BSA Should Ban Fat People

NJ, the better question might be would Swift would consider you Kosher? ;)

Congratulations on slimming down.

BSA24, I'm also impressed with the waddling I see among both scouts and scouters. If you make people a bit nervous with your trolling, I guess I agree with OGE.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During my days working with the transit service, I once made the suggestion that it would be more fair (fairer?) in the charging of the bus fare to mount weight scales in the boarding steps and charge by the pound.

The suggestion was not adopted.

There's an international jambo going on around here this week, scouts from 17 different countries participating. Interestingly, none of their leaders seemed to be obese. Also interestingly, most of their leaders are in their early 20s.

I can certainly see how that would change a LOT of things about the older scout programs that they can offer.

Lisa, but do they smoke?

eolesen - I heard George Michaels say he was content as a hetero, until he tried the other team. Is he an anomoly? Could he have stayed happy as a hetero if he hadn't experimented with same-sex?

Me, I'm ready to get rid of all the ugly Scouters. I'm tired of hanging out with a bunch a ugly mugs that only a mother could love. Yeah, that goes for the women, too.

Honestly, it's the non-USA uniform that makes me look fat! Do I have to wear it? Where does my Atheist patch go on the shirt? If I wore my OA sash on my belt it would be more of a vertical stripe than horizontal and everyone knows that vertical stripes makes me look thinner.

I was born this way. Do you think I would "choose" to live a life of being bullied? I also spent 30 years leading Scouts in the woods while their "fit" dads sat on their arses watching football and NASCAR because, as we all know, SCouting is for wimps.

I am fat, Take a 2xl shirt......Do I give a rats behind what ya think......NO. The best part about this if ya throw me out because I am fat, I will have the free time to go to the gym.......

Just because I am large does not mean I am not fit....

Took a week off work and took the cubs to day camp, because If I didn't they would not have gone

Took another week off and took the Troop to Resident camp, again because if I didn't they would not have gone.

Just got back from a week with the webelos at resident camp, you guessed it.

Got an extended weekend in August to take the Crew backpacking.......

So remove me from scouting.....46 boys and girls would not have had access to the program that they were sold when they joined.

Sure I looked around at the other scouters, lot of wide bodies like me.....But ya know they care enough about their boys to take them to camp......

So 24......how did you spend your summer?????? how many boys did you take to camp????? How many days did you spend???? Miles did ya Drive???????

In researching BSA24's previous posts.....he views himself as a hard core scouter, who thumps the BSA rules/guidebooks when it suits his needs.....Goes to roundtable and does not welcome or make new scouters feel welcome. Awards knots to his Pack leadership despite not fulfilling the requirements........ He considers himself a fine shining example of scouting......

He is one of the POISON elements that kills scouting on the district and unit level....The Good Old Boys club at roundtable.......Sits back and complains that the round table program is horrible instead of trying to make it better........

Believe it or not, I am doing cub roundtable program, Kind of an accident, cub roundtable commissioner quit with out notice, stepped in and winged it.... No I have no desire to do it in an on going basis,

He is one of the good old boys who makes up rules that prevent my boys from attending the Webelos Weekend....

He is the one that blocks cub day camp, district family camp or multiple pack events.

He is the one that makes puts up roadblocks to new district level volunteers....

While I have not offered my hand specifically to 24.....I have made the offer to many just like him in the past 7 years.....and if I did not believe so deeply in scouting and the need of my boys I would have walked away.......

I understand the weight restricts at the High Adventure bases, common sense. I accept them with no issue.

(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

basement,

All of the arguments you make as to why you should be a scout leader we are thankful to have apply also to the secret atheist and gay scout leaders we should be thankful to have instead of excluding.

Sorry, BSA24, but you lack modern leadership skills.

Obesity is our nation's fastest growing demographic. We run the risk of becoming irrelevant if we don't adapt to things that attract kids today.

You can teach a kid about character and leadership using aerospace and computers. The secret is to get them to sit side by side with morbidly obese models of character.

We've had CEOs on our board say they want to send their people to Wood Badge, our adult leader training program, because we use these state-of-the-art techniques.

http://inquiry.net/leadership/sitting_side_by_side_with_adults.htm

Both threads are trolling.

Bah. This is trolling? This is trolling? Back in my day, when the Internet was young, trolling actually meant something.

This puffery? Trolling? Nonsense.

What we have here is a straightforward case of reductio ad absurdum.

As is clear to all, these original posts, in the style of "A Modest Proposal", are not actually meant to be taken seriously. They don't even have a whiff of wanting to be taken seriously. They are clearly and transparently an argument that it's absurd for the BSA to ban one type of leader without banning other types. The argument goes like this: "If it's right to ban gay leaders, it should be right to ban fat leaders. Because it's absurd to ban fat leaders, it's therefore absurd to ban gay leaders."

You don't get to be a troll just by calling yourself one. You have to do something better than this to earn that title. Please don't call this a troll. By doing so you are minimizing what a real troll is.