American Heritage Girls

http://www.ahgonline.org/uploads/FAQCharterRep.pdf

Q. Who can be a Troop Unit or Assistant Leader?

A. Qualifications include:

At least 21 years of age and a citizen of the United States

Willingness and desire to work with girls, parents and Troop Board

Subscribe to and affirm the Oath, Creed, Mission Statement, Statement of Faith and all other rules of AHG, Inc.

Communication and human relations skills

Registered AHG member with Charter Organizations approval (background checks required.)

This is on page 2 of the document. I suppose a CO may be more flexible.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>

Ummm. Interesting issue.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a US citizenship requirement to be "anti immigrant." There are reasonable reasons why a Scouting like program might find a citizenship test desirable, and in case you haven't noticed their have been plenty of immigrants who are citizens through naturalization.

Personally, I'm glad BSA does not have a citizenship test for leadership. I don't see the need myself, but if other programs do, they are entitled to such requirements if they wish.

qwazse:

If a CO has an AHG unit and a cub pack, that's one thing. I am familiar with some COs who take the view that pretty much all major youth programs are worthy of sponsorship so as to provide a marketplace full of opportunities for local youth. It is even conceivable that such a CO might sponsor BOTH an AHG unit AND a GSUSA unit at the same time.

On the other hand: If a CO expects its sponsored AHG unit and cub pack to interact a lot, hold joint activities, etc., that's another thing. The closer the expected coordination, the less inclined I'd be to volunteer for that particular cub pack.

SP,

regarding:

At present, the hostility of Girl Scouts towards men pretty much precludes that kind of twinning,

My oldest daughter is now GS age, so I was looking into finding her a Troop last week. The Western Washington GSUSA website* claimed to be very welcoming to Dad's being volunteers. I haven't attempted to follow up though. We're in the same general location - have you had any dealing with the local GSUSA folks?

* - NB, as much as I could complain about BSA's various websites, I'll note that the Western Washington GSUSA site gave me absolutely no leads to finding an existing unit my daughter might join.

CalicoPenn said, To be a leader in AHG, you must be an American Citizen. You can delude yourself into thinking this isn't anti-immigrant, but I can't think of a better way to discourage immigrant families from joining than requiring leaders to be American citizens.

I really doubt that it would discourage immigrant families from joining an organization focused on providing fun and recreation to their daughters. In fact, some if not most may not want the obligation of serving the organization as a leader. BTW, shouldnt we (as a nation) encourage immigrants, people who receive benefits from this country, to have an allegiance to it? American citizenship is not such a horrible thingat least not in my mind.

Shortridge said, And we've all seen how traditional values is a great rallying cry to attract young people. That words to live by marketing campaign really improved BSA's numbers, didn't it?

Not everything ought to be about the numbersi.e. the one who dies with the most toys (or most members as it were) will not be declared the winner. It should be about presenting a program that benefits your children in a positive way. Id rather see my son in a small troop and learn how to treat others properlythen a huge troop whereas the boys have fun but learn nothing about character.

JMH--

GS of Western Washington has several info sessions this month. If one is in your area, it might be a place to meet the council rep for your area. If you emailed, don't hold your breath. Call council and ask to contact the specific Director of Membership & Marketing (basically a DE) or the Service Unit Manager for your area.

I do not understand where this idea that Girl Scouts are "hostile" towards men comes from. Girl Scouts welcomes men as volunteers and leaders. They are very protective of the girls while participating in Girl Scouts activities, but I prefer it that way. I do not want men having unlimited or unsupervised access to my daughter. Girls are encouraged to be independent and self-sufficient. They are encourage to do and learn for themselves rather then just calling a "man" to fix, pay, or take care of something. I personally think that this is a good thing. Too many of our young women today will just say..."DADDY"!!!! and expect everything to be right.

In Girl Scouts, girls discover the fun, friendship, and power of girls together. Through a myriad of enriching experiences, such as extraordinary field trips, sports skill-building clinics, community service projects, cultural exchanges, and environmental stewardships, girls grow courageous and strong. Girl Scouting helps girls develop their full individual potential; relate to others with increasing understanding, skill, and respect; develop values to guide their actions and provide the foundation for sound decision-making; and contribute to the improvement of society through their abilities, leadership skills, and cooperation with others.

BTW I have had a child in both Boy and Girl Scouts for almost 23 years so I certainly do know about both!!!!

Shortridge:"And we've all seen how "traditional values" is a great rallying cry to attract young people. That "words to live by" marketing campaign really improved BSA's numbers, didn't it?

Good Scouting - true Scouting - spreads among the youth, through positive, fun, exciting programs. How many young kids do you know who say, sincerely, "I want to participate in a Christ-centered character-building program because I don't like the increasing secularism in our culture?"

[ crickets ]"

About the same number of kids who say sincerely, I want to participate in a program that prepares young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the organization's Oath and Law.

[ crickets ]

Programs like AHG, 4H, FFA, BSA, etc. were created with specific goals in mind that when stated outright, no kid would be interested in. Instead, just like a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down, we offer a program they will find fun that teaches them valuable life lessons without them even realizing it.......and they invite their friends to play with them. We adults are a devious bunch, aren't we?

Thanks, Beav. Let's get back to the legal resident issue. We've had this discussion before regarding BSA. If the person is not a legal resident, what does that make them? Is that really anti-immigrant?

If AHG requires leaders to hold US citizenship or legal residence, why is that an issue?

BDPT00

I have a problem with AHG

The must be a citizen is one and must be christian is and other......

I was told that as a man I could not start a GS Troop for my daughter and her friend. other mom not interested and I am basically a single parent because of work schedules.

The GSA can and does exclude members.....Your too young, to old, wrong school, neighborhood or the wrong cultural or ethnic background.......

Yeah I gotta agree with Basement, AHG is nothing more than a highly ultra conservative and exclusive isolationist religious group using a youth group to disguise its true purpose of converting these little girls to their way of thinking. A friend of mine had his daughter in AHG and pulled her out when she brought home some bigoted racial propaganda.

As far as the GSUSA is concerned, my daughter was a member for five years, I was asked by the local council director if I would help out on several events every year. I never felt unwelcome, in fact I helped them organize their 100 year anniversary a couple of months ago, and was recognized at the council dinner with a plaque. So no they are NOT predjudiced against male volunteers.

Seattle Pioneer you are so wrong about the AHG they are prejudiced against anyone who is not American born, those girls are being trained to become intolerant bigots and is an organization you should avoid entirely unless you want your daughter exposed to their special brand of hate mongering disguised as true American values.

BadenP - you don't know what you're talking about. I know the program first hand and from what I have seen AHGs number one objective is to give the girls a safe place to have fun with other girls. While faith is important no one is forcing their doctrinal beliefs down anyones throats. The troop that I am familiar with has Catholics and Protestants participating.