SM accused of enticing boy

Of course all of us are saddened when we see and hear about this sort of thing.

While this is upsetting, I wonder what good it does posting it here?

The BSA has many thousands of adult volunteers and over the years has taken steps to try and keep the kids we serve as safe as is possible.

But, like it or not there is and always will be a few rotten apples.

I feel sure that the good people in Colorado have everything that they need to deal with this situation.

While I might ask where the Lads Mother or parents were when he was doing what ever it was he was doing in front of his computer?

Still I can't help feeling that this problem is a local problem that will be dealt with locally and seeing it here? As far as I'm concerned serves no purpose.

Sorry if I come off sounding harsh.

Eamonn

I am still waiting for the part about how all the neighbors are shocked, this guy was such a good family man, wonderful marriage, nobody had any idea that he could possibly do anything like this, etc. etc.

I do agree with Eamonn at least partially... it sounds like some more parental supervision would have been a good idea here.

Who else is to blame here?????

The parents, you bet your behinds.

What 12 year old has a computer with a webcam in their room or somewhere secluded????? What 12 year old has a skype account????

Don't get me wrong the guy is a dirt bag until proven other wise.

Eamonn,

Not harsh. Yes it is demoralizing but I think it is good to be reminded to be on the alert from time to time. I know I am far too naive, trusting despite abuse as a youth. I know I had a bad "vibe" from a Dad (and a few comments from mom's feeling "uncomfortable" on how he handled children) and he was the one handling the adult paperwork. It was a bad situation --you do not want to make a false accusation with all the fallout--but I had to do something.

Coincidentally a parent was FBI and tasked with child crimes. Became a bit paranoid about this sort of thing--occupational hazard perhaps. Apparently ALL of us had been checked out. The dad I was worried about came out clean but I think we do keep an extra careful eye on him.

But yeah it is discouraging.

Basement, more than you think...and now they all have smartphones, too. My nieces weren't happy until their parents buckled under and bought them iPhones, which apparently you "wear" in the back pocket of your skin-tight jeans so that the Apple symbol is visible.

Let's be very clear. *they* don't *all* have smartphones. My kids have to pay for their data plans. Son#3 is 15 and has a humble track phone that he only uses for emergencies. Why? 10 cents a minute out of his own pocket.

That said, webcams are dirt cheap. There would be nothing stopping a lad from rigging one up.

Q.....but what parent lets a 12 year old have a computer in their room? and enough privacy to be able to create a skype account, and have a long enough discussion with the man for him to think it was safe to ask that sort of a question.

We have a computer my kids can use.....All of the traffic thru the router is logged to my computer......The web camera on the laptop they use has been mechanically deactivated in a permanent manner.

the laptop is located in a position in the main room of the house where I can see the screen while watching TV.

I have the passwords to all of their online game accounts and email accounts. If one of them starts acting in a questionable manner I will go check the accounts to see if anything is going on. and I will check the url log and see if they are going places they shouldn't.

Smart phones.....Neither of my kids have phones dumb or smart, As a parent I would not cave in to the pressure for something as nonessential as a phone......For that matter my kids will never be part of the isheep crowd as long as I am paying for it.......

The simple fact is that BSA has had this problem since it's inception. The files go back to 1919, right, and one of BP closer friends was a pedophile, right?

The problem is that BSA had decided long ago to shield itself (and by extension the pedophiles) from justice, thereby making BSA a collection point for those "bad apples" (I don't know why we pick on apples...bad tomatoes are far more disgusting.)

Here is to hoping the lessons from Penn State will open the eyes of all youth programs to immediately turn over all known cases for prosecution...both past and present.