• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate this wide screen!

As you might know at one time the English outlawed the Irish language in Ireland.

It is said that the best English is spoken by the people from around parts of Dublin.

My parents studied Irish at school as a second language, but couldn't really speak it it.

The people in the west of Ireland didn't have to put up with as much English interferences, so the Irish language wasn't hurt as badly there.

A couple of years back HWMBO and myself spend a couple of days on the Aaron Isles. It seemed strange to be so close to home and have people chatting away and us not being able to understand a word.

I did buy a really nice sweater. Not as nice as the ones that my Mum used to knit, but close.

Eamonn

When my wife first moved to the South, it was fairly common for us to chat with neighbors and then later for her to ask me what they said. In some cases, it's tough for ME to understand the other person especially people around the coast. This is also true up North of the coasts of Virginia and elsewhere.

Pack,

I have lived in southeastern NC since 1977. I still met people every now and then that I cannot understand what they are saying.

I have a friend that when he says "tire" or "tower" I cannot tell which one he actually said.

About every 6 months or 3,500 miles, he changes the "ore" in his truck.

Me, I think I speak pretty normal without an accent, but I do use words such as " ain't, reckon, oughtta, yon't to , git, fittin to, etc" .....