Racial Politics

Yah, I agree completely with eisely's history. Da Grand Old Party of Lincoln was generally on the forefront of northern religious opposition to slavery and lack of equality, while the Democrats were generally da party of plantation farmers. That continued, until the 1960s. I remember that party. I was proud of it, eh?

Nowadays I confess I don't recognize that same spirit in the GOP, and I confess a bit of consternation that my Grand Old Party has become da happy home for some of da folks packsaddle and trailwalker talk about. I agree with folks that "racism" has been used too frequently by da likes of Democrats like Jesse Jackson who are really a sort of extortionists. At the same time, folks tend to become associated with da company they keep, and da modern Republican Party hasn't necessarily been keepin' the best company.

Yah, sure, a few folks get incensed about any sort of policy issue, I get that. But they're pretty few. Da policy items in this election that are actually at issue don't seem to me to be that big, eh? You've got a moderate Republican who passed Romneycare and was pro-abortion, pro-gay-marriage in Massachusetts vs. a moderate Democrat who ... hhhmmmm... is the same. ;) Da actual changes in the direction of national policy aren't goin' to be that large, unless one or da other gets us into a shootin' war with Iran.

So why all the hullaballoo? Why all the energy? It's hard not to look at da apocalyptic language on da Republican side and not at least wonder what part of it has a racial component. Then again, folks got pretty much in a tizzy over Hillary too, so maybe it's just da sort of folks they are. Or maybe it's da way the intelligent media have all left da field to an absurd caricature of da 4th Estate, so we're fed nuthin' but nutters from both sides every day because nutters sell.

On a side note, has anybody seen da calculator for Paul Ryan time? Yeh can enter your actual race time and get da adjusted Paul Ryan time. http://www.paulryantimecalculator.com Boy, do I look like a better athlete, eh! :)

Beavah

Thanks Beavah, I think. I hadn't heard that one about Ryan's marathon claim. Perhaps we need to examine his long form birth certificate, you know, just to make sure. I can see that he'd fail immediately on that first point of the law. Probably need to fact check everything from him.

I just bested a world record but I suspect someone else has already bested mine using the same fudge factor. You think the phrase 'voodoo economics' is ready for application yet?

What this is, is Romney's insurance that no one would dare do anything to him. We can't afford to risk having Ryan in office. But I'm still sticking with Romney, BTW, just in case you're wondering. It's not 'in the bag' yet but I think he can still pull it off.

"The Repulicans are dirty awful people with no redeeming value at all."

"The republican party itself may not be a racist organization, but it is #1 with racists"

Do these comments only refer to Republicans you personally don't like or all registered Republicans in general?

And we wonder why the country is in the position it is these days.

The complete line reads

"So now the Democrats rip the Republicans for drawing breath. The Repulicans are dirty awful people with no redeeming value at all."

I apologize if you thought that Republicans were dirty awful people was a characterization that I held. I do not, I was inferring that this the thinking of Democrats

Sorry to have confused you

Hey OGE, how about you don't try to speak for groups you apparently are not part of? I am a Democrat. I don't think it is accurate to say that Democrats as a group feel the way you've inferred we do, about Republicans.

If you'd like to go down that road, I'll be happy to start posting what I think Republicans think. After all, as a Democrat, I am sure I'll get it right!

Lisabob, did you read my original post? I must have confused you with somehow

So, I have Eagle732 mad at me for taking shots at the Republicans and you for shots at Democrats, I must be doing OK if both side hate me

and since when is hyperbole not a tool I can use?

I might have missed something but here's what I was responding to:

"I apologize if you thought that Republicans were dirty awful people was a characterization that I held. I do not, I was inferring that this the thinking of Democrats "

You know, we Dems believe in compromise though, so we might meet you halfway on whether or not Republicans are "dirty awful" - which half do you want to drop? (firmly tongue in cheek, relax everybody)

Apparently a lot was missed. I was expressing anger at BOTH sides for being shrill and promising Doom and Gloom if either side wins

That both sides missed what I was trying to say either means no one can read or I need to be better at explaining myself

I blame me

OGE I'm not mad at you. I never thought that your opinion was that you hated anyone. I've read enough of you posts to know you're a good guy.

I think 99% of the people who post here are good, dedicated scouters, we all just have a difference of opinion. Of course some of us are right and some of you are wrong ; )

• 2 weeks later...