Is the AHG truly a Scouting program??

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Undoubtedly, BadenP will deem my opinion to be belligerent and closed minded as well. Perhaps, to save time, Scouter.com should rename this thread to - "If you agree with BadenP and/or want to insult those who disagree with BadenP, your posts are welcomed here"(This message has been edited by Rooster7)

Rooster

How about the title Those who Always Dish it out to others but can't take it themselves. As you, SR540, and SP seem to want to spread your own prejudiced and narrow minded religious point of views as the only way for scouting and salvation both. HMMM it must be so nice to be as perfect as you three make yourselves out to be. You three kinda remind me of the Pharisees in the Bible parading around with that look at me attitude and whom Jesus was constantly condemning.(This message has been edited by BadenP)

Maybe BadenP encountered a troop of AHGs who were more into proselytization than evangelization through scouting. But then there are probably GSUSA troops who are more into social justice than scouting and BSA troops who do more "parlour scouting" than anything else. Heck, I don't remember my brother's Boy Scout troop ever going camping apart from summer camp. But it's possible that time has clouded my memories -- that was 25 years ago.

Baden P's last post seems narrowly judgmental and Christian. Let me be the first to introduce an ecumenical note:

Oummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

AHG is more in the mold of the sectarian scouting associations you find in Europe, a continent where sectarianism was much, much more strident when Scouting began. The US avoided this sectarianism in large part with the establishment of two large, overwhelming scouting organizations. I believe the way our Scouting was and is organized works for a more tolerant and pluralistic society as we have become. Areas where religion was a flashpoint for violence and social insurrection probably benefitted from a longer road toward ecumenicalism.

This is off-track, but some might argue that it is indifferentism rather than ecumenism that is fostered by having non-sectarian scouting organizations. But be that as it may, my understanding is that the "sectarian" scouting organizations in Europe arose after WWII, not at the very beginning of scouting. Also, I'm not sure that the AHG can be compared to them. AHG troops can be religiously mixed, right? That is, the leaders must be Christian, but the leaders of a particular troop need not all be Protestant or Catholic, etc.?

Ill be frank.....Ive never ever heard of this group and im not a huge fan of the Specific Religion. Thats one thing i like about Masons and BSA is that you have to belive in something but its up to you what higher power you belive.

With that being said AHG is not a BSA program but it is supported by the BSA. as you can read in the following link.

http://www.scoutingnews.org/2009/07/06/american-heritage-girls-and-boy-scouts-sign-memorandum-of-mutual-support/.

So I wont pass judgment on it untill i run across it. However now adays when people talk about the scouts unless its specificly military they usually mean a BSA program. If it you look at it that wan then no its not scouting....but if you look at scouting as what BSA provides to people then AHG might very well be a scouting program.

Baden,

With all due respect, it's time for you to put up or shut up. You keep making a lot of accusations and claims of the AHG's true motives. Many of us have repeatedly posted information from their website, but you've repeatedly avoided actually documenting any of your claims. But then, opinions are hard to document.

BadenP said: "You three kinda remind me of the Pharisees in the Bible parading around with that look at me attitude and whom Jesus was constantly condemning."

I'm so glad that you've refrained from judging others. Interesting how disagreement over the AHG program can trigger such vitriol from a self proclaimed minister. Perhaps the AHG axe which you're so visibly grinding has more to do with your personal views on faith than anything else.

Hey everyone, look at me...I have an opinion that is contrary to BadenP. I think the AHG is an excellent Scouting program. Sorry - I didn't realize that liking AHG constitutes the wearing of ornate robes and saying prayers loudly on public street corners so to impress others.

If the AHG want to use the outdoors to deliver their program then that is great. I don't agree with the LDS Church on any of their doctrine yet they are free to use the BSA as their youth program.

If you mind it too open then your brains will fall out!

SR540, Rooster, SP

All the questions you have asked have been answered over and over again in the prior thread and in this one, "They have eyes but they do not see". The answers were not to your liking so you go on attack trying to legitimize the AHG using your own interpretations as facts, which they are not. I still say that because some Catholic churches support the AHG does NOT give it any more credibility or change the facts that it is NOT open to any girl or open to any adult potential leader because they are not a US citizen. If you want to go on attacking me fine, I really could care less as you three in particular are really showing your own immaturity and ignorance as to what the AHG organization truly represents.

Because the AHG emphasizes GOD in their program does not make it special or holy in any way since the god they represent certainly is not the GOD of the Bible, but a twisted interpretation of scripture that is plainly erroneous. God is a God of all people open to anyone who seeks him too bad the AHG fails to understand that in their own program. AHG claims to be a "Christian" organization yet it excludes certain individuals, and the so called faith they espouse certainly is NOT Christianity by any stretch of the imagination.