Does Mitt Romney stand a chance?

I think he stands more than a chance. It's probably going to be a close election, but Obama will not attract the starry-eyed folk who turned out in droves in '08. True believers on both sides will be out in force. It will depend on what the independents do.

IMHO, if you don't want another four years of even worse troubles in this country, Romney is the only sensible candidate. Is he lovable? No. Is he qualified to be president? Yes. Would he help get us out the Obama morass? Probably.

I think it doesn't matter if it's Bush, Obama, or Romney, you're going to get basically the same President except for a few "red-meat" projects for their own side like tax breaks, socializing medicine, accelerating/decelerating drilling permits, etc... That and a Dem will always appoint a liberal to the court whereas a GOP'er will appoint a right-leaner sometimes but usually a moderate.

There's been very little difference between the champions of the progressive agenda that have come since Reagan. As a result, there's been a lot of "managing the decline" of America instead of restoring liberties from economic to personal.

I'd like to see Romney run with Rand Paul as VP for that reason...

I think it will be a close election, because there's no real difference between them.

I'm thinking that if Obama wins, we have no more than 4 more years of him. If Romney wins, we could have 8 years of him.

Just a couple of out of touch rich guys who never really worked for a living.

I might just flip a coin in the voting booth.

I think if the economy manages to slightly improve, then people will give the edge to Obama. I think that is more due to risking upsetting the economy again. There is some benefit to status quo, even if you don't like the status.

The biggest issue I see with elections is that our society is becoming more divisive and paranoid.I find it unsettling that people think Obamacare is in intrusion into their freedom and yet they completely ignore the impact of the Patroit Act.

Too bad people will vote against the guy that the media tells them to fear the most. I'd guess that a majority of the American public choose who to vote for based on SuperPAC advertisements and not facts. That only helps push the decline of society along since it only plays on fear and lies.

"majority of the American public choose who to vote for based on SuperPAC advertisements and not facts"

Ain't that the truth and we have no one to blame but ourselves. Politicians wouldn't run the kind of negative advertisements we see if they didn't work...and the sad fact is there is ample evidence they do work. Heck you have to be more truthful in an ad promoting corn flakes than a PAC needs to be when airing an ad about a candidate.

SA

Sure he stands a chance. Just consider that his opponent has nothing more than his record to run on......and honestly, it isn't very good. We'd be foolish to give him four more years to continue doing what he's doing.

"Mr. Romney stands an excellent chance, especially if he positions himself as a moderate and distances himself from the anti-woman issues that seem to be popular with some Republicans. "

In other words, time to break out the etch-a-sketch :).

SA

• 2 months later...

I'm beginning to warm to Romney...although as mentioned by others here, there's not much difference, but one is a really nagging difference. The thing I really want to see is:

Romney's long form birth certificate...vetted by Sheriff Arpaio in order to exclude fraud. Only then can I be reasonably certain that he's not really an alien (this time the REAL outer space deal) from planet Kolob. All you Tea Party types in these forums are with me on this, right?

Heh, heh!

I'm right with you there, Packsaddle!

Mitt grew up in the glare of publicity generated by his father as Governor of Michigan and a candidate for US President, but he might have been switched at birth with a baby from Mexico.

This possibility needs to be investigated!

I check this blog for updates regularly:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

I was at a presentation by Gallup, and someone in the audience asked about the election. The speaker when through some of the numbers regarding jobs, economy, etc. Obama is at risk, but it is still pretty hard to knock out an incumbent.

Another political consultant that I talked to said that no prediction is worth anything until September. At that time, look at the jobs and consumer confidence numbers in the key swing states. If bad, then you might see Romney take it.