Political trends

Has anyone else noticed a lack of political bumper stickers this year in comparison to previous election years? I see a few stickers here and there for the blue guy but almost none for the red guy. And I live in a reddish area, so I know it's not a valid trend. What's up? Have stickers become a passe' form of political expression, like campaign buttons before them?

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I have not seen a whole bunch of bumperstickers, but I have seen a whole bunch of canned "Facebook" shares that leave me speechless. Why would a copy and paste article from the Republican/Democratic party or any number of PAC groups and think it will change anyone's mind?

OGE, good point. Maybe Facebook has replaced stickers. Makes me wonder what will be the political hula hoop of 2016, and beyond.

Tokala, you're right. I remember seeing a LOT of stickers for Paul. Not so much anymore. I guess his grassroots campaign had browned a bit over the summer.

Now that you mention it, I've only seen one Obama/Biden sticker all season. I'm not really looking for them though. It had just their two names, no slogans or symbols. And just today, I saw a very plain Romney/Ryan sticker. I also realized that these vehicles had no other stickers on their bumpers. I guess bumper stickers are indeed no longer considered reliable or effective communication tools.

I don't do Twitter or Facebook, or anything similar. I just don't have the time. I feel these candidates are forgetting about a big block of voters who actually get out and vote. Oh well, their loss.

sst3rd

perdidochas, what exactly are you trying to suggest? No point in dancing around, just say what you mean.

I know a lot of Republicans who don't want to put bumper stickers on their car because they don't really like their own candidate all that much, and don't want to be reminded of having had him shoved down their throats for however long they'll own their car, after he loses.

And I also know some Democrats who are pining for Bill Clinton since his recent convention speech, and who are frustrated with Obama. They aren't sticking on the bumper stickers, either.

(By the way, I have a bumper sticker for one of the current candidates on my car.)

I think both sides are totally polarized. I think on both sides the fear is with vandalism. Both sides have some angry people.

Some Republicans have real hate over Obama. Democrats although many really like their candidates know about the hatred, so wont ask for trouble.

I don't think Democrats really hate Romney.. He kind of is too much of a joke right now.. But, there is fear that such a dimwit could get elected. If he was in office for 4 years I am sure we could build up true hatred though.. This is a person that could get us into many wars by insulting important foreign dignitaries, then doubling down on the comment to further rub salt in the wounds. This is a person who cannot guide a country by changing course faster then he changes his socks!

I could not believe that today, he is trying to now own the fact Obamacare is his brainchild, and doesnt want to deport all illegal immigrants, and is talking about the positives of welfare.. Wow.. Soon it will be Vote for me, Im like Obama, only in the white version! I mean this may be the return of Massachusetts Govenor.. Since we are up to Romney 9.0, and the MA Govenor wasnt version #1.. I am guessing this is the return of model # 3.0..

Seriously, I dont think Republicans need to worry about angry vandalism, from Democrats. Just someone thinking There goes a stupid person as they drive by.. You will get our pity.

I'll admit to fantisizing about ramming cars with the wrong stickers!

Political bumper stickers and buttons used to be free, now campaigns sell them. I remember giving out Nick Galifinakis buttons at 8 or 10 years old. The were fun because his name took up two buttons and I had to give folks one of each half.

I'm not paying to put some jackass's name on my car.

I do have to say the best bumper sticker I've seen was blue with the white block type and the logo in the "O" which said SERIOUSLY?

I haven't seen any free ones. I get lots of emails and Facebook ads, and the stickers are $4.95 each. No thanks. I'm sure a bumper sticker isn't going to convince anyone to change their mind, and like Perdidochas said...in the neighborhoods I have to travel in, I don't want to take the chance.

I counted on the way home from work today. Three stickers for Mr Obama and one for Mr, Romney. But I also saw seven fish plaques, one flying spaghetti monster, one yin yang, and one fish with legs plaque. However, the winner hands down was 21 Texas Longhorns stickers vs only five Texas Aggie stickers.

I guess the message is, at least here in Texas, that football outvotes both politics AND religion. ;)

An independent's observation ...

An elderly lady, a poet, in the building where I work gave me a bunch of posters that she made herself praising "Captain Obama". (Seriously, that was the title of one of her poems.)

I have lots of pro-Mitt friends, but none of them have gotten that syrupy in any of their public statements.

So I give cult-of-personality points to the dems.