Devine Retribution?

Chick-fil-A Vice President of Public Relations Donald Perry died today, reportedly of a heart attack. He was the media point person after the fast-food chain's president reiterated the company's biblically based values and opposition to same-sex marriage.

Seriously, and in fairness, Perry stated that Cick-fil-A desires to not proactively being engaged in the dialogue on gay marriage. So, just as I don't speak for the company that employs me (albeit I'm not the CEO), Cathy was not speaking for Chick-fil-A but as an individual.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Divine

Posts like this are just about causing me to not look at this forum. All I ever see is hatred directed at just about every aspect of Scouting. Everybody knows what BSA is and stands for. If you don't like it go elsewhere.

GP1971, a sense of humor helps. I was thinking in terms of Andy Devine. You know, Jingles Jones, Andy's Gang, Froggie's magic twanger, Midnight the cat, etc. Now THAT is retribution!

Or you can think in terms of other stupid claims of divine retribution like those made by various televangelists with regard to various sins - Jerry Falwell, for example. Just roll your eyes and think quietly....'what-EV-er!'

Andy Devine? I always thought when Jingle Jones broke up a fight on the old Roy Rogers Show, that was a case of Devine Intervention. And besides, as Keith Jackson, as well as Jingles might say, Whoa Nellie!

I understand that at times some posters can take on the persona that they, and only they, understand the Scouting Program that B-P began and these posters appear to wrap themselves in the snow white armor of Scouting Principles and the rest should just thank Providence they deign to share their thoughts with the rest of the forum but once you learn to ignore us, this place is a treasure trove of scouting information and advice

I'm deeply saddened to have to correct the trivia master, OGE. But it was Pat Brady who owned Nellie Belle (the jeep) in the Roy Rogers show. Jingles Jones was the sidekick of Wild Bill Hickok. Man, we've gotta get together sometime to work on these memories.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

We old guys had the indignity of having to watch black and white TV on 12 inch or smaller sets, sometimes with round screens. Our favorite fare were the old B cowboy movies and of course Gene, Roy, Wild Bill, Hopalong, Cisco, Sky, and the Ranger. Later, only a bit, were Matt and the Cartwrights of course.

So, finish the names above, and supply sidekicks, horses, dogs, or even vehicles. This should be interesting.

Autry, Rogers, Hickok, Cassidy, Kid (some people spell it 'Kidd'), King (actually it was 'Skylar'), Lone (and Tonto [Jay Silverheels, I think]) and later Dillon and Adam, Hoss, Ben, Little Joe, Hop Sing (he was the coolest of all).

Back to Gunsmoke, I remember how Burt Reynolds got his start there as a blacksmith, Miss Kitty has been the name of several of our cats, Doc Stone was modeled after my childhood doctor, and then later Dennis Weaver had that signature limp but Festus was my favorite of the deputies.

Ours was a 12-inch Motorola. One channel, WBTV (Watch the Buicks Travel).

Edit: oh yeah, the animals. Trigger, Dale Evans rode Buttermilk, and Bullet ran along barking once in a while. Family: Sky King's neice was Penny but I can't remember the nephew's name.

How about Captain Midnight or Tales of the French Foreign Legion?(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

You guys are "really" old, or just good at Googling. So how many had a short period, my brother and I had 2 hours, on Saturday evening to "listen" to THE GREEN HORNET, GUNSMOKE, THE SHADOW and others? We also played 78 records from the 30's and 40's that our parents had; did not have money to buy newer ones til a teen.

Funny thing about Gunsmoke was Matt Dillon on the radio. I met James Arness at the jamboree in 1960; still have a signed photo. We all know what he looked like, and sounded like. The voice was very similar to the radio voice. But the radio voice was NOT Arness. Anyone know who it was? I find it really amusing, when I make comparisons. Hint; he played a detective on TV in the 70's.