Partnership Opportunities Between BSA and AHG

"My only guess is that they get the assurance that the AHG will not start an alternative scouting organization for boys."

Wanta bet it happens if the BSA changes its stance on gays....

American Heritage Boys

Just sayin.....Bet they will regret supporting them.

Far as their membership growth to 19,000 it just shows how exclusionary and ignorant most folks are......Of course it is easy to forget about the other folks in your rich white suburban wasp neighborhood......

Gotta ask AHG mom.....are you divorced or have you been???? and do you meet all the requirementst to be a member

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't expect an answer.....

Just tryin to make a point....

It is fine to have high moral standards......

I doubt a single leader in their group actually meets them.....

I am still amazed at all the white dresses at weddings......really who is kidding who here

>

Well now Basement. Even the official Saints are sinners.

Personally, one of the things I ADMIRE about Christianity is that it has VERY high standards of behavior people are expected to aim for and achieve, even while recognizing that we are all sinners and will fail at achieving the expected behavior. Nevertheless, the high standards are still expected no matter how many times we fail.

PLANNING to continue your sinful ways is not acceptable behavior.

The good Christians I observe do their best to live by very high moral standards even though they fail to achieve those standards. They reflect about those weaknesses and failures and resolve to try to do better in the future.

That tends to have better results than those who have low or no standards of moral behavior and don't care a fig about such things --- or perhaps boast about such behavior and try to persuade others to adopt it as well.

In short, the world is a LOT better off with Christianity than without it, in my opinion.

pere

"Thats not how parenting works" - Peregrinator

What a crock of bull Pere, you are either not a parent or are a total control freak over your kids lives. Kids should be allowed to make their own choices throughout their lives, with some parental supervision. You are not going to let your kids try something they really want to do to see if they will enjoy it? I raised two sons who are in their late teens now, both became Eagle Scouts, their own choices, one plays football the other is taking flying lessons. You think as a parent it would be right of me to tell them no no those activites are too dangerous you might be seriously hurt? Heck NO you need to give your kids some leeway as they get older it is part of them growing into responsible adults.

All I can say to you Pere is that I truly feel sorry for your kids.

What a crock of bull Pere, you are either not a parent or are a total control freak over your kids lives.

Making an educated decision for one's children is not remotely akin to being a "control freak" (and by the way, not that it is any of your business, but I have three kids and another on the way). For example, I don't have to let my kids try a school before I know it's not for them (especially if I know from personal experience). If my daughter is thriving in a non-GSUSA organization, why would I need to let her try the GSUSA? The likelihood that she would even ask to try is nil.

You are not going to let your kids try something they really want to do to see if they will enjoy it? I raised two sons who are in their late teens now, both became Eagle Scouts, their own choices, one plays football the other is taking flying lessons. You think as a parent it would be right of me to tell them no no those activites are too dangerous you might be seriously hurt?

Now you're building up a straw man so you can knock it down.

>

Ummm. Personally I think a parent might reasonably object to a youth playing tackle football for a team. There's a pretty high risk of serious injury there, compounded by too many coaches who allow a desire to win trump concern for the interest of a player.

Learning to fly seems quite reasonable.

My parents allowed my older brother to learn rock and ice climbing with the Seattle Mountaineers. He was killed in an avalanche at age 15, fifty years ago.

Parents are supposed to use their judgment in deciding what their children do. That judgment can be wise or foolish.

Sounds like a nice group that is serving the needs of those families. Glad to hear about it.

However: when the "favorite activities" mentioned by the girls in the troop are the 'daddy daughter dance' and the 'mother daughter tea,' I am not sure I can easily imagine partnering with a cub pack or boy scout troop!

Our council has a "Mom and Me" camping weekend for Cub Scouts designed for moms to have a quality camping experience with their sons. It always receives rave reviews from moms in my experience:

http://www.seattlebsa.org/Camping/Mom-and-Me

A Daddy and Daughter Dance for a girls program sounds charming to me, and one of my interests is always to bind children and parents more closely together, especially fathers.

I would envision a girls program that would cooperate with Cub Scout program when that is desirable and organizes their own program when that is desirable.

I wonder if our council would allow AHG familes to attend along with Cub Scout families at a "Mom and Me" Camp? It might be something to ask about, and perhaps to experiment with.(This message has been edited by seattlepioneer)