BSA Should Ban Fat People

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay on message, please. A body part measuring contest doesn't help your argument, and you don't do any more than I do. Except eat, apparently.(This message has been edited by BSA24)

I would like to explain how it came to pass that I got fat.

Ladies and gentlemen, I got fat as a public service.

When I was a child, my mother said to me,

"Clean the plate, because children are starving in Europe."

And I might point out that that was years before the Marshall Plan was ever heard of.

So I would clean the plate, four, five, six times a day.

Because somehow I felt that that would keep the children from starving in Europe.

But I was wrong. They kept starving. And I got fat.

So I would like to say to every one of you who is either skinny or in some other way normal--

When you walk out on the street, and you see a fat person,

Do not scoff at that fat person. Oh no!

Take off your hat. Hold it over your heart.

Lift your chin up high. And in a proud, happy voice say to him,

"Hail to thee, fat person!

You kept us out of war!"

(From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/a/allan-sherman-lyrics/hail-to-thee-fat-person-lyrics.html)

I just had to register in order to respond to this thread. I am also part of this mega merger in Michigan where our council just had a merger (takeover) with the council in Grand Rapids. So now the Grand Rapids scout executive controls the new merged (takenover) field service council.

Anyway, heard about the SE, but never met him until summer camp this week. Holy cow, the man was about 6'1" and looks like he weighs 400-450 lbs. Talk about a horrific example of a scouter. When he expounded on his 40+ years in scouting, my only thought was that it had to be behind a desk. I would have thought that a scout executive should be a better example to the youth than that.

Your SE 's not fat he's just big boned, or maybe he has a thyroid problem or some other metabolic disorder. Anyway this thread has nothing to do with Scouters being fat, it has to do with BSA not allowing gays to be members. The OP posted this thread as an example of other ways we should or could discriminate against members.

Welcome to the forum Northern Scouter, this place is a hoot. You'll need some thick skin to play here.

Can't help but think that if we try hard enough we can find reasons to ban just about any and everyone.

Even the unkind people who want to go on about banning people.

Surely they are guilty of not being kind?

Ea.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to register just to answer...first of all, you quoted the bible and spoke of gluttony. Who are you to cast judgement on someone. Last I checked that was gods job. Second, I am one of those guys you are talking about and not by choice. I just medically retired from the military because the burn pits of Iraq destroyed my lungs. Two hospitalizations with pneumonia and 8 months of prednisone steroids took their toll. I went from 205 to 305 in about 6 months. I went from running my mile and a half in 10:14, maxed push-ups and sit-ups. Both at 70 a piece in one minute. Yes I got huge! I work at getting back into a shape that isnt round and so far I am back down to 255. I can still bench 415 and am running my 1.5 mile in 13 minutes now. Sit-ups are a lot harder but I still do them. Point is, judging a book by its cover is never the best policy. You would look at me the same as any other overweight dad volunteering to help out at camp. I have lost a lot of faith in the Boy Scouts after attending a camp at camp bartlett in Idaho. Kids come back from merit badge classes no better off than before they went. We had a kid trying to teach the rest of the kids how to use a compass and failed miserably. Not because he didnt grasp it but because it wasnt taught right. I had to step in and help him teach our scouts correctly. Shooting and archery...what a joke! Kids bring their targets back and no sight corrections or guidance on how to improve. I had to do that too. I came in my uniform the first day to camp because I got off work and drove up. I made it in time for flag retreat. I had some scout master tell me that I wasnt wearing a BSA approved hat and I must take my hat off and hold my hand over my heart. And this was while the flag was coming down. Didnt know talking was part of the position of attention...Seriously!? A military member would never take their hat off and put their hand over their heart. Unimpressed with the bearing and discipline these boys had when respecting this flag. None of them formed up, they moved at the position of attention and dropped salutes when their arms got tired. 35 scout troops and not one could get it right...not even a little bit. Well we will be working on properly forming up and standing at ease or at attention. So yeah I am one of those fat guys but not for long. However I stood in those shoes and I have a whole new respect for what these guys and girls go through. Maybe instead of castigating these people you could mentor them and push them along to try to present a proper boy scout image. I guarantee this future scout leader can still ruck march for miles with a 100 pound pack, land nav using a compass, grid map and pace cord without getting lost and shoot with the best of them. Maybe you would be best suited worrying about your own bubble before you step into someone elses. My take, BSA should ban ignorant people with ignorant ideas.

Josh(This message has been edited by USAFgunner)

Thank you for your service, USAFGunner. There are many other veterans here, although I am not one. I hope you stick around and contribute to the forums. Please remember, however, that the BSA is not a paramilitary organization, although we are uniformed to varying degrees, and the kids are, well...kids. An adult who publicly corrects or criticises another adult leader is just plain rude. You will find them in any organization. And this thread illustrates the attitudes I have experienced for about 53 years. WHen it comes to bullying, it is still open season on heavy people, and no, we are not fat by choice. But if it weren't for us fat guys (and gals), who would take the kids camping, hiking, canoeing, swimming, etc?(This message has been edited by papadaddy)

> Who are you to cast judgement on someone.

As you did? See below:

> ignorant people with ignorant ideas.

Oh, Hypocrisy, thou art a noble steed upon which I might ride into the sunset without need of company or shelter. Thou givest unto me the ability to thrust upon others that burden which I cannot bear.

All kidding aside, you missed the point of the original post. It was to make a point at those who wish to keep out atheists and gays because they do not follow the scout oath. Well, there are plenty of people in the scouts not following the scout oath and law: smokers and fat people.

And while a very, very tiny percentage of fat people do not choose to be fat, most do, simply by lifting fork to lips. Claiming that fat people are fat on accident is like claiming that illegal drugs teleported into your bloodstream.

I am not in favor of banning fat people. I am in favor of holding everyone to the same standard. If oath breakers cannot be scouters, then all oath breakers of all kinds need to go.

And military service is irrelevant to this conversation. Bragging about it in order to attempt to give your offense more weight or sympathy with your audience is the opposite of making a strong argument.

When I read your message, it sounded like this in my head, "I am fat. My feelings are hurt. I did not read the rest of this thread. I will do whatever I can to avoid any possible truth you might have posted because my feelings are hurt. I am in the military. I am a tough guy. I cannot help being fat. However, I can help it by making my weight go down at will once my injury heals. Did I mention I am a soldier so scout people will worship me?"

Not really much of substance there but outrage.(This message has been edited by BSA24)

USAFgunner. BSA needs leaders like you. Instead of loosing faith fight to make it better. I'm sure you can find a unit that needs your skills.

The reason why boys don't learn the outdoors skills today is because many leaders have little or no outdoor experience.

One of the best SMs I know is a disabled Vietnam vet and retired state park ranger. When he teaches plant and animal identification the boys are fascinated.

My number 1 go to ASM is a retired Army colonel, he's tough on the boys but they love him.

Find a unit that appreciates your skills and help some boys.