Future BSA President Intent to Eliminate the Ban on Gays

More on the user-customized advertising on this forum: The ad I am looking at right now across the top of the page says "Do You Support Chick-fil-A?" With a picture of a cow on the left and a "Vote Now!" button on the right. I do not think I have ever gone to the Chick-fil-A web site nor to any other forum where the "Chick-fi-A issue" is being discussed. So I maintain my opinion that the ads are at least partially based on the subjects being discussed on the page, such as this one which has "ban on gays" in its header.

As for BadenP, look, I am not really arguing with you. I made a prediction, which I hope is incorrect. I hope you are correct that the change will come sooner. But I have to wonder, if the change really is driven exclusively by money, will it be made before the BSA irreparably injures itself financially? And I also have to say (going back to one of your earlier comments), I do not see any signs of imminent financial collapse, but then again I do not really pay much attention to National as long as they keep publishing handbooks (and the like) and having YP and other training online, and keep sending back Eagle certificates etc. when after the kids have their Boards of Review. Other than that and maybe a few other things, for me, National does not even exist. (Oh, and Scouting magazine.) The identity of the latest occupant of the musical chair of CSE is only of passing interest to me, and I suspect the same of most of the people who read this forum, especially those of us at the unit level. The same goes with merging regions; I have never seen any tangible product or result of even having regions, so again it does not matter to me. (I did know one guy who walked around with gold tabs and a Regional Executive Board patch (or something like that) but when I knew him he was doing local Cub Scout recruitment and and teaching Cub Scout Basic Leader Training and things like that, so his regional affiliation was really inconsequential.) Even as for councils merging, the councils in New Jersey went through a big round of mergers ending in 1999, our district was broken up and merged with others a couple of years later, but the councils have remained the same. Of course there could be an announcement tomorrow that New Jersey will become one big council, but I'll worry about that when it happens and even then, what can I do about it? In the past few years, I have seen troops fold and other troops start up. I see no signs of imminent collapse around me. But as I said, that all could change tomorrow. I do hope the BSA decides to change before large pieces of it start disappearing.(This message has been edited by njcubscouter)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NJ-"I do hope the BSA starts to change before large pieces of it start to disappear."

Truer words were never spoken NJ. I think we have seen many pieces already disappear over the last 20 years, in programming, council camps and property some that were built and maintained by volunteers for up to 70 years being sold out from under to make up for severely diminished revenue and membership or corrupt scouting professional SE's who drove the councils into bankruptcy and with NO accountability. An apathetic National office who really could care less what the volunteers think or need to deliver the program in the field, or which direction the program should take. Personally speaking and as a former DE for five years, I think Britian has the right idea with scouts being a mainly volunteer run/controlled organization. Professional scouting on a National and local level has spun way out of control and needs to be reined in before it is too late.

BadenP, I agree! When I see a CSE making over $250,000 a year with a council camp that's falling apart and they won't even buy materials for it's volunteers to maintain it I have to wonder. Seems their highest priority is to fund their own inflated salaries.