Selecting National Convention Delegates

"Paul's showing what it means to not need a majority, just a 10% that's very ticked off, to have a revolution. "

And they "show up" as noted in the article. The Occupy folks could learn a thing or two from these folks.

SA

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington State Republicans will be electing delegates to the national convention at the state Republican Convention May 30-June 2nd.

Delegates to the state convention will caucus by Congressional District and elect three delegates and three alternates to the national convention. The State convention as a whole will elect ten delegates and ten alternates.

In my seventh Congressional district Ron Paul delegates have about 85% of delegates, so they will elect the three delegates and alternates. They may elect delegates in some other Congressional districts as well.

What will be interesting is who control those ten delegates elected at large. A coalition of Paul, Gingrich and Santorum delegates could control the convention.

Alternatively, a coalition of Romney, Gingrich and Santorum delegates could control the convention.

My bias is to join in a coalition with the Paul delegates to shut out the Romney boys.

There is also some other fun stuff to do, such as electing people to the Electoral College, the people who actually vote for the President of the United States (Should Republicans carry Washington State, which is unlikely).

A good article on how Republican politics are shaking out at the state level:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2018262937_bruce23.html

This stuff is interesting -- certainly more interesting than the actual race between President Obama and Mitt Romney that has now started. :)

I notice that the statements of Newark Mayor Cory Booker about the candidates, and the clarifications thereof, seem to have gotten a lot of attention the past couple days. Always nice to see anyone paying attention to my state, and even more so to the city of my birth, though most of the time it seems to be for the wrong things.

A meeting of mostly Ron Paul delegates to the Washington State Republican Convention (June 1-2) was held last night.

The following is likely to happen when Washington State Republican Convention Delegates elect delegates to the National Republican Convention:

1) Washington State has ten Congressional districts. Delegates to the state convention will caucus by Congressional district and each Congressional District caucus will elect three delegates and three alternates to the Republican National Convention.

Several Congressional districts have majorities for Paul, Santorum or Romney, and where those majorities occur they will no doubt result in the delegates for that Presidential campaign electing the delegates they wish to go.

2) Ten delegates will be elected "at large" by all the delegates to the state convention.

The Paul campaign is attempting to negotiate an agreement with the Romney campaign to form a joint slate of delegates, dividing those ten delegates between the two campaigns in proportion to the number of delegates each campaign has.

That would maximize representation of Romney and Paul delegates and eliminate Santorum and Gingrich from sending any delegates to the National convention from among those ten positions.

3) The Permanent Chair of the Republican State Convention, the Republican State Committeeman and Republican State Committeewoman are also automatic delegates to the National Republican Convention.

A Romney-Paul alliance was not one I anticipated. There is not much love lost between those two campaigns, generally speaking. But it's a way for the Paul campaign to maximize their delegates if they make this deal happen.

4) Two people will be selected to vote for US President in the Electoral College should Republicans win the state by a majority (unlikely).(This message has been edited by seattlepioneer)

Seattle, "4) Two people will be selected to vote for US President in the Electoral College should Republicans win the state by a majority (unlikely)."

It wouldn't surprise me. Romney is polling ahead in a number of states that the President won last time. This is shaping up to be worse than a Reagan landslide over Carter.