Devine Retribution?

Or a really obscure one: What side-kick character on radio was voiced by an actor who would later voice a villain in a movie who was beaten by an actor who played the same side-kick character as the first actor, but on TV (for twenty points...)?????(This message has been edited by AZMike)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If some of you remember Wild Bill Hickock from television, then you guys are a lot older than I thought you were, and so, for that matter, is TV...Wild Bill died in 1876.

AZMike: To the obscure question: I think it might be Kato (of Green Hornet fame), but I'm a bit unsure because Keye Luke played Kato in the 1940's serials, then voiced a villain that was defeated by Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon, and of course Bruce Lee played Kato in the television series. The reason I'm unsure is that Keye Luke didn't voice Kato in the radio version. Raymond Toyo (Tokutaro Hayashi), Rollon Parker and Michael Tolan (in that order) voiced Kato on radio.

Oh - and I may as well answer the Lone Ranger question - The Lone Ranger's grand-nephew was Britt Reid, aka the Green Hornet.

AZ is right; Robert Conrad was the voice of Matt Dillon. Picture him next to James Arness, and you understand my amusement. We listend on a five band floor console radio with buttons. Of course we also listened to other stuff with our parents, but we got 7 to 9 on Saturday nights most of the time. We did not have a dependable TV until Christmas of 1955 or so did not see much of the really early stuff unless at grandparents.

Years ago, we were driving out to Edwards AFB for a Friday through Sunday outing and tour, and I had 5 or 6 kids in the van. We picked up a station from somewhere playing a suspense program of some kind. We arrived at the campsite just before 10PM, and I had 3 scouts refuse to leave the van until the show finished at 10, they were so hooked. Proof again that they still "can" use their imaginations under the right situations.

(This message has been edited by skeptic)

"AZMike: To the obscure question: I think it might be Kato (of Green Hornet fame), but I'm a bit unsure because Keye Luke played Kato in the 1940's serials, then voiced a villain that was defeated by Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon, and of course Bruce Lee played Kato in the television series. The reason I'm unsure is that Keye Luke didn't voice Kato in the radio version. Raymond Toyo (Tokutaro Hayashi), Rollon Parker and Michael Tolan (in that order) voiced Kato on radio."

My bad, I muffed writing the question. Keye Luke played Kato (the Green Hornet's assistant, not the Kato who was O.J. Simpson's or Inspector Clouseau's) in the Universal movie serial, not the radio show. He would later dub the voice for Han, the villain in "Enter the Dragon," as the Chinese actor who played Han did not speak English well enough for American audiences. Luke also played the kindly Master Po in the ABC "Kung Fu" series, who mentored Kwai Chang Caine...a role that Bruce Lee auditioned for, but Lee was thought to be "too Asian" by network execs. You are correct!

And yes, the Green Hornet was the grand-nephew of the Lone Ranger. Well done.

The Lone Ranger's Code is still a good one:

I believe...

that to have a friend, a man must be one.

that all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.

that God put the firewood there, but that every man must gather and light it himself.

in being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right.

that a man should make the most of what equipment he has.

that 'this government of the people, by the people, and for the people' shall live always.

that men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.

that sooner or later...somewhere...somehow...we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.

that all things change but truth, and that truth alone, lives on forever.

in my Creator, my country, my fellow man.

I'm not sure about the foray into utilitarianism, but it's not a bad adjunct to the Scout Law and Oath.

That I became a bugler is due in no small part to Captain Gallant of the French Foreign Legion and Boots and Saddles.

I learned the french call to the colors and tatoo from the former (opened and closed the show), and many a call from the latter.

I was once asked to play for the raising of the US flag the first official time at a new campground. I practiced for the week before to regain my lip, and even my good wife thought I sounded good. On the appointed day, I was there in full uni, bugle polished up, flag ready to raise, and I froze. After 30 years, I could not remember the start of CttCs! I played the french CttCs, it tripped off my lips easily. No one ever mentioned the difference to me, I guess it just sounded right, somehow..... Thank you, Buster Crabbe and Cuffee.

Rod serling smoked big cigars and was only about 4'10" tall. Met him at a book signing, once.

Speaking of thread hijacks...

I knew I was a grown-up when I heard the finale of the William Tell Overture at the Wilhelm Tell Festival in New Glarus, Wisconsin and didn't immediately think of the Lone Ranger. Of course, that was just last Labor Day just a couple of months before my 50th - and it lasted a whole hour since the next time I heard it, an hour later in town, I couldn't stop my self from hollering "Hiyo Silver, Away!"

I'm not quite old enough to remember listening to radio shows unless they centered around music or comedy (Meryln - got any Firesign Theatre trivia?)

I did spend a couple of years of my youth living in Kansas, Colorado and Arizona. So Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Paladin, Bat Masterson, Bonanza, Wagon Train, Have Gun will Travel, etc. were staples in my house.

I still watch The Rifleman on cable and love that show. All those shows were kind of like a Scoutmasters "30 minutes." Anyone remember Branded, a post Rifleman show starring Chuck Connors.? (Bit of trivia - Connors was a Los Angeles Dodger, Boston Celtic and Chicago Bear).

"Anyone remember Branded, a post Rifleman show starring Chuck Connors.? (Bit of trivia - Connors was a Los Angeles Dodger, Boston Celtic and Chicago Bear)."

I remember it very well. The theme song was so popular around the playground when I was a kid ("Branded! Scorned as the one who ran / What do you do when you're branded / And you know you're a man? / To prove you're a man, you must fight when you can / To prove....You're a man!") that I remember an unauthorized version that was often sung at Cub Scout gatherings: ("Stranded! Stranded on the toilet bowl! / What do you do when you're stranded / And there's none on the roll? / To prove you're a man. you must wipe with your hand / To prove...you're a man!")

Connor's tombstone has a photo of him as The Rifleman, as well as the Dodgers, Cubs, and Celtics logos.

He was also the first NBA player to ever shatter a backboard.

I think Chuck Connors, AKA the Rifleman was a Chicago Cub, and played first base, save for the Cubs having Mr Cub at First, ol' Chuck might have stuck as you didnt have to be all that good to play for the Cubs during that era heck, any era

And as we slide back, all I can think of is

The end of the Civl War was near

When quite accidentally,

A hero who sneezed....

Can't remember my brother's birthday, but I remember:

"In 1861, the only fading goldrush.

The only law a gun,

The only cover wildbush....."

And the name of the show was? And where was it supposed to be? But where was it staged?