BSA Should Ban Smokers

Here's another distinction.

It is alright for people who are overweight or smoke to be involved with Scouts, because you can encourage the kids to encourage these Scouters to live healthier lives.

It is not appropriate for Scouts to encourage homosexual Scouters to live chastely, and considering the staggering number of CO's that would consider it immoral to advise any other way of life than chastity for homosexuals, it is impossible for Scouting to embrace Gay Pride, or the acceptance of committed or promiscuous homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BSA24 raises a good point. I am sick and tired of those smokers shoving their agenda--and smoke--down our throats. They all expect us to accept their life-style and treat it as if it was normal. They all want special privileges. Disgusting.

Fred8033: 4XL uniforms are for council and professional scouters only.

in the history of man there has only been one person who lived without sin and he has been dead for almost 2000 years.

Correction, dead for 0.01 years by all first century accounts.

The rest of the time I suspect he's been helping the citizens of Sodom make their case on Judgment Day.

Hal, "...shoving their agenda--and smoke--down our throats."

Take a deep breath man....Lungs, Hal, lungs.

To me the difference is that tobacco smoke actually DOES affect other people directly. We have no choice but to share the air at times.

It is not appropriate for Scouters to encourage homosexual Scouters to live chastely, and considering the staggering number of CO's that would consider it immoral to advise any other way of life than chastity for homosexuals, it is impossible for Scouting to embrace Gay Pride, or the acceptance of committed or promiscuous homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle. - Agree!

Conversely, It is not appropriate for Scouts to encourage heterosexual Scouters to live unchastely (or chastely for that matter), and considering the staggering number of CO's that would consider it immoral to advise any other way of life than chastity for heterosexuals before marriage or divorce, it is impossible for Scouting to embrace Scouts or Scouters born out of wedlock or from "broken" homes as an acceptable lifestyle.

I too, can play that game. :)

Since scouting is admittedly non-sectarian with respect to it's outlook on religious beliefs, if we ban one behavior that is considered immoral based on religious doctrine we must ban all immoral behavior based on all faiths. So we must ban;

Divorcees

Anyone that has had sex before marriage

Anyone who has has sex using birth control

Since it is the thought that counts, anyone who has had impure thoughts glancing at the bikini adds on Scouter.

Gamblers, including anyone that has wagered using lottery tickets, played pool or put money up on a golf round.

Anyone that eats pork

That's just for starters, but at least then the BSA would be consistent in it's application of moral standards for leadership. ;)

SA

So we must ban;

Divorcees

Since it is the thought that counts, anyone who has had impure thoughts glancing at the bikini adds on Scouter.

Gamblers, including anyone that has wagered using lottery tickets, played pool or put money up on a golf round.

Anyone that eats pork

Disingenuous at best. The above behaviors are all things that people can or should be reformed from (and pork only if you're a muslim or kosher). It would be appropriate to denounce these behaviors if they came up with Scouts (which they shouldn't). Since homosexuality is seen as unacceptable to almost all religious orthodoxy, it needs to be denounced in much the same way. However, it is wrong to denounce someone for what they are and cannot help being, because there is no course of action they can take to remedy their situation unlike your examples. Because of how complicated that situation is, BSA is all the wiser to just not deal with it at all because there can be no winners when a person open about their "aberrant" orientation clashes with the beliefs of a majority of Scouting's partnering organizations.

"Divorcees

Anyone that eats pork"

boy, I'm out on all counts, hope someone knows sombody looking to be a Pack Committee Chair

;)

Old BSA 24 is a hatin individual????

I know for a fact I will recognize BSA24 on sight because he will look like the Western rendition of Jesus Christ minus the extra holes.....

It is tough bein perfect.

I don't regularly use tobacco. I do enjoy a nice cigar from time to time with a bourbon on the patio(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

The theme of all responses to these two trolls is this: We don't like being judged unless it is something we don't do like being gay or being an atheist. Then it is a matter of policy, rules, popularity, danger to the youth, or sin per some religious interpretation.

Being fat and smoking are provably unhealthy choices that are bad examples for youth. Why make arguments in defense of these human failings and hold others as unforgivable?

Can no one see the hypocrisy there?(This message has been edited by BSA24)

We finally get to the point of the two threads...

So BSA which are ya gay or an atheist?????

did ya get your membership revoked???

Bottom line here......The BSA is a club. If you don't believe in it any more than quit.....I am pretty sure they excluded gays and atheists when I was a boy.....But both types generally got there can's kicked if they were found out....

The Baden Powell Scout association is an acceptable alternative. So take your Good Old Boys club from roundtable and go create a BPSA group.....Problem solved.