LDS Scouts and Women Leaders

From another thread, "So no female scout leaders in LDS packs or troops."

The reality:

LDS Packs have many female scouters in them at all levels, Den, Pack, Cmte. Chair, Commissioner, RT Commissioner.

LDS Troops "Women do not serve as leaders for young men of Aaronic Priesthood age [12+ years old] but may chair or serve on Scouting committees."

11-year-olds [New Scout Patrol] "Women leaders do not participate in overnight camping with these boys." But women are sometimes asked to be the leader. In cases where the 11-year-olds have a woman leader, a qualified male adult is invited to accompany them when they go camping, instead of her.

Another interesting note: "Worthy adults, whether members of the

Church or not, may be called to serve as Scouting leaders."

Brackets are mine.

Feel free to comment on this rather than the myths from another thread.

• 2 weeks later...

My council is largely LDS (it's a Utah council, that's what happens) and I've seen plenty of female leaders (I register them!) in all programs.

Makes me wonder how strict the LDS church is on the policy at ward levels.

So it's basically the pre-1988 BSA policy? Women can do everything except run a Boy Scout troop?

"Worthy adults, whether members of the Church or not, may be called to serve as Scouting leaders."

How often does this happen? And what do non-Mormons say when they get the call? I'm genuinely curious ... Why would the Church call a non-member to lead, train and mold its future priests? Seems a little odd.

Shortridge,

I was told by a church leader to seek out the best scoutmaster available, whether church member or not. At one time we had a Catholic serving in scouts and he was a great example and leader for the youth. I think we have a couple guys on this forum that fit into that category too.

A non-member training boys to be good future priesthood holders, or rather to grow up as Christian men, is not really that much of a stretch. I run into good Christian scouters all the time. I think it surprises both the church members and the non-members that there is so much common ground once they get to know each other.

I have a lady friend who is involved with an LDS Troop with her son. She is very active and enjoys Scouting immensely. Her troop chooses to cabin camp at summer camp. But she is not allowed to be in the cabin. Instead she is given a tent to sleep outside of the cabin. She told me she is not allowed to be in the cabin with the males.

Bacchus,

I had always assumed that there was religious instruction in LDS troops, as it's explicitly used as a component of the Aaronic priesthood training. It would thus make no sense for a non-Mormon to lead an LDS unit. Is that not the case? And if there is no religious instruction, what exactly does the church use the program for?

I have a lady friend who is involved with an LDS Troop with her son. She is very active and enjoys Scouting immensely. Her troop chooses to cabin camp at summer camp. But she is not allowed to be in the cabin. Instead she is given a tent to sleep outside of the cabin. She told me she is not allowed to be in the cabin with the males.

That is a wise policy, but if you ask me, she should get the cabin and the troop should sleep in tents!

Abel,

Isn't that the Youth Protection standard?

Peregrin,

I agree with your sentiment regarding Abel's friend and her troop.

Shortridge,

The religious instruction from scouting for the most part is applying the scout oath and law in the boys' lives. In addition, the boys learn to work with peers in their quorum, or 2-year age range (12-13, 14-15, 16+); much like team-building for that smaller group.

Note that they also get some religious instruction in the Duty To God program, which is separate from the scouts but applies to the same age group 12+ (or the Faith in God program for Cubs and 11-year-old scouts).