Australian Girl Guides drop reference to Queen and god in pledge

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1222667--australian-girl-guides-drops-reference-to-queen-and-god-in-pledge

The change in the Australian Girl Guides pledge comes on the heels of extensive consultation across the country, said Belinda Allen, director of the Girl Guides of Australia, in an interview with BBC TV.

The Girl Guide association is not connected to any religious institution and we accept girls of all belief systems and cultures, said Allen.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I promise that I will do my best; to be true to myself and develop my beliefs; to serve my community and Australia, and live by the Guide Law.

My quibble is that it reverses the traditional order of Belief, Community, Self. The best way to find yourself is to help others, make the world a better place, and not concentrate on your on belly button so much.

>>My quibble is that it reverses the traditional order of Belief, Community, Self. The best way to find yourself is to help others, make the world a better place, and not concentrate on your on belly button so much.

So if I remember history correctly, Australia was originally a prison exile for British subjects.

So I am surprised that they ever pledges to the queen to begin with.

I mean, "I pledge to the figurehead of the government that exiled my people" ?

viewpoints on others really want others not to exist at all.

Well I don't know about the atheists, some can co-exist with others, while some seem inclined to if not stamp out religion, then fence it into the churchyard..

Gays???... I have heard in recent news preists giving sermans about "slapping your sons if he shows any feminine signs.. Or taking all gays to someplace and fencing them in, so they can not reproduce and will die off.."(as if gays begetting gays is where homosexuality comes from).

Anyway it leads to the question of which group is wanting others to not exist?

I don't hear any negitive comments homosexuals make against hetersexuals.. I don't even hear that type of comments from the atheists (but would be less surprised if there was).. From what I see the most militent of the atheiests might let you out of your church yards when your done singing hymns and praying.. I don't think I have heard anything about punching out a person who prays. I have though seen a statement that they feel teaching your children about your religion is cruel and unsual punishment.

> want others not to exist at all.

Oh, boo hoo! Poor you! It's so sad! Those mean old gays and atheists in the scouts want to not be thrown out if they admit what they are! If we can't throw them out for that, we'll be denied our fundamental human rights. Woa is us! Where is Moses to lead us to The Promised Land?

Really?!? How do you think it feels to be an agnostic in the Scouts or an atheist? How about someone who was raised religious but went off to college, became a scientist with a PhD, and now is an astrophysicist and became an atheist after learning how the universe operates? Belief isn't just a choice you make. It is the conclusions you draw based on your experiences and what makes sense to you.

How do those people feel now? They get kicked out if you discover them. And you're going to whine that they don't want you to exist while you are hunting them down and tossing them out of the scouts no matter their experience or previous contributions?

You've got to be kidding.

The military accepts atheists. The military accepts gays. The Chaplain still gives prayers. The atheists still are quiet during them. The gays are openly gay now. The guns still shoot. PDA's are still limited by policy. The gay drill instructors still give push ups. In short, the predicted Armageddon did not occur.

What exactly is it that is going to happen?

(This message has been edited by BSA24)