Obama fans.. So it will be fun to watch with them.. Almost like having people over for the superbowl!

I come from a political family where we debated at the dinner table every night. I always watch the conventions and it reminds me of growing up. So I am weird that way.

Tampa, being at one end of the I-4 corridor is the key swing area of Florida. (South Florida swings democrat and north republican). So we see a lot of action. West Tampa was visited twice in a week.

President Obama was here for his 3rd stop in 2 weeks. All within 1 mile of my house. In fact just last night I was stopped at a light on a Walmart-DEET run for the weekend Troop campout. I had to wait 10 minutes and I saw Obama's motorcade whiz through. For a split second I saw him through the window. It was pretty exciting.

In previous years I have seen Clinton in person, twice. (Met him many years ago) and both Bushes. A "decoy" motorcade once turned the corner one house down from me. All exciting stuff.

But Trevorum might be on to something. I have not seen many yard signs yet or many bumper stickers. Of the bumper stickers maybe 2 to 1 for Obama. More Romney signs than Obama but most came during the convention here. The yard signs (both parties) this time seem to be plastic stretched over a wire frame--pretty cheap looking.

This time I have been bombarded almost every night by polling and fake polling. As a white 5o male I usually get a lot of republican literature but none this time. But the Obama social media and phone reach out is relentless--at least for me. I am not being asked to just contribute or support but urged to get actively involved (throw a party, join a rally, do a bake sale). So my impression is that the Democrat campaign seem better organized; especially at the local level.

I'm looking for a "Sheen/Lohan 2012" sticker.

I live in a red county and work in a blue county. I keep my opinions to myself.

Here is what I hear in the red county:

"I can't stand that guy, there is no way I'm voting for him."

Here is what I hear in the blue county:

"I can't stand that guy, there is no way I'm voting for him."

Yes, social networking has replaced bumper stickers and a lot more. Young people rarely use traditional email any longer but rely on instant messaging from their social network providers.

Pretty amazing huh? Email is 'old school' now.

Bumper stickers around here more often involve "cold dead fingers" and such. But the campaigns haven't produce many stickers that I've noticed. The lack of interest is amazing when you consider how 'red' this area is. But the thing I have REALLY noticed is that I seem to be the only person in these threads to stand up for Romney in a debate situation. I was surprised a short while ago during my discussion about Romney's management skills with Beavah...when I felt I was hung out to dry by all the people in these threads who used to make noises as if they're conservative or something. What gives? Why did you just walk away and leave Romney twisting in the breeze?

packsaddle

While I really don't want your man Romney to win.(And I don't think that he will.)

I think one reason your fellow Republicans didn't step up to the plate and left you hanging in the wind was /is that the Romney campaign has not done such a great job of telling people who he really is.

Maybe I'm wrong but I also think most people know that he is a very wealthy man.

He served as Governor. (From what I've read he was very middle of the road.) If you believe the negative ads that bash him? He made some very tough business decisions that resulted in the closing of several companies. He is also a Mormon.

It seems a little strange to me that we live in an age of political correctness, where it just isn't right to bring up the fact that the President is black and the Governor is a Mormon. -But that's what it is.

Some people might think that I'm out of order to even mention the fact?

But there is another side to Governor Romney.

A side I think that his religion plays a big part in. He is a nice guy who has helped a lot of people, mainly people who have worked for him or are members of his church.

The guy that I see running for president, a lot of the time looks like an actor who was pushed into the leading role when the leading man came down with a broken leg.

He is not very personable (Where like him or not Obama is.) He doesn't seem to have a very clear message, other than he wants to beat Obama.

Maybe because the Republican party is so divided with the tea-party on one side and the not so nutty Republicans on the other, he is trying to hard not to upset either side?

In my view the big problem lies in that we just don't know him and the guys who are running his campaign have not done a good job of selling the "Nice Guy Romney".

I have not seen the entire tape of the 47% speech. I doubt many people have?

I tend to think that there is more in it than the parts that the media have jumped on. Still it has harmed him a lot and made him look like not such a nice fellow.

Last night on PBS there was the weekly Meet the press show or whatever it's called? And listening to the guys on it, they made it seem that the election is already lost for Governor Romney, that the Republicans are scrambling to repackage, re-message and re-present the entire campaign. Even with so many polls showing that the race is a dead heat Romney is falling behind in the must win states.

Oh well.

Not that he needs the money, but I'm sure the Fox News network will find space for him, next year. (I hope so!)

Ea.

LOL Eamonn ! Well, packsaddle like you I would like to hear from republicans who think this guy is a total nitwit, yet still are rooting for him to come up with Romney version 10.0.. 11.0, 12.0 how many other remakes it takes before he finds a winning sellable Romney.. Still are going to vote for him.

I started out open to both parties. I have voted Republican in the past. I voted Obama 4 years back, but Bush both years he was elected. I started out still liking Obama, but turn around though I see it, is slower then my instant gratification personality is wanting to see. So, I waited for Republicans to choose their "best man" with primaries. Then I turned my attention to figuring out if I preferred Romney or Obama.

The shock of what the Republicans have turned into shocked me. Republicans were to me always conservative in ways of small government and fiscal conservatism. What I saw of the new Republican party means I may as well change from Independent to Democrat, because until they implode and some other party fills the void, or they kick the teaparty group out and come back to a reasonable alternative, they are just not a party worth consideration..

But, I don't understand the loyalty of some to vote Republican even when the party has been taken over by extremist (if you yourself havent bought into the extremist viewpoint) and your Presidential candidate is a total looser and you know it. I can't take FOX news or Rush Limbaugh.. But I do watch Morning Joe.. Joe seems to be the old fashioned Republican. But they try to have guests on that are Democrat & Republican mix to have a discussion. Helps me feel at least I am not totally swept away on the Democrats rhetoric, but I have my ears open to any hopeful signs or Republicans returning to their senses (or at least being sensible in one or two areas, that Liberal media will not shine a spotlight on.)

Poor Joe, just is upset with Romneys attitude toward the 47% & Libya attacks.. From him I still get a sense that Republicans do care about helping those Americans in need.. They just have a different outlook on how to achieve that help.. From angry comments from other Republicans, over Mitts comments, I can see that there are still people anchored to what the Republican party was. They definitely don't see it in Mitt, or others like Todd Ackin.. They don't like seeing where their party is headed.

YET...

They still say.. Mitt has an opportunity to turn things around.. Mitt should do this or that to recover from this last gaff.. They still will vote for Mitt or Todd Ackin or whoever the twit is on the ballot in their district.. Doesn't matter who they are as long as they have ® next to their name..

I don't understand that reasoning. If Bozo the Clown was running as Republican they would vote for him due to the ® next to his name, no matter how competent or moderate the Democrat candidate is. I sort of understand that would not apply to Obama.. My husband was also hijacked by Republican brainwashing to hate him.. He is naive to what is sent to his email as being true.. So he believed the Birtherism, Muslim, non-flag saluting, boy scout hating stories.. Until I un-brainwashed him.. I forewarned him of the new "Obama is gay" thing so he heard it from me debunked before someone emailed the Tea-party conspiracy hype on it..

But, seriously Republicans where worshipping Bill Clinton(for some reason).. So say you had an Presidential election between Bozo the clown ® and Bill Clinton (D) (Hey, if Bozo can run, Bill can go for a third term).. I am convinced the Republicans would try to elect Bozo the clown..

(I would have used Hillary Clinton, as she may be the next to run in 2016.. But, I fear the women thing may still angered those who cannot get over a black President thing. Although I think for many it is not they are against a black president, just like my husband have been listening to the fearmucking brought on by extremists who are, but had to turn others hatred into something other then the simple race card..)

I have to admit, Romney hasn't exactly covered himself with political glory lately. Yet, you have to credit him with being honest about what he thinks...how in the heck he decided to saddle himself with a liar like Ryan I'll never understand.

So the latest trend seems to be going for Obama. I'm not worried. I'm convinced that the gap will close before the election although I concede it will be close. Not that it's going to make much difference, given what I think Romney will REALLY do if elected, I still think he'll defeat Obama.

Hmmmm.. So is that it? Those who want to vote Republican take one of the 50 faces of Romney and chooses the face they want to believe the real Mitt really is?

So you don't like Lyin' Ryan?.. I take it then your face is more like that of the MA Govenor? Since MA polls show Obama with a 28% LEAD on Romney, I don't think Romney left his post with high favors. In fact I know he didn't, as I saw the approval ratings go from high on his first month in office to trend consistantly downward till when he left office.

Democrats are not feeling confident even though they have a great lead in all the major swing states. They know that the dark money is there.. But we can only hope the continue to trip over the use of it. Like the ad (or ads) they did on coal miners. The first where the coal miners standing behind Romney as he talked about coal, being reported by the coal miners as the executives making it manditory they attend, but that the time be UNPAID for the time they were forced to be there.. they other part (not sure if in same commercial of different) coal miner looking like a common worker stating how Obama was ruining their livelyhood, when it turns out the person in the commercial was an executive of the coal company. This without the fact the claims on the commercial don't pass the fact checkers.. Anyway, it caused more resentment & bad press in Ohio & Virginia where they aired rather then positive bump.. It also has alerted these two states of how dishonest these Republican ads are. This hopefully will help when they start flooding the state with tons more of ads.

If we can have more dark money of the Republicans spent in the same manner, Democrats may end up needing to thank the Republicans for helping them to win the election.. Of course Romney opening up his mouth and sticking his silver foot in it, helps also. One comedian said Romney was the Democrats secret weapon.

Hmmmm.. So is that it? Those who want to vote Republican take one of the 50 faces of Romney and chooses the face they want to believe the real Mitt really is?

So you don't like Lyin' Ryan?.. I take it then your face is more like that of the MA Govenor? Since MA polls show Obama with a 28% LEAD on Romney, I don't think Romney left his post with high favors. In fact I know he didn't, as I saw the approval ratings go from high on his first month in office to trend consistantly downward till when he left office.

Democrats are not feeling confident even though they have a great lead in all the major swing states. They know that the dark money is there.. But we can only hope the continue to trip over the use of it. Like the ad (or ads) they did on coal miners. The first where the coal miners standing behind Romney as he talked about coal, being reported by the coal miners as the executives making it manditory they attend, but that the time be UNPAID for the time they were forced to be there.. they other part (not sure if in same commercial of different) coal miner looking like a common worker stating how Obama was ruining their livelyhood, when it turns out the person in the commercial was an executive of the coal company. This without the fact the claims on the commercial don't pass the fact checkers.. Anyway, it caused more resentment & bad press in Ohio & Virginia where they aired rather then positive bump.. It also has alerted these two states of how dishonest these Republican ads are. This hopefully will help when they start flooding the state with tons more of ads.

If we can have more dark money of the Republicans spent in the same manner, Democrats may end up needing to thank the Republicans for helping them to win the election.. Of course Romney opening up his mouth and sticking his silver foot in it, helps also. One comedian said Romney was the Democrats secret weapon.

Moosetracker, the 'secret weapon', if there is such a thing - it really isn't much of a secret - is the Tea Party and the thoughtless, idiotic ideas they promote. This is Romney's biggest impediment and the salvation of Obama's political future. I'll repeat this quote from another thread on 'Bullying Professor'. It comes from emeritus professor Dutch from UWGB as he was watching the 2008 Beijing Olympics opening ceremony:

"While the Chinese were unrolling an LED screen the size of a soccer field at the Beijing Olympic opening ceremony, we were groveling before people who want to see Obama's birth certificate and still insist the earth is 10,000 years old. I watched the opening ceremony and contrasted it with the sorry spectacle of the 2008 Presidential election and thought, they are going to mop the floor with us."

Dutch's response was close to mine. He was talking about the Tea Party, actually only a small part of the Tea Party which seems to run the whole thing. I know this part of it well because I live among them in the South.

So I strongly sympathize with Romney's dilemma. He loses no matter what. If he deviates even a little bit from the appearance of a passionate belief of the Tea Party nonsense he loses those wavering votes who are already suspicious of him. If he comes on strong for that same appearance of passionate belief he alienates the majority of reasonable people who are still undecided. It's an impossible position that he's in.

There was nothing factually incorrect about the claims he made in the video released by Mother Jones. They were calculated to keep the 'conservative' base in place. Yes, he has many faces.

Do you think that Obama only presents ONE face? Do you think Obama is completely consistent with the promises he makes? Well we don't have to worry about that last question because he didn't keep them in the first place.

End of discussion.

Romney is a known quantity if only to know that we can EXPECT him to change his mind once he's in office, and do what he thinks is best. We'll KNOW that there are no constraints because he's already demonstrated his willingness to ignore them.

Look, Romney is the Republican candidate for two reasons. First, he outspent his opponents. Second, in comparison to his opponents, he looked like a person who offered a sober, consistent, reasoned approach to government. If his opponents had also had sober, consistent, reasoned approaches to government, he'd have had some competition. But the strength of the Tea Party insured THAT was NOT going to happen.

Quite a while back, Beavah wrung his hands trying to figure out what the 'plan' is for the Tea Party and I consistently responded that the plan is NOT to have a plan. Think about that. In that respect, Romney is the logical choice. I just heard Joe Scarborough state straight up that Romney "has no plan" for the next four years. Romney's candidacy makes perfect sense if you accept that the Tea Party is in control of the Republican Party. There is no plan. There's not supposed to be one. The thing I don't get about the Tea Party is why don't they realize that Obama doesn't really have one either?

Edit to clarify: In case that sounded like luke-warm support for Romney, I really meant the above to explain the 'secret weapon' that was mentioned. Far from BEING the secret weapon, if anything Romney is the victim of it. I still think Romney (sans 'secret weapon') is a superior manager who can deal with real problems in a dispassionate, rational manner, and once he's elected will ignore the Tea Party for all the right reasons.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)