Without emotion this stuff can be fascinating

I haven't written before about this Chik-fil-A thing, except to say that I have never seen one, so I have never had to decide whether to eat at one. If I were to pass one by and I were really hungry and had suddenly forgotten about my diet (which does happen now and then), I might stop in and try to find something that didn't have three days' allowance worth of fat in it. Unless there were people outside or inside lobbying for or against gay marriage, then I would keep driving and stop at Dunkin' Donuts (there seems to be a law around here that every town has to have at least two of those) and once again delude myself into thinking that their "healthy menu items" really are.

But anyway, as I understand it (at least from this forum), what happened with Chik-fil-A is that the Mayor of Boston is trying to keep them out of his city because the owner of the company is outspokenly against gay marriage. I can hardly believe that that is the whole story, because it sounds ridiculous. If those really are the facts, then what the Mayor is doing is clearly a violation of the First Amendment. It's not even close. And not just a technical violation of the Constitution, but a really, really bad idea from a public policy standpoint. People cannot be prevented from doing business because of their advocacy on political issues. If there are some other facts that I am not aware of, then maybe the answer is different.

And yet I think gay people should be allowed to get married. It seems to me that most of the criticism of the Mayor has really been a proxy for "I don't like gay marriage." But I think he's right on gay marriage, he's just wrong on the First Amendment.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>"New politics" issues might include such things as environmentalism & "green" issues, gay rights, other group rights, vegan/vegetarianism, healthy foods, etc. And these tend to work as a constellation, ie, people who have gotten past the basic needs/security "old politics" issues and are focused on "new politics" issues tend to be involved or concerned with several overlapping causes, all of which might be "new politics" in nature.

Yah, here I am a northerner actually agreein' with JoeBob. :)

I actually really enjoy Chik-fil-A.

Much more to my taste than Kentucky Fried Bird Parts.

But then LisaBob lives over there in that funny state where they must cook things in motor oil sometimes. :)

B

CFA's spicy chicken sandwich is wonderful...add their seasonal peach shake, and we're talking about a great meal.

(But not in the two months preceeding my annual PT test...after passing, tastes all the better!)(This message has been edited by desertrat77)