Is the AHG truly a Scouting program??

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BadenP: Every time you post your nasty comments on this subject, your theoretical namesake likely rolls over in his grave in Africa. Having his name attached to such bile must be very uncomfortable. For someone professing to be a Christian minister, I wonder why you cannot see your misperception.

Is it possible that Baden Powell might have been wrong about something? Anything? Is it possible that he didn't anticipate some of the changes that have occurred after his life, changes that might affect the application even of those things he was right about?

Pack; do not see anyone suggesting B.P., the original, did not make poor decisions or bad choices. Only saying that in this particular case, his pseudo namesake is way over the line; or at least that is how I see it based on his really ugly comments. JMO of course.

skeptic

Wow I didn't know you were in communication with or could channel and speak for the poor dead spirit of the founder of scouting, LOL. What else has he said to you? I really think it is really crass of you to even claim to know what Baden Powell really truly thought about anything outside of scouting, as it would be mere speculation.

I think your ideas of "misperceptions" may be your own. Like ponz you may just be way too close to the AHG subject to see things objectively. Not that you would care anyway skeptic, but the Council of Churches in my area has unanimously voted to ban the AHG from our churches because of their elitist and exclusive viewpoints, and the deceptive nature of their program.

Does the AHG hide the fact that they are explicitly Christian? ISTM that they're pretty open about it.

I really think it is really crass of you to even claim to know what Baden Powell really truly thought about anything outside of scouting, as it would be mere speculation.

It's not like Baden-Powell never wrote about religion. I cited one example ("Rock Five" in Rovering to Success). It isn't necessary to "channel" his spirit to know that he found attacks on Christianity -- including, yes, Catholicism -- disgraceful.

Hello jjansson!

I won't dive into the "is AHG a Scouting program?" question, but I do want to clarify something you wrote. You said:

"They make no apologies on being Christ-based. Girl Scouts was too, by the way, until the 1970s. Boy Scouts still is."

In fact, Boy Scouts is NOT a Christian organization. This is a common misperception, particularly in areas where the main sponsors of troops and packs are Christian churches (some of whom expect more religious training of troop or pack members, than others). The actual BSA policy does not espouse or require any particular faith tradition, except that members must have some kind of belief. What this means can vary widely, but it doesn't have to be Christian (or even monotheistic) in nature.

Lisabob -

I stand corrected - thank you. What I meant to say (and did not do a good job of it!) was that BS is based on God and traditional moral values.

"On my honor, I will do my best

To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;

To help other people at all times;

To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight."

These are typical of Christian values but by no means limited to Christianity. Thank you for the clarification. I also like the focus of both BS and AHG on loyalty to country. I recognize that AHG is specifically talking about the United States though.

F Scouter

Hey Frank still as surly as ever and just as uninformed. It looks like Terry must be real desperate for moderators that he appointed you, what a laugh. Yes you and ponzi will get along just fine since both of you have such narrow minded viewpoints on both scouting and life.

Frank all I can say to you is that the BSA is indeed fortunate that you are no longer in an active position to influence any youth. So now you can concentrate all your poisonous comments here in this forum,the only place where anyone will even listen to you anymore, lol.