Covering up molesters - released records

Yah, since da previous thread on this vanished and it's an important, even vital issue for BSA-brand Scouting, it seems like it is worth continuin' the discussion a bit.

One thing that's clear to me is that there seems to be only a handful of real news outlets and all da rest copycat. So we've seen across the nation the copying of da LATimes piece without the slightest bit of independent vetting. A sign of the decay of da modern press.

Has anyone seen any meaningful follow-up pieces that go beyond the highlighted 5-worst-cases? What has been local reaction in your area? How are yeh handlin' it with parents, your CO, and community?

Beavah

I've noticed the same thing. Lots of news outlets quoting the Times, but no one else actually looking at their data.

In one of the earlier threads, someone had suggested that all the records might be released to the public in Oct/Nov. Perhaps that will fill in a lot of the questions that we all have.

I had one older woman from the church mention it to me in passing..."Did you see the latest news on the Scouts? [shaking her head] That's terrible..."

That's the only local reaction I've seen. No parent has brought it up, no one of any authority at the CO has brought it up. From that I am inferring that anyone who has seen any of it recognizes that it is not a troop-level issue, and it does not affect the day-to-day operation of the troop. I think I would do more harm than good if I were to bring it up in any general fashion. If people were to start talking about it, my reaction might be different.

I haven't heard anything or been asked about it by any volunteers or general public. I haven't seen anything 'pop' in the local newspaper/media.

We had a previous case that was brought by the lawyer from the Portland case. Cost the BSA about $400K. I've heard about another being filed from a case that was circa 1981-82. I'm not sure where that case is headed. I have talked with my SE about a couple of people that are on the ineligible list in case he hears anything so he will be aware. All of them are from the 80s.(This message has been edited by Tokala)

Following up on Tampa's, "Folks from the outside are not always going to bring it up to you if they know you are in scouting. Instead they will steer their kids to other groups and activities."

I think that's the case inside as well. I think there is a real tendency for parents to take a, "Well, that's not happening in *my* troop/league/school/church."

I think it's mostly because they don't want to have to admit to themselves that they might be putting their son or daughter in harms way.

I'd be really surprised if any comment were ever made at any Scout meeting or outing.

Of course, that's what the pedophiles are hoping for, isn't it?

At our Executive Board meeting last night, our VP of legal asked the SE if National was sharing the names of people from our Council. The SE had asked National and was told that they would not be sharing the names. Guess instead of allowing their local SE to prepare for any potential media inquiries, National prefers the locals to remind blind and ignorant. National just doesn't seem to concern itself with local affairs until it relates to income for Irving.

I've had first hand knowledge of two Scouter molestation accusations. One turned out to be false after the boy recanted and the DE lost his job. The other SM spent many years in jail. I knew the SM and it reminded me... you can't tell.

For those following the release of files... two items of interest if you haven't seen:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/us/boy-scouts-claim-good-faith-effort-to-protect-against-abuse.html?_r=1&ref=boyscouts

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/youthprotection/pdf/WarrenReportSummary.pdf

Josryan,

Thanks for the link. I pulled a few tidbits:

"Scouting involvement served a significant protective function for youth when compared to reported rates of abuse in other youth serving organizations, activities, and even within the family itself."

"In 1980 BSA had approximately 1.1 million Scouting-involved adults registered. In that year, only 25 IV Files were created. This indicates that 0.002 percent or 2 per 100,000 of all registered Scouting involved adults in that year came to the attention of BSA because of alleged inappropriate sexual behavior with a child or adolescent. This suggests that youth were safer in Scouting than in society at large." (And those were allegations, not convictions.)

60% of the files contain public knowledge references, newspapers etc., so BSA was not trying to 'Cover up' or keep 'Secret Perversion Files.' Just because BSA didn't routinely publish false or unproven allegations does not mean that BSA was trying to hide unsavory acts from the public.

People trying to make the IV files out to be a big deal, are trying to make a hot air ballon out of a condom. Makes you wonder what their real agenda is?

LA Times has an update to their article:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-boy-scouts-20120927,0,3623954.story

"Boy Scouts to review half-century of files on sexual predators

Law enforcement will be informed of any previously undisclosed cases, the organization says. "

"The Boy Scouts of America has announced it will review more than a half-century of its confidential files on alleged sexual predators and will inform law enforcement of any cases it had not previously disclosed.

The unprecedented review will examine about 5,000 cases dating from the 1950s to the present in which Scouting employees or volunteers were suspected of molesting children and were expelled from the organization, officials said."

Good for the BSA. Should have done it awhile ago, but I am glad that we are now doing the right thing.

I was a youth when I first heard the national organization had such a file. This was in the 70s.

It's pretty clear that the files will not only have whatever bits of local police blotter and newspaper items, but will also have plenty of hearsay malarky and ad hoc stuff.

Of course, the chief purpose of this whole deal has been to profit the lawyers.

Standards of protection change. I would LOVE to be able to go back in time and sue my local fire department for their "inadequate" protection of my house back in the 1990s. Or sue car manufacturers for the "insufficient" attention to safety in the cars I've bought over the years.

EVEN TODAY we know very little scientific facts about these sex topics. I would love to see a short compendium of real facts about homosexuality and pedophilia. . . this would go a long way toward resolving all these current political battles and shoutfests, even here.

"PORTLAND, Ore. -- The Boy Scouts of America plan to begin doing what critics argue they should have done decades ago -- bring suspected abusers named in the organization's so-called perversion files to the attention of police departments and sheriff's offices across the country.

...Scouts spokesman Deron Smith to say the organization will go back into the files and report any offenders who may have fallen through the cracks.

Smith said Mike Johnson, the group's youth protection director and a former police detective, will lead the review..."

http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_21672182/boy-scouts-tell-police-about-pedophiles-perversion-files

IMO, National should just turnover ALL files to the police as at this point, Professor Warren, Mike Johnson, indeed anyone hired by the BSA, has little credibility with the victims and the public.

My $0.02,

The statute of limitations would have long ago expired on most of those cases. The statute of limitations that was in place _at the time of the offense_ applies, so even if it was lengthened later the offense could not be prosecuted unless the statute was lengthened before the old term expired. For many states, that statute of limitations used to be somewhere between 4 to 7 years, or until the victim turned 18.