Petitions delivered by Eagle Scout over Anti-Gay Policy

I am often surprised at how willingly people go down the road of comparing sexual orientation to racial discrimination, enforced segregation, slavery, or mental illness like irrational fear . Seriously? People can make these comparisons without a shred of doubt or sense of hyperbole?

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>In the subject of the OP in this thread, do you really see the individual gay woman whose son is an Eagle scout as 'anti-family' or something along those lines? Really?>The only difference is the way that BSA (and some of us) 'categorizes' those individuals. To me this approach, as with black persons before, finds its strength in allowing comfort with prejudice and its weakness in ignoring the individual.

Eagledad:

I just want to state that while I disagree with you 100% regarding the assumed morality of anyone who is homosexual, I appreciate the way that you have approached this particular recurring debate. You are welcome to a scoop of cobbler and cup of coffee at my campfire any time.

Not that you aren't still wrong, of course. ;)

-Horizon

'One person pleased to see this first major crack in wall of the national organization is Bill Van Faasen, chairman of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts. Also an Eagle Scout, he was the incoming president of the Boston Minuteman Council in 2001 when it became the first major council to include sexual orientation in its non-discrimination policy. Van Faasen said Turleys statement makes a change of policies by the Boy Scouts even more inevitable because corporate leaders on the national board cant have it both ways, running companies with inclusive policies while supporting others that dont.'

http://bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2012/06/17/boy-scouts-board-member-warning-reveals-crack-anti-gay-policy/rRnyvR6HTDvKSMLnevsDQP/story.html

SP- has nothing to do with the ruling.. It has everything with the shift of views in society as to what is morally correct regarding the treatment of homosexuals..

It is the crack in the wall that show the wall is weakening and will eventually crumble.. Within this year you have had someone quit a council board stating publicly the reason being this policy, a National board member publically stating his disagreement with this policy, and another council BSA leader (?or ex-leader?)..

What it shows is that publically BSA can not publically state they are a united front on this issue. I am sure that with each and every person within BSA that verbally comes forth to disagree, it will offer courage to others to publically state their disagreement..

The crack is now formed, now it will slowly widen until the wall can no longer stand.

They can't have it both ways. It is untrustworthy and disloyal to hire gay employees, give them control of corporate finances, and then also be a member of an organization that publicly and officially states that their gay employees are immoral.

How would your black employees feel if you joined the KKK? Just because it is legal doesn't mean your company and shareholders won't ditch you to get out of a sticky political situation.

This is not about labor laws. This is about politics. CEO types are very political. As soon as this becomes a touchy subject for them, they will push BSA over the edge.