UK Scout Association "Sexual orientation should not be a bar to membership"

Following on from recent press and media articles about the membership policy of the Boy Scouts of America, the UK Scout Association has issued the following statement...

( copy and pasted from here:

http://www.scouts.org.uk/newsandviews/module/31/663/sexual-orientation-should-not-be-a-bar-to-membership )

"There has been coverage in the media and on social media of the recent decision by the Boy Scouts of America to uphold their ban excluding gay people from membership of that organisation, either as Scouts or leaders.

We would like to restate our own, very different position with regard to this issue within The Scout Association in the UK, through the following statement.

'The Scout Association is aware of the recent decision by the Boy Scouts of America to continue with its ban of gay leaders and members. We have been asked by our own members and leaders here in the UK, and by our wider stakeholders and community, to affirm our own position on this aspect of diversity and inclusivity.

We recognise that each National Scout Organisation within our World Scout Movement is an independent organisation that delivers a programme designed to meet the needs of the communities in the country in which it operates. Those communities will judge the relevance and appropriateness of each organisation's policies by joining or not joining that organisation.

In the UK we have a very clear policy and practice that welcomes adults and young people (boys and girls) irrespective of their sexual orientation. We are proud that we have had this approach in place for many years. We believe that this reflects the needs and wants of the communities in which we operate, and reflects our affirmed view that sexual orientation should not be a bar to membership. We believe that discriminating against an individual simply on the grounds of his or her sexuality is inappropriate, and is contrary to our interpretation of the inclusivity and values of Scouting.

In the UK, our Scout membership has seen significant and sustained growth over the last eight years for young people and for adult volunteers. We have been pleased to support Pride events. We openly and equally welcome LGBT and heterosexual young people, volunteers and supporters who wish to join our Movement. We would hope that as a result of further dialogue and reflection, the Boy Scouts of America would reconsider their position to further serve young people and the wider community.'

Wayne Bulpitt, UK Chief Commissioner and Derek Twine, Chief Executive , July 2012

What do the British know about Scouting anyway?

Yeah, it's not like it started there or anything.

William Boyce must have been so lost in the fog that day that he didn't realize he was actually in Cleveland, not London.

(Added: Ok, I guess Sherminator's right, you can never be too sure around here, so I'll do what he did: - sarcasm off - )(This message has been edited by njcubscouter)

LONG LIVE THE SCOUT ASSOCIATION IN THE UK!!

There has to be an acronym for that.. SAU ?? TSAU ?? Sounds so much more welcoming and inviting.. I know everyone who opposes their stands likes to point out the loss when they shook off the bigots.. But 8 years of growth is impressive.. Let's hope our BSA doesn't wait until it is too late to shake off the bigots and still be able to survive.. If not, it is a continuing slow decline to the bottom..

Anyway, I found this on Comedy central about the BSA stance (as well as Chick-Fil-a).. It was good, and not much swearing as they do bleep overs if a swear word is used..

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-july-23-2012/gaywatch---holdouts-edition

I fully support bthe right of the British Scouting movement to set their own membership policies.

And moosetracker, I'm sorry to see you throwing around term "bigot" for those who support the membership policies of BSA. As I've noted before, if BSA chooses to change their membership policies with respect to homosexuals, I will support those changes.

Do you remember the day you decided to support homosexual marriage? Were you a bigot the day before that?

"...We recognise that each National Scout Organisation within our World Scout Movement is an independent organisation that delivers a programme designed to meet the needs of the communities in the country in which it operates. Those communities will judge the relevance and appropriateness of each organisation's policies by joining or not joining that organisation..."

Well said from our British brethren. Now, next item.

Oh those who simple follow the policy are not bigots.. But when the policy is changed for local option, those who flee because they can't accept a new policy that every charter will have a right to choose for themselves, and everyone has the right to choose a unit matching their beliefs.. Those are the ones with the label..

In the UK, I guess they didn't have local option, either you had a open mind, or you had a closed mind and could not follow the new policy.

And when our scouts go to world jambo, every other nation in attendance will have gays and non-religious boys and girls from co-ed programs who don't say "A scout is reverent".

And yet people here argue that there are some consequences if we go that way. Where is the evidence that Americans are too stupid to make it work and Europeans and Canadians can do it with no trouble?

We would hope that as a result of further dialogue and reflection, the Boy Scouts of America would reconsider their position to further serve young people and the wider community.

Well said from our British brethren. Now, Continue on...

"Where is the evidence that Americans are too stupid to make it work and Europeans and Canadians can do it with no trouble?"

BSA24, the evidence is staring right at you, in front of you. Just read through these threads if you're not convinced.

Besides UK & Canada, look quick at Northern Star (before National destroys their working system).. They were American, yet they were smart enough to make it work also..

Our very own successful pilot test that National would like to sweep under the rug.

If you want a local unit to be more open you would have to take it up with the CO the unit is under. If they wont change, you go to the unit down the block.

If you object to the unit welcoming a gay parent as a leader, you would have to take it up with the CO the unit is under. If they wont change, you can go to the unit down the block.

I really don't see the whole national level public outrage for a small unit in Somewhere PA, who refuses to not allow women into their adult leadership positions..

I will admit to not having low tolerance for some positions.. Still I would let people stay or choose to leave Scouting when the policy changes. I wont kick people out, regardless of their position.. So maybe this will give you the right to call me a bigot Seattle, but I am a more tolerant bigot than some people on the other side of the debate.

'Skip, is the UK policy local option? If an openly homosexual adult was excluded from a unit for that sole reason, would your national leaders support the adult's desire to be part of that unit, or the unit's desire to set it's own membership standard?