Boy Scouts award named for lesbian

Sally Ride is considered an American hero and pioneer. Sorry to see her go, but as a Boy Scout leader, I don't concern myself with someone's sexual orientation (Her sexual identity has never been of interest to me, and I don't really care).

May she rest in peace.

BDPT00

BSA-87 opines:

"Why are there 8 different Active Threads right now about the gays?

Really, this has gotten absurd."

Well I bet you know this, but here's your answer. Last week, somewhat out of the blue, the BSA publicly renewed its commitment to a membership policy that excludes gays. Their spokesmen then insinuated that this was the result of some sort of polling of the membership or relatively democratic process, yet there is actually very little (any?) evidence to support that.

The fact that there has been a lot of discussion since that public announcement is hardly surprising. If the BSA's top leaders had wanted to cause a tempest in a teapot, they couldn't have done a better job.

If folks don't wish to see this kind of public uproar and discussion, then folks should examine the organization's actions and policies that result in the need for such discussion, in the first place.

Honestly, I can't see what they thought to gain by the timing and nature of this announcement ("nothing new here, oh and by the way, we're still anti-gay!") Was it just a really slow week in Irving last week, or something?

And back to the topic at hand: Sally Ride has always been a person whose life and story I've deeply admired. Nothing's changed there, either. Actually, I'm pleased that the BSA would see fit to name an award after her.(This message has been edited by lisabob)

Lisa,

The announcement was sort of in response to the petition that was delivered asking the BSA to change positions on homosexuals. Since the BSA accepted the petition, some took it as a sign that BSA was about to change. The BSA then made the announcement that they were not, in fact, changing. It was more of a clarification than anything.

One of the first times I've noticed something get moderated out. Good job.

Sally Ride was a real pioneer, an inspiration to a generation, an American hero and I'm sorry to hear of her passing too soon. I know they weren't written for her, but are appropriate "ride, Sally Ride".

Brent,

Going back to the source: if the BSA doesn't wish for controversy, then the BSA shouldn't have such controversial policies. And they certainly could have handled the petition differently. Even had their public response been "we got this petition and so now we're clarifying..." that would have been better than "we had this super-secret panel that might or might not have actually existed and done the study we claim it did..." and certainly better than "this is what our members want" without actually asking the members.

Nope, the BSA brought this flurry of discussion and glare of spotlight on itself.

Lisabob - The article Seattle pointed us to in the 13th page Of "BSA says no to gays".. Which totally proves no committee or reseach was done, but definately points out, why they had to lie and say they did a board to review the question answers the question why BSA, did things the wrong way.. The petition was stratigically presented where the BSA scouting bylaws said they had to a committee for review..

Scoutings voting members may submit resolutions, which represent that individuals personal viewpoint, for consideration at the national annual business meeting. As directed by its bylaws, on May 31, the BSA assigned the resolution to a committee that will consider the resolution and present a report to the National Executive Board.

That was such an enlightening article.. Thanks SP.. So enlightening, I will repost the link here.

http://www.scouting.org/media/PressReleases/2012/20120607.aspx

That is probably why this review to this patition was originally stated to be scheduled in May 2013 (after a year of reseach)..

I assume that since they feared the time lapse of the year made them feel weak, they came up with a fictional review board that just concluded their findings after a 2 year study.. Had this committee been going on, they would have stated they already had a committee reviewing the policy and had started the task 2 years back, and they would use the soon to be released conclusion when they concluded..

(This message has been edited by moosetracker)