Frankly, I know very little about this program.

Does it suck money, time and attention away from traditional Scouting or does it add resources to traditional Scouting?

Does it serve a useful Scouting purpose or would it be better to abandon this program?

I'm not talking about Exploring here, which is recognizable as having a Scouting purpose and use something like Scouting methods.

Depends on who you ask...

Several folks I know said that LFL was created when the United Way was going to stop giving money to the BSA over the No athesit gay exclusion.. None of that matters in LFL.

There are several LFL units on council books in schools around my home.... Nobody seems to know how to contact them.

Here's what I've been told by various folks about LFL.

1) It came about from the "in-school Scouting programs" where BSA was trying to get schools to use Scouting to instill values and character development.

2)One reason for it's creation was to allow girls into the program.

3) another reason was to allow government agencies like schools to use it without the atheism issue.

4) Exploring become part of it after a lawsuit against a police department CO was lost by the PD.

AM,

In addition to the above, I have met two pros who do not want LFL in their council b/c it isn't "traditional scouting." They wanted to keep the in school scouting units.

On another note, I converted 2 "in school Scouting" units to LFL, and got the materials for them. If memory serves, old age ya know ;), the materials were very good and I liked it.

Eagle, I agree, the LFL program if administered could be a good program. But its deviance from BSA's stringent moral policies... well you know my stance on that one.

And SeattlePioneer, I challenge you to get your councils most recent annual report. Its supposed to be public record yours for the asking at the Scout office. One way to check the health of your council is by its annual membership figures. Your District chair should have a copy as they usually attend the annual council business meeting and or dinner. Better yet, your COR should have a copy if he attends the annual business meeting to cast his vote for the next years' executive board as is his right and duty to do so. The annual report is for the community at large.

So I will put the challenge out there to anyone from the Chief Seattle Council if you have the 2011 annual report, what were the membership figures declared? Cubs, Scouts, Venturers, Explorers, LFL.(This message has been edited by abel magwitch)

Abel

LFL/Exploring are for the most part paper units with a highly transient membership which was developed as someone already stated to appease the United Way. In most councils it is a generic number put into the budget each year. In the true sense of the word it is not really a "scouting" program at all.

It sounds like what BP is saying is that it really isn't a program at all but just an imaginary numbers game to add to the overall membership in order to generate funds.

BP, You aren't implying that this LFL is nothing more than a phantom? Say it isn't so.

(by the way BP, I am very fimiliar with the LFL program in my neck of the woods. I am just surprised that SP doesn't know much about the program in his council - a program that made up almost half of his council's overall membership just a few years ago. SP's council LFL counts were far higher than any individual traditional program. With all these LFL members running around, how could SP not know about the LFL program. of course I write with a bit of sarcasm.)(This message has been edited by abel magwitch)

I will say it depends. The two schools I had LFL in were all the classes in one grade and I sent them all the info and literature they were suppose to use. I'll be honest I don't know if they actually used ti or not as I only met with them 2-3 times, andit was in a short period of time since I wasn't a pro for long.

BUT, one active Scouter in my district did create active, viable LFL groups with the local housing authority, and they were active. So active that the Cub Scouts borrowed the LFL program's PWD track for practice runs. The challenge was that they were grant dependent, and when the grants went away, so did the groups.

My memory is a bit fuzzy and I may be in error but I think LFL is listed as a seperate Division of the BSA and in local councils the SE is also CEO of the LFL corporation as a seperate division. Also can slpit the compensation package if or as needed. Thats why LFL membership numbers may or may not be included in a council annual report.

Like I said my memory is fuzzy on this so I don't gurantee it is completly accurate.

Eagle92, does some of this sound familiar?