Petitions delivered by Eagle Scout over Anti-Gay Policy

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Scout is Obedient.

A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, /*he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobeying them*/.

>>A Scout is Obedient.

A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, /*he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobeying them*/.

Agree or disagree with his position, whatever role we as an organization had in his development as a citizen we should be proud of.

The sad, if understandable, part from the article is that the Cub Scout seems to no longer be part of scouting.

I wonder whether Mr. Wahls would advise him to stay in the program despite its policies in order to garner all the benefits that clearly accrued to him through participation.

A Scout is Obedient.

Again, he is doing exactly what the Scout program has taught him. He is following the Scout Law and working within the system to implement change where he sees injustice.

I'd be proud of any of the Scouts that I've had the pleasure of mentoring would act in such a fashion.

Now to back pedal a bit, I don't know this Scout from Adam so I'm not giving him a blanket endorsement but I see no issue with this particular action. Also, at age 20, he is performing this as an adult in the eyes of the BSA.

Completely agree with you, acco.

People might support or oppose the stance that this individual takes on this issue. We may agree or disagree on the likely impact of his efforts. That's just politics for you. People hold different opinions and have different priorities. So what.

But the way he is approaching this seems to fit nicely into the Scout Law. Is this not exactly what we teach boys they should do, when they believe a rule or law to be unfair or unjust? Seek to change it in an orderly manner?