Without emotion this stuff can be fascinating

Kim Kardashian and other Hollywood nutjobs already did whatever damage was going to be done to the concept of marriage as serious business. No more damage can possibly be done.

I agree, and I've made similar points a few times in this forum. Look at what some heterosexuals have done to good old regular marriage, and you wonder how much more damage could possibly be done to this "institution." And not just celebrities, although they're bad enough, but there are also all those regular-old people who treat their marriages as a joke, cheat all over the place, etc. etc. And this is the perfect, sanctified institution into which we cannot allow the 2-5 percent of the population who are gay? It doesn't make any sense. And keep in mind, the gay folks will get (and are getting) the whole package, not just the wonderful wedding-day part, but for those who are lucky enough, the arguing part, the divorce part, the child-custody part, etc. etc. Some gay married couples have gotten divorced already. Welcome to marriage, gay people.

By the way, I don't think I have ever seen a Chik-Fil-a. There must not be very many in New Jersey, if any. We do have KFC's all over the place. I wonder what the Colonel would think of all this...

(This message has been edited by njcubscouter)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Yeah, I'm still trying to remember where I heard there was a boycott of Chick-fil-A?"

Maybe here?

http://www.wric.com/story/19124875/gay-rights-groups-call-for-chick-fil-a-boycott"

I read this story - it claims that gay rights groups have called for a boycott but never names a single one that has called for a boycott - it mentions the mayors that we've talked about by name, it mentions the Jim Henson company pulling their toys and giving GLAAD a donation, it mentions a regional gay rights group commenting on Cathy's comments without calling for a boycott, it mentions the Family Research Council and Mike Huckabee and his call for the "anti-boycott", but it doesn't once name any gay rights group in relation to calling for a boycott. In fact, it doesn't identify anyone who has actually called for a boycott - just nebulous "gay rights groups" that it doesn't name, which is hardly proof that anyone actually called for a boycott and reads more like sloppy reporting of someone who thinks he heard somewhere in some grapevine or another that someone may have said something.

"Or here?

http://www.examiner.com/article/howard-stern-calls-on-his-listeners-to-boycott-chick-fil-a"

I've already mentioned that Ed Helms used the word Boycott - and now Howard Stern, another straight man, sounds off on his own. So far, all we're seeing is some individuals with access to a microphone spouting off.

"Or here?

http://www.causes.com/causes/788416-boycott-chick-fil-a/actions/1668137"

I looked at this - the person who put this together claims 2,000 people have signed this pledge - had it not been posted here, I don't think I ever would have heard of it - and I doubt even the media is tuned into this one - again, another individual calling for action, using a social media website as his microphone, and suggesting a donation to GLAAD, but it's not a gay rights group calling for a boycott and it doesn't seem to be very well known anywhere.

I'm still looking for a call for any kind of organized boycott.

"I'm still looking for a call for any kind of organized boycott."

Oi, welcome to 2012, Grandpa!

That's like asking which organization called for the Occupy Wall Street movement, or which organization called for the G12 Summit riots. Do you think the SDS is still out there printing underground newspapers and flyers on the college English Department's mimeograph machine?

The nature of social protest in the 21st century is that of decentralized movements based on Facebook, Twitter and flashmobs. The use of individuals in loosely affiliated affinity groups coordinating action through social network sites, while remaining closely allied to the goals of larger political pressure parties and groups and consensus politics. This loosely-knit apparatus allows organizations to create political pressure while being able to deny responsibility if things go south, public-relations-wise.

I reallty think all this boycott stuff boils down to this...

1) Chick-fil-A... maybe you agree with their CEO's comments or maybe you don't. I'll eat there because its in the area when I'm hungry and want a chicken sandwhich. Its a decent meal at a fair price. period. They get their prices too high or quality too low, I'll go to the competition.

2) Dixie Chicks... here's the thing, yes most country fans are extremely patriotic. But in general, most US folks don't like to mix their politics and music / entertainment. Just becuase you have a microphone and can sing / dance / act / etc... do NOT assume your buyiing public wants to hear a political speech from you! This goes for both sides of the isle. These people are ENTERTAINERS and should still to what they do best. Most of the time I am listening to music, it is to TUNE OUT all the BS in the world (especially the political stuff).

So the signers and actors should stick to their craft and entertain people. If I want political speech, I'll go to a politcal event.

I think that is what happened with the dixie chicks.

As for a boycott of Disney, really HOW can you do that? Yes, you can NOT go their theme parks, but they OWN several media companies and PIXAR. If there ARE families out there avoiding ALL their stuff, I'd guess they just don't watch TV or movies at all! That would be a small fraction of the ultra conservatives I would think.

Again, people flock to Disney not because of their gay acceptance policy. They put out some of the BEST family entertainment going. Have done so for over 70 years. If they stop making good productions, then their market share will dry up.

I know extremely FEW people who's first thought when deciding to spend their hard earned cash is "Hmmm, wonder what this company's policy stance is on homosexuality or the current president or x,y,z..."

Nope, their 1st thought is, "Is this adequate quality for the price I'm being asked to pay for this good or service?".

Basically, you give a good value and folks will do business with you. You give a poor value (in quality, quantity or service) and they go elsewhere.

P.S. - I'd be interested to know if Dollywood has an anti-gay policy in their park or if they just get the anti-Disney folks by default?

It's weird, but most of the actors and entertainers who transition to political office tend to be conservative - Reagan, Sonny Bono, Helen Gahagan, Shirley Temple, Schwarzenegger. I can think of Al Franken on the left, but not many more.

How could you guys forget Gopher - err, former US Representative Fred Grandy (R-Iowa)??

On the other side, you can ad Kal Penn, who left House to work for Obama.

"That's like asking which organization called for the Occupy Wall Street movement"

Actually, I can answer this - the call for Occupy Wall Street came from a magazine published in Canada but available here (because it consider's itself a North American magazine, not a Canadian magazine) call Adbusters.

You're right, I forgot them. Jesse Ventura is so out there I don't think either side claims him, though. Weird to think that "Predator" starred two men who later became Governors, and a third who I think almost did (Sonny Lantham).

Googling it, I also found congressmen George Murphy (Republican), Bob Dornan (Republican), and Fred Gandy ("Gopher" on the Love Boat), (Republican).

But: Ben Jones (Cooter in the Dukes of Hazzard) was a Democratic congressman for Georgia, and Will Rogers Jr. was a Congressman for California for a short time (which he spent much of trying to save European Jews from Hitler).

Al "Grampa Munster" Lewis also ran for Governor of New York on the Green Party Ticket.

And let's not forget Pat Paulsen...

I think a whole lot of energy has been misspent on this whole Chick-fil-A thing. Basically an old coot who happens to own a restaurant chain says something about gay marriage and that gets liberals all upset (this happens far too often with liberals) and they start making noise about it. This causes conservatives to rise up in righteous indignation (this happens far too often with conservatives) and then we have Chick-fil-A day and kiss-ins and all sorts of nonsense. Basically what we have here is a massive pointless expenditure of time and energy and emotion.

This whole thing was on its way to being the gaffe du juor until Mayors Dum and Dummer piped up. It would have blown over in about three days -- everyone with a hankering for decent chicken tenders ever wonder what part of a chicken is its nugget?) on a Sunday knows about the Cathey's religious views. Just isn't much of a walk to get to their view on gay marriage.

But when Emanuel and especially the twit from Boston started talking about the GOVERNMENT taking retribution against a private business for the personal religious beliefs of its owners, the issue went to a completely different level. That may be skewing your predicted responses, Edad.

And I think your observation about the interest level of young people in this is interesting, although I'm not sure I agree with it. I do note, however, I've been surprised at the number of kids I've heard or read saying they're for gay rights, but give up CFA tenders?.....

(Personally, I'll go out of my way to get a large diet lemonade from CFA -- or two. Great lemonade without a half-pound of sugar.)

"Basically an old coot who happens to own a restaurant chain".....at least he didn't run as a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, lol.

I'll stick with the large iced tea from McDonalds for $1. If CfA can match that price for lemonade I might switch.

Let's not forget Ben Jones (AKA Cooter), Democratic Representative from Georgia,1989-1993. Lost his seat when redistricting put him up against Newt Gringrich in the 1992 election. I worked on a show with Ben before he was Cooter. Nice guy; smart, common sense type. Certainly a more decent sort than Newt. He wasn't in politics yet but if I recall he was on Equity (the stage actor's union) Council. Before anyone makes snarky remarks about unions remember that Reagan was president of the Screen Actors Guild.

He later moved to Virginia and ran unsuccessfully against Eric Cantor.