Boy Scout leader says he was forced out because he is gay

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Recently, this leader proactively contacted BSA leadership and disclosed he did not meet Scouting's membership standards. Based on his notification, council leadership met with him and he made the decision to resign as a volunteer leader. As a voluntary, private organization the BSA sets policies that are best for Scouting but does not proactively inquire about the sexual orientation of employees, volunteers, or members."

Admittedly, Bourke said he did write the Boy Scouts a few months ago and came out as a gay man. He did not want to resign but changed his mind when his pastor at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church was told by the Boy Scouts they may lose their Scouting charter.

In contrast, the Girl Scouts of Kentuckiana said they are more inclusive as a secular organization and do not have a sexual orientation policy like the Boy Scouts, which is based on Christian values.So the Girl Scouts made the statement that the BSA is based on Christian values, and the reporter let it stand. Interesting, because it is exactly the opposite of the stated BSA policy, The Boy Scouts of America, therefore, recognizes the religious element in the training of the member, but it is absolutely nonsectarian in its attitude toward that religious training.

So why do they think the BSA is based on Christian values? My guess, because it is. Even if not explicitly, the BSA clearly comes out of a Christian tradition.

Ahhhh,

Selfish leaders......Who pays the price? The boys do

I applaud him for writing the letter, but it should have included a letter of resignation as well. Instead the CO gets threatened.

But before he sat down to write the letter he needed to look at the price that was going to be paid and who was going to pay it.

OK, let me get this correct, he is acting upset because he was asked to leave an organization after he wrote a letter saying that he did not meet the stated requirements to be a leader in the organization?

This to me is the equivalent of a preist being upset about being asked to leave the Catholic church after writing a letter to the Bishop telling him that you do not believe in God or His Son.

Seems like a publicity act.

On the opinion side of the equation, why do we care who is sleeping with whom? Are they of good moral character? do they meet the twelve points? Then who cares what they do in the bedroom? It should not be a discussion in Scouting regardless of orientation.

just my .02

OGE - Orthodox Judaism doesn't like gays, but conservative and reformed Temples do allow Gays. A local Rabbi told his members to not support Scouting due to their policy, but we were able to bring him around with a lot of effort.

Since I tend to be a "skeptic", I find it interesting how once again we conveniently have one of these supposedly "pick on the Gay leader" stories, just in time to make sure it does not lose visibility. Those that say the Gay activists are not actively orchestrating this seem to me to be naive or blind. But, then I am skeptical anyway, so perhaps I am a victim of misperception.

Are you suggesting that people whose views you disagree with should not engage in the political process? That they shouldn't use the same tools and approaches that pretty much any other person might use?

I am afraid I don't see anything to be skeptical about here, or any reason to cry "conspiracy!" What I see, is somebody modeling this, which I think we might all agree is commendable:

"A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobeying them. "