American Heritage Girls

The Little Buddy program was basically a preschooler version of some of the cub scout achievements. There were no awards, the siblings did not belong to BSA, and there was no official recognition. But basically, they had a T-shirt and a hat with Little Buddy on it and the siblings could work on some achievements during the den/pack meetings. It was designed for siblings, not just any preschooler. I only saw it for the year my oldest son was a Tiger, so this would be 2006, and then poof it disappeared. They had the supplies at the Scout shop, so this was a somewhat official program.

Maybe there just wasn't enough interest.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SR540 & Federalist

First of all I am not antiChristian as I am an ordained Christian minister, and an associate pastor for many years now, with two graduate degrees in Theology and Pastoral Counseling.

What I am saying is that the AHG organization is NOT truly Christian in nature because of their exclusivism and elitist attitudes. The organization does not truly follow the words of Jesus or the teachings of scripture, rather they reinterpret them for their own personal agenda, that is Pseudo Christianity.

Sorry Baden P, I'm not especially interested in one Christian labeling other Christians as being not true Christians.

There is a good Catholic Scouting organization that is a part of the Seattle Archdiocese. Were I to pursue the idea of creating a youth group for girls that would parallel Cub Scouts I might run the idea of AHG past the leader there and see what he thinks.

I might do that anyway just to see what kind of opinion I get back.

Frankly, I'm not much impressed with the obvious hostility because AHG requires that leaders be legal residents of the United States and such. Characterizing such requirements as being anti immigrant and bigoted and such is unreasonable at best, and bigoted itself at worst.

Perhaps one of the advantages of having a Catholic Church as a Chartered Organization is having reliable, expert opinion on such issues pretty readily available.

SP

Well there are many posters here who mirrored the same sentiments as I about the AHG. Maybe because your own posts vehemently defended the AHG you feel you need to attack myself to make your point. Even the Catholic Diocese in my area is now cutting all their connections with AHG, due to the efforts of my friend, his daughter, and several others in the church and the troop. So all I am saying is be careful with any group masquerading as a youth group when their mission is something entirely to the contrary. Since the Catholic Churches in my area have cut ties with AHG how much longer before the rest of them do the same?

"First of all I am not antiChristian as I am an ordained Christian minister, and an associate pastor for many years now, with two graduate degrees in Theology and Pastoral Counseling."

BadenP - well, I truly hope that you are saved. I feel compelled to ask. At the seminary you attended, did they teach that Jesus is God and the only path to God the Father? I am not judging you...but I am curious. I have heard from several others that they were not so taught at the seminary that they attended.

If the answer is yes, then amen and I hope one day we can reconcile our differences - as it is interesting to me how much we differ in our opinions - as we share the same world view.

If the answer is no, then it is incredibly clear to me as to why we disagree on so many things.

BSA uses the term "Brother-Sister" combination instead of twinning, so it's close to being the same concept, although they would certainly not be identical twins.

From a membership brochure titled "Boy Scouts and American Heritage Girls: why you need to consider both for your youth program" - "So consider offering both AHG and BSA in your youth program. This brother-sister combination allows for both moms and daughters, and dads and sons, to be involved together in similar programs, thus building and maintaining the family unit."See http://www.scouting.org/filestore/membership/pdf/522-010/522-010.pdf

I'll tell you what, BP. Give me the name of that diocese, and I'll contact AHG for you and get to the bottom of this, unless you'd like to do that yourself. All this name-calling isn't doing anybody any good, including you.

BDPT00

ROOSTER

I do not want to get into a theological debate with you here, I know I am right with God in my life. I will not presume to speak for God as to who is saved and who is not. One definition of Heaven and Hell in seminary was "Heaven is an eternity spent in the presence of God, while Hell is an eternity spent in the absence of God". I also believe that God is a God of all of his creation, as Genesis says of the Creation, "and it was good." God is merciful, loving, and forgiving. As to who is saved and who is not that is only for God to judge, not you or I.

Peace.

Yep, heaven forbid we have moms & sons or dads & daughters involved in an elementary school-aged youth program. ~rolls eyes~ See, and this is exactly why I'm not thrilled with the notion of a joint cub/AHG program. Already there are assumptions about cultural (familial, gender) norms that must be coming at least in part from the AHG side of things, because reality is that an awful lot of our cub leaders are moms, folks.

BadenP,

You said: I do not want to get into a theological debate with you here

Nor do I.

You said: I know I am right with God in my life.

My post never inferred otherwise.

You said: I will not presume to speak for God as to who is saved and who is not.

In my faith (apparently not shared by you), if you accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, then you are saved. Theres no reason to doubt that unless you doubt your own response as being genuine. But thats my faith. If you dont believe that, thats fine.

You said: One definition of Heaven and Hell in seminary was Heaven is an eternity spent in the presence of God, while Hell is an eternity spent in the absence of God.

Im not disputing that. In fact, Im wondering why it was in your response.

You said: I also believe that God is a God of all of his creation, as Genesis says of the Creation, and it was good. God is merciful, loving, and forgiving. As to who is saved and who is not that is only for God to judge, not you or I.

All your points are valid. With one minor exception, which Im not looking to debate - I agree with your assertions.

But they dont really address the one question I presented. If you dont want to answer, thats fine. However, for someone who doesnt want to discuss theology, you did make many statements pertaining to your faith. So Ill ask a second time and if you decline to answer (or present another dismissive response), I wont ask again. Do you believe Jesus is God and the only path to God the Father? If you say no, Im not going to debate you or judge you. Im just trying to find out if we have a basismutual ground as Christians on which we can build.

Rooster

In the Gospels Jesus many times had to explain and re-explain his parables to his disciples who seemed to have trouble understanding their true meaning, hence the scripture quote,"they have eyes yet they do not see and ears yet they do not hear." I clearly answered your question in my last post in a way I thought you would be able to relate to the best, and was not at all dismissive unlike your own question. However I guess that you just did not see the answer. It is clearly there. However this discussion does not belong in this thread and should end here.

As much as I'm in favor of Heritage Girls, the conversation between Rooster and BadenP is an illustration of how uncomfortable things can become between different Christian churches. They're both right ... so now what?

Bottom line for me, however, is that I'm still in strong support of AHG's strong program focused on faith, values, leadership, and integrity. It's a good partner for BSA.

BDPT00