Is the AHG truly a Scouting program??

"What would be possible (and desirable, I think) would be for troops and dens to be separated by religion."

And although Ronald Reagan would be rolling his eyes and saying, 'There you go again, Packsaddle', here I go again...As TheScout wrote a while back, "The purpose of religion isn't to bring people together."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the purpose of Religion may not be to bring people together, its purpose is to bring people to God. Then, of course, the question becomes which God where. Why, some may say, the God of Abraham of course, and them you decide which avenue to take, Christianity, Islam or Judaism. And thats just those three. It is possible for a religion to bring people to the God of their choosing, and as long as no one is harmed during that excercise all is good, the dilemma of course, is not harming others on your journey.

• 2 months later...

I realize this is an older thread, but I must say AHG is ABSOLUTELY a scouting program, actually more than GS. We converted our Girls Scout troop to AHG as we were disappointed in the way GS has been hijacked into a feminist "it's all about me" program. We love the Boy Scouts program, and several of the leaders in Boy Scouts recommended we look into AHG as a better option for our girls. We love it. We get calls regularly from GS troops wanting to make the switch as well. Nationally, GS membership is rapidly declining, while AHG is rapidly increasing. As as far as AHG being exlusive, 10% of our membership is Muslim. Go figure!

I don't understand how being a Muslim is compatible with being in the AHG.

From the AHG Statement of Faith. http://ahgonline.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=19322

"We believe that there is One Triune God Father, Jesus Christ His one and only Son, and the Holy Spirit Creator of the universe and eternally existent.

Don't get me wrong, If the AHG wants to limit themselves to Christianity, that's perfectly fine with me. But How can that be compatible with having Muslim Members?

As long as the girls are open to Christianity (who knows, maybe they will convert someday) and understand that all of our principles are Christian in nature, there is no problem. We are open to them. We pray, they pray.

BadenP, i'm sorry you have such a big chip on your shoulders. AHG IS a scouting program. It's not the only one, by far. They make no apologies on being Christ-based. Girl Scouts was too, by the way, until the 1970s. Boy Scouts still is. Not sure what your hangup is on religion, but nobody forces anything on anyone. Geez. If you have a girl that wants to do scouting, choose AHG, Girl Scouts, CampFire Girls, etc. etc. whatever meets your needs. Nobody cares. But to say a scouting organization is not a scouting organization because religion doesn't work for you is a shame. To each her own. Do what works for you. I hope you find some inner peace. Clearly you have a very large axe to grind, but it will no longer be with me. Hopefully other less biased readers will have gotten some useful information from my posts.

Baden P is kind of a funny guy. He accuses everyone else of having a closed mind, but then dismisses anything that is contradictory to his original ascertain. I believe that BP should first look up the definition of closed minded, and then should look up projection.

jjansson

The elitist attitude of your last post shows exactly why AHG is NOT a scouting organization. You all pray that your Islamic girls will "see the light and accept Christ into their lives".

What a condescending and racially biased remark.

Look I have been a Christian minister for 15years now and have been involved with an ecumenical association of priests, rabbis, ministers, imans, etc. We understand that we all have very different religious philosophy's but we respect each others differences and look for common ground for constructive dialogue in eliminating prejudice and misunderstanding. We all participate in various communty projects that benefit all those in need regardless of race, sex, or faith.

The same is true for the BSA, it is open to ALL faiths and the youth are taught to respect differences in beliefs. The BSA is NOT an organization trying to recruit or pressure all its members to become Christians, which is exactly what the AHG does and is part of its mission.

For that reason alone, as well as many others, the AHG is NOT, NOT a scouting program, that is the plain undeniable truth, like it or not. The very few scoutlike activities they do are little more than window dressing to disguise its true mission. The AHG brand of Christianity is not even true Christianity as was exemplified by Jesus in the scriptures.

I would very much suggest that BadenP read "Rock Five" of his namesake's Rovering to Success so he can see the difference between himself and our Founder where religion is concerned.

"If you are really out to make your way to success -- i.e. happiness -- you must not only avoid being sucked in by irreligious humbugs, but you must have a religious basis to your life." (Lord Baden-Powell, Rovering to Success)

With that in mind, what could possibly be the issue with a scouting program seeking to provide that religious basis? or to supplement it where it already exists? If Muslims wish to have an explicitly Muslim scouting program, for example -- as they do in France (Scouts Musulmans de France) -- then why not? Similarly, if atheists want their own scouting program, then why not start one? What is stopping them?

ponzi, ponzi,ponzi

You are really a piece of work. I am not closed minded as you have shown yourself to be in the past. What I do see is an organization trying to falsely pass themselves as a "scouting" organization which is quite simply not the case as my previous post shows.

The LDS uses its scouting program to partly prepare their boys to go on a mission at 18. They do not try to wangle boys into their scouting program under false pretenses to convert them to Mormonism. The AHG does exactly that however, telling their potential members look at all the fun things we do, and once they join the AHG starts its conversion process that THEIR brand of Christianity is the only true path to God.

If anyone is closed minded ponzi it is you!(This message has been edited by BadenP)