My mom is a Strip Tease Dancer

One of my favorite college memories is going to "Clancy's" on New York Avenue in DC and watching the students from Gallaudet sign to each other while they watched the dancers and wondering what they were saying to each other. Music was so loud, I couldn't talk to or hear my buddy 6" away from me.

And no, "pole dance" is not a mazurka.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just figure the unit missed out on a sure-fire way to increase attendance at committee meetings and I'm sure there would be no problem getting more boys FATHERS involved in the unit.

Can't wait to see their Pioneering projects at the Troop level :)

I always find it iteresting:

1) BSA is anti-gay, but also bemoans men (adult or otehrwise) viewing females as objects of desire? teenage boys are horny, who are they supossed to fantisize about then? Don't way you didn't as a youth - or you're a liar.

2) Everyone is so quick to jump on the "mom" in this situation, but as admitted to on this tread, some of the leader "dads" have partaken in the right of passage to the strip club. Why are they still fit to lead? Oh yeah, cause if you tempt us, it HAS to be the female's fault. Hop, skip and jump - you just justified rape.

3) Why should someone / anyone get to pass judgement on what is or is not an acceptable profession for someone to be a scout leader. I've filled out several adult leader apps in my day. It asks about convictions and ask for the OK to do a background check (I assume for pedophile type offenses). It asks for 3 references. NO WHERE on the adult leader application does it ask for you to JUSTIFY your profession as being "leadership" worthy.

We should just go back to banning non-Christian religions and blacks, or other minorities... I sure some out there feel "they" have tainted our ranks.

Chew on this one Barry-

The Buhdists (at least in Thialand) don't view PROSTITUTION as a dirty or immoral way to earn a living. Been to Thialand, they have Buhdist shrines right in the corner of EVERY bar and EVERY bar has women for sale if you really want the company.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I would not advocate to kick out all Buhdist scouts based on this particular religious view of the "worlds oldest profession". Any yes, a lot of budhists stateside share the same view or are at least VERY tolerant of the view.

Sheesh!

Dean

H'mmmm, interesting faith, that Buddhism. The more I learn about it the more I like it.

As far as 'hornyness', that comment reminded me of the drooling stares I observed as the boys peered out the church van windows gazing (lusting?) after a particular bikini-clad passerby. I so wish I could have gotten a photo of those leering faces behind the glare of that window, completely consumed by fantasies of desire, some of them didn't even know what was happening to them. I and the other leaders nearly fell on the ground in laughter. The boys didn't even notice us.

Having had a number of mom's who work in the adult entertainment industry I think I can offer some thoughts.

While just going and dancing at such an establishment isn't all that bad......It is all the other activities that goes on there. Prostitution, drugs and such. I will say that there were a couple awkward situations with some of the dads....resulting in the mom pulling the scout, dad involved was a complete horn dog and wouldn't leave her alone.....Sad situation, the boy was a super kid. the dad was the biggest idiot on the planet, and just couldn't get past the fact that she was a stripper and he had seen her work....

I kept suggesting that it was just John's mom and far as he knew she was a nurse or counter help at mcdonald's because his wife certainly wouldn't appreciate him going to such an establishment. of course that didn't stop his mouth.....

I freely admit prior to my kids coming along, I would meet the Ducati guys and would partake a couple times a year.... As they would chuckle "Supporting Single mom's one dollar at a time"...

As far as 'hornyness', that comment reminded me of the drooling stares I observed as the boys peered out the church van windows gazing (lusting?) after a particular bikini-clad passerby. I so wish I could have gotten a photo of those leering faces behind the glare of that window, completely consumed by fantasies of desire, some of them didn't even know what was happening to them.

How sad that you didn't correct them.

I will come right out and say that a man who goes to strip clubs and doesn't see anything wrong with it is not fit to be a leader of boys.

What about a man (my dad) who lets his 11y.o. son work at his beer distributor, hauling cases and legs into every bar in the county?

Maybe he shouldn't have been a committee member.

Very few of us are really in a position to throw stones.

That said, if your profession is not one where you'd bring your kid, you probably have some thinking to do.

And regarding the polished view of Thai bar girls, I met a woman who was widowed thanks to AIDS from one such "respectable" sex worker. She dug deep, forgave, and got to know some of the girls (most start their careers at age 12 and few reach age 18 - think the age of our scouts), nearly all were dying to get out, but nobody thought they were worth the time nor money to educate or retrain. No amount of religion can whitewash the fact that prostitution, wherever it occurs, exploits the most desperate in our society.

Wow, my memory is really slowing down. This discussion just reminded me of a colleague (female, now retired) who taught human anatomy. In her labs each year, she would occasionally hire a male stripper (body builder type with really well-defined muscles) to come to lab and pose nude so that students could compare diagrams with the real deal. Not a single complaint was ever lodged by either male or female students. I guess it might have been different if the stripper had been female. I wonder why?

I'll just toss this little nugget out that for all our supposed liberal morality up here in Beantown, about the only establishment more difficult to get a permit for than a Chick-fil-a would be a permit for a Hooters. Yet when travelling in the south on several occaisions and joining colleages after work for a refreshment at such an establishment you'd think you were going to a Howard Johnson's based on the number of couples and families there. They have good wings.

SA

Im with Pack, dont punish instinct, just teach control. Nothing could have been said in that moment that would have improved the boys character.

Who said anything about punishing? How about simply saying, "Turn around, fellas"? And setting the example rather than laughing about it.