Petitions delivered by Eagle Scout over Anti-Gay Policy

IF BSA leaders decide they wish to change policies BECAUSE IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO, I have no objection.

That's the only good reason for doing so, in my opinion.

The cringing cowardice of CEOs on the National Board (should that exist), would not be a good reason.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would your black employees feel if you joined the KKK?

Do you really think the BSA can be compared to the KKK? If you do think that, how can you in good conscience remain a member of the BSA? The KKK isn't merely an organization that doesn't allow African Americans to join.

Pack: that article is inaccurate.

"To earn the Eagle rank, which is in its 100th year, Scouts must progress through five lower ranks, earn 21 merit badges and serve six months in a leadership position, among completing other tasks. More than two million young men have earned the rank."

Haha. If they say a Scout earns 21 merit badges, and goes through the five lower ranks, (I guess Scout doesn't count?) and uh, doesn't an Eagle have to serve 4 months as Star, Life for 6 and Eagle for 6 months? That would make the statement factually inaccurate.

Sentinel, you are missing the point. It isn't about whether NBC conveys the minutia of what one does to become an Eagle. It is about whether the BSA is now attempting to apply its standards for adult leaders to youth members.

But before we jump the gun on this, I wonder whether this is merely some goof ball SM interpreting things as he sees fit, rather than official BSA policy.

Yes Lisa, I was wondering the same thing. But if it WAS some SM interpreting things his own way, BSA evidently took the opportunity to endorse that interpretation. I thought it was noteworthy because it is an example of BSA shutting a boy, not an adult, out of membership.

The article says he was denied Eagle due to not agreeing to the "Duty to God" part of the oath.

From the above article:

But a spokesman for the Boys Scouts, Deron Smith, told NBC News in a statement that Andresen recently "notified his unit leadership and Eagle Scout Counselor that he does not agree to Scoutings principle of 'Duty to God' and does not meet Scoutings membership standard on sexual orientation. While the BSA did not proactively ask for this information, based on his statements and after discussion with his family he is being informed that he is no longer eligible for membership in Scouting.

the fact remains he decided he was an atheist. That's fine and well, but he cannot be an Eagle if he is an Atheist. He is also homosexual, and his parents and lawyer would want you to believe that was the ONLY reason he didn't make it.

He will not receive his Eagle because he is a Atheist AND a Homosexual. He DOES NOT meet membership standards at this time...

THIS is truly a shame for everyone involved. The Boy doesn't get his Eagle, The Scoutmaster looks like a bully, the BSA looks like homosexual hating bigots, and the winners are the media, who get to resurrect the BSA Homosexual controversy for more ad revenue to their websites.

I look forward to the day the BSA gets rid of its DADT policy on homosexuals and gets this nonsense behind them.

I look forward to the day when people that disagree with BSA membership standards just go elsewhere and join some other group.

Wouldn't that be nice!

If you want to play in the BSA sandbox, you have to play by BSA rules!

nldscout:

I often seen the statement in other forums that those opposing the BSA policies should look for or start another program.

As it is now clear and decided that the BSA has the right to employ exclusive membership we forget that the BSA also wants to reap and enjoy its heritage as a national icon with a congressional charter. I have mentioned in another thread the BSA has used this charter to block competing organizations from forming. This is one of the reasons the BSA is continually criticized from without (and within).

BSA doesn't block other organizations from forming. But they do protect their trademark property ... as any company does.

So if you want to do similar things under different rules, just don't call yourself Boy Scouts or generally any combination of Scout and Boy. Try other names like YMCA, Outward Bound, 4H, Camp Fire, Woodcraft ####, Awana, Rangers, Young Pioneers, Pathfinders or one of many other organizations.

>> From his religion which says that it's immoral and thus not "morally straight". It's not rocket science to answer those types of questions, acco40.

My religion says nothing connecting sexual orientation and morality. In fact, my religion follow these principles:

*The inherent worth and dignity of every person;

*Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;

*Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;

*A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;

*The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;

*The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;

*Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

And in fact, I came to my religion BECAUSE of the foundational principles I found in the Scout Oath and Law. In Cub Scouts, we have these Core Principles of "Respect" and "Compassion," and it is just wrong the organization (BSA) only has to live up to those principles when it suits them.

Certainly I would judge a persons actual behavior, appreciative of Youth Protection guidelines and background checks for abuse, violence, criminal behavior, etc. But to exclude someone because of who they love, freely, legally, as a citizen of this country, is the thing that is morally wrong, in my opinion. And to exclude someone for what they believe just because it is different from the way you believe, is also wrong, because different religions and different individuals may define just what is "Duty To God" differently, and there should be nothing at all wrong with that.